• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

wireless networks suck

Gunark

TRIBE Member
So I went out and spent way too much money on blinging 802.11g hardware for my new apartment. Oooooh 56 megabits you say. Ooooh interoperable with 802.11b you say.

Well. Let me be the first one to tell you. This shit sucks. The access point was just down the hallway, and I couldn't keep up a connection for more than 30 seconds (har har). Now it's right in the next room, and it still craps out every little while. What the fuck?

After 2 days of dealing with this garbage I've had enough. Sure, cables are not sexy, but at least they work.

Moral of this story: no matter what anybody tells you, cables are still better.

labRat

TRIBE Member
user problem?

what hardware did you pick up?

should buy a mac, and the airport. works flawlessly.

air-bag

TRIBE Member
If you had 2.4GHz wireless phones operating it could have been the problem.

besides, the 11g is in its teens. Let them debug it first.

Gunark

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by labRat
user problem?

what hardware did you pick up?

should buy a mac, and the airport. works flawlessly.

yeah that's the stupid part... my tibook with a 802.11b airport card works puurrrfectly. Even standing right next to the stupid PC the signal level is fine (while the PC shows no signal level at all)

it was all Linksys stuff (which I believe is another name for Cisco)

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Gunark

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by atomic
what kind of router/cards did you get?

are you using notebooks, desktops?

Linksys Wireless-G router, Linksys Wireless-G PCI cards for 2 PC's, and a titanium powerbook with a 802.11b airport card (the only machine working just fine).

klaarwater

TRIBE Member
Could be how you have your antennae arranged etc.
I used a 11Mbit router for a year or so with no problems, used to sit outside with my laptop and drink beer. It is true that cables to provide a more stable connection, but you may be able to troubleshoot your probs. If you are using a desktop workstation wireless is pointless.... if you have a laptop that you use all over the wireless is handy.

wireless can be ultra awesome, but the routers you get aren't FM Radio stations so you gots to centralise the router maybe ceiling mounting it in the hallway would help... did that at an old apartment...

If you are gonna give up on wireless - how much u want for your router? ;)

klaarwater

TRIBE Member
further to my other post... desktop wireless is kinda stupid... its in one place forever... hook the wire up! heheh

I have had similar problems with desktop wireless... only worked when I attached a MAC USB wireless unit.... the PC wierless cards are a complete hack of PCMCIA cards and work about a well as interfacing a toaster with your PCI bus.

atomic

TRIBE Member
Macworld's June 03 issue did some wireless tests with 5 different routers (Apple's AirPort Extreme, Belkin's 54g, Bullalo Technology's AirStation G54, D-Link AirPlusXtreme, Linksys Wireless-G) and found that the Belkin edged the others in throughput and performance. maybe it's worth looking into that router.

nice to see your tibook could handle the connection fine, seeing how it's titanium case is considered by many to be less efficient for wireless than it's aluminium bretheren.

Balzz

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Gunark

it was all Linksys stuff (which I believe is another name for Cisco)

Cisco acquired Linksys, but the Linksys product is still Linksys. Cisco's Aironet portfolio is one of, if not, the strongest in the 802.11b arena.

And second, you probably shouldn't have bought into marketing hype for an 802.11g draft product.

Chubbs

TRIBE Member
Gooooo team fully gigabit ethernet wired house :D

In less than a month every room in my house will have an ethernet jack in it :)

Balzz

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ~EasyC~
Gooooo team fully gigabit ethernet wired house :D

In less than a month every room in my house will have an ethernet jack in it :)

What kinda switch do you have in mind?

Chubbs

TRIBE Member
I'll figure that out once I've run all the wire... right now we are just punching holes in the walls and running all the wire down to the basement... Most rooms will have 2 ethernet jacks, on opposite ends of the house, running down the side walls...

I'm going to need a pretty large switch... theres prolly 7 or 8 computers in the house already.. and we plan on adding a few more for various reasons...

My master plan is to have everything wired to an infrared remote... and control the whole house from my PDA....

*evil grin* Muahhahaha

Balzz

TRIBE Member
I'm planning to get my new place cabled before I move in - hopefully one of the cabling techs at work will do it for some cash. I've got a 3Com 4400-PWR in my trunk that's going to terminate all the drops and just for shits and giggles, I'm liberating a BCM400 from the lab to set up an IP-PBX at home, with Nortel i2004 phones hanging off the powered ethernet ports. Gonna set up an IP trunk into the office so that non-local calls are routed to the PBX at work and local hop-off through our regional offices. Fuck I'm a geek. :D

And callers will get my autoattendant - "You have reached Shane's home...to reach the kitchen, use extension 101. To reach the living room, extension 102..."

