• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

wireless networking question...again

sohaness

TRIBE Member
ok,

we have a wireless network here at home with 5 machines. the signal strength is pretty weak in the basement since the router is located upstairs. we are all on wireless b cards (including the router).

i have stumbled upon an excellent deal on a linksys wireless g router. now my question is, can i hook that sucker up between the basement and the b router to increase the signal strength into the basement?

steve.

BayStreetBoi

TRIBE Member
If you are able to run a physical cable between the two wireless routers, it'll work fine.

Unfortunately the routers cannot be set up to both speak to each other (wirelessly) AND act as an access point for other wireless computers at the same time.

Dr. Grinch

TRIBE Member
Step 1) Buy Linksys WRT54-G or GS router
Step 2) Apply Hacked Firmware
Step 3) Crank gain on output to 5 times it's normal strength
Step 4) Profit.

Supplemental: Using the hacked firmware you can do what you where describing using 2 or more of those Linksys Routers. You could actually expand it out infinitely.

sohaness

TRIBE Member
^ that's the router i'm getting. the WRT54-G.

where can i download this hacked firmware?

thanks!
steve.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

RhesusMonkey

TRIBE Member
Technically speaking, you can set up one point as a Repeater and the other as an Access Point, and have them communicate wirelessly as well. I think that's what Dr. Grinch was suggesting with his hacked firmware (as well as the gain increase).

If instead you choose to connect them wired, be sure to set them to operate on different (preferably non overlapping) channels. So like 1 and 7. If they are operating on the same channel, or even near each other, all they'll do is interfere with one another.

Second option, you may want to consider adding a high-gain antenna to your stations. Doesn't do anything for your transmit rate, but should improve your reception by a few dBs.

And as a word of caution, increasing the output gain beyond control limits has potentially one or two hazardous effects: 1) burn out of your Power Amplifier; 2) microwavation of your brain/sperm/popcorn. :D

lobo

TRIBE Member
Be forewarned though. I had one WRT54G router and applied the hacked firmware (Satori) and even boosting the antenna gain it did squat to give me good signals throughout my house. In the end, I ended up having to buy another WRT54G and then having WDS setup between them so that I could cover the whole house.

Before you go out and buy the new router though, try creating a free antenna that you can add to your existing router and see if it helps:

http://www.freeantennas.com/

Believe it or not, when I made the "dorky" looking antennas and placed it on the router I actually did get a boost in the signal that reached all the way to the bedrooms of my house from the basement.

Lobo

P.S. Grinch, thanks for the Alchemy link. ;)

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

RhesusMonkey

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by lobo
Believe it or not, when I made the "dorky" looking antennas and placed it on the router I actually did get a boost in the signal that reached all the way to the bedrooms of my house from the basement.
Yeah, a directed antenna will definitely improve your gain, but it makes it directed. Ideal if you're going to be stashing your AP in a corner, or something, because you will get like 0 signal from the non-directed side. If you don't feel like making one yourself, you can go buy a panel antenna that will give you like a 120 degree range and better reception.

I've also seen some good designs for long-range directed antennas that are cylindrical, and can be made out of a pringles can. Requires you to sort of "aim" it at your AP though, which is fine for fixed locations (eg: your desktop with a wireless NIC) but less so for mobile applications.

Then you could always go Hardcore
sniperyago.jpg