• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Wireless Network issue.. help.

OTIS

TRIBE Member
For all you network folk, I got a D-link DL-614+ Wireless router.. I have anywhere from 1-3 wireless connections on it at the same time, and 1 wired connection that's on all the time. Sometimes, when a wireless connection establishes from one of the laptops, it repeatedly disconnects the computer with the wired connection, and then reconnects it after 15 seconds. I mean, if this is a router, should one connection not effect the other. I guess you can call the wired connection the host connection as I have the util software installed on it.. should that make a diff? If I go into my network properties on my wired computer, it looks like this:

Now should I have a network bridge installed on my pc? What purpose does this serve, and it seems that it's the component that disconnects causing the issue.

Suggestions? Help?

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by pr0nstar
Um, no clue.

But can I ask, why you have a Gateway on one of your PCs?
If you have a Router?

pr0nstar
Yea I was wondering that myself...I think it was there because I have two network cards, and it's attempting to bridge them through a gateway..

would removing that one connection from the bridge help me?

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
Not sure.
But like I said, you shouldn't have services running that are being used.

But then again you're probably running XP :p

pr0nstar :D

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
I don't know ;)

But my 2k Network Properties don't look like that at all.

All I have is my 2 Lan Cards in there.. that's it.

pr0nstar

stir-fry

TRIBE Member
otis, i can't tell you what's wrong, but i have a router and my network connections resemble yours.. including the gateway and network bridge.

i'm in xp too

~atp~

TRIBE Member
Hey Otis, is your AS configured so that everything is running through the router to the modem then out? So:

{Host A, Host B, Host C} --> Router --> Modem --> INTERNET.

If that's the case, you don't want/need a network bridge on any of your hosts, wired or not...

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ~atp~

If that's the case, you don't want/need a network bridge on any of your hosts, wired or not...
This is what i needed to know.. yes, everything is running to the router, then out.. or supposed to be.. unless the router software created some bridge on my PC to filter the connections in and out.. could that be possible? How do I uninstall the bridge?

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
You installed Router Software? :confused:

All I've ever done with Routers is http into them and configure what's needed.

pr0nstar

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by pr0nstar
You installed Router Software? :confused:

All I've ever done with Routers is http into them and configure what's needed.

pr0nstar
No, I'm like that too.. hardware until software is absolutely required.. I mean the page that's accessible through an IP, maybe it configured a setting on my PC to create the bridge. Possibility?

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
I would doubt it.
Best bet would be to try and just disable the bridge...

I cant' see it being useful as you have a router.

~atp~

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by OTIS
No, I'm like that too.. hardware until software is absolutely required.. I mean the page that's accessible through an IP, maybe it configured a setting on my PC to create the bridge. Possibility?
Basically, a bridge is microfucks way of setting up a masqueraded/forwarding interface on your pc. So, if you were acting as the gateway/firewall for your home network, you would need a "bridge" to connect interface A to interface B (your two network cards).

Now, assuming your router is set up correctly, you should be able to reconfigure your network cards by disabling one of them (the one NOT connected to the router), enabling the other, and removing the bridges.

I can't tell you for *certain*, but that should be a good first step.

There should be some reasonable software that allows you to interface with the router and subsequently configure it. :)

EDIT: Microsoft tries to be too "smart" about its configuration, so you need to "show it who's boss". ;) ...oh, and the network configuration wizard can work, you just have to go through the options carefully. ;)

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Thanks atp, I already unbinded my wired connection from the bridge.. now to uninstall it. I have to wait tho.. my girl is streaming SATC episodes onto the video pc.;)

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

gasper

TRIBE Member
Rob, I have the same router and before I upgraded the firmware I was having some issues with it disconnecting sporadically.

Have you upgraded to the latest firmware?

take a look here

Good luck!

Jerrold

Balzz

TRIBE Member
Basically, a bridge is microfucks way of setting up a masqueraded/forwarding interface on your pc. So, if you were acting as the gateway/firewall for your home network, you would need a "bridge" to connect interface A to interface B (your two network cards).
Actually, I got XP to bridge my ethernet and token-ring segments in the past. :cool:

~atp~

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Balzz
Actually, I got XP to bridge my ethernet and token-ring segments in the past. :cool:
haha, the hAX0r winnAr. ;)

hey, btw, do you know of a vpn daemon for XP? Is there one packaged in with the other net services?

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Hey Jerrold, thanks for the link.. I updated & testing now.. I also disabled that bridge.

hopefully it's all dandy