:D

Balzz

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ~EasyC~
I'll figure that out once I've run all the wire... right now we are just punching holes in the walls and running all the wire down to the basement... Most rooms will have 2 ethernet jacks, on opposite ends of the house, running down the side walls...

GigE is nice and all, but trust me, you don't need it unless you have a server farm, or you're doing heavy realtime video-rendering and such. I guess you're already pretty familiar with terminating Cat5e/6 to spec?

Chubbs

TRIBE Member
My house is going to be a computer geeks heaven.. everything is connected to everything... we have microservers that will control audio and video distribution in the house and such, plus a bunch of fileservers/webservers in the basement as well...

Granted we are slowly making progress to it all.. The project will prolly take another year to compete fully as we are renovating the whole house completly... and for the most part by ourselves as well..

So its slow going.

Quirkz

TRIBE Member
It's not like 802.11b is a subset of g.. OFDM is completly different then the way b is implemented. I'd bet Apple's wireless implementation of b is particularly nasty to a 802.11g network. I don't know why you are bitching at the technology though, you should have done some more research... there's lots of interoperability tests available online.

I wouldn't bother with g unless every machine was going to be g. I would set it up to ignore b devices. For the mac, I'd get a wireless to wired g bridge.

Or maybe you could set the channels on an old b AP and the g AP so they are as far as possible from each other on the 2.4 spectrum from your g router.. They shouldn't interfere that much.

Balzz

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Quirkz
It's not like 802.11b is a subset of g.. OFDM is completly different then the way b is implemented. I'd bet Apple's wireless implementation of b is particularly nasty to a 802.11g network. I don't know why you are bitching at the technology though, you should have done some more research... there's lots of interoperability tests available online.

Hell, final 802.11g had to be throttled back to ~20mbps for full backwards compatability so on that alone, it's obvious that "wireless G" would be spotty. Funny how people bitch about technology without an understanding of it.

Dr. Grinch

TRIBE Member
Turn off WEP and you won't lose your connection. I also sincerely hope you're NOT using the Windows XP built in wireless client. If you are then that's also the majority of your problem.

Quirkz

TRIBE Member
Hell, final 802.11g had to be throttled back to ~20mbps for full backwards compatability so on that alone, it's obvious that "wireless G" would be spotty. Funny how people bitch about technology without an understanding of it.

The OFDM modulation is robust and effecient compared 802.11b.. particularly in a space with a lot of reflections. The biggest problem with G is it makes so many comprimises to work with b. If only people weren't so cheap and suspicious of new consumer tech their wouldn't be such pressure for backward compatibilities.

The military allocated huge chunks of spectrum before they even had digital communications. If/when they give some of that up there'd be really cool toys on the market..

I'm going to need a pretty large switch... theres prolly 7 or 8 computers in the house already.. and we plan on adding a few more for various reasons...

My master plan is to have everything wired to an infrared remote... and control the whole house from my PDA....

*evil grin* Muahhahaha

Why are you not using wireless? Seriously, I can't think of any good reason to go with wired.. You'll still be able to stream dvd quality video with a wireless network. Adding and removing computers from the network is trivial. Changing the topology of a wireless network is trvial. Two subnets on seperate channels with WEP enabled is like having two physically seperate networks, and with a few clicks they can be made one or non-WEP enabled. People can comeover with laptops. You would wire your servers and uplink directly to the AP/router. You can even use an older box as your server/AP with linux, you don't need an actual AP or router, just the wireless card.

Why use a pda to control your house? Make a program that can be controled with SMS messages.. that'd be cooler.

Balzz

TRIBE Member
Actually, you don't even need separate channels...you can create VLANs with different SSIDs on the same AP now. :D

Smiley Jo

TRIBE Member
SHANE - get on MSN please!!

Who crashed in turn 1??
I don't know what's happening!!!!

:(

SJ
bloblaugh.gif

Dr. Grinch

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Balzz
Actually, you don't even need separate channels...you can create VLANs with different SSIDs on the same AP now. :D

If you bought Aironet gear, for sure.. chances are he bought LinkSys cause it's cheap in comparison to Cisco.
I don't think Cisco have a .11g wireless AP on the market at this point even.

Balzz

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Dr. Grinch
If you bought Aironet gear, for sure.. chances are he bought LinkSys cause it's cheap in comparison to Cisco.
I don't think Cisco have a .11g wireless AP on the market at this point even.

You pay peanuts, you get monkeys. :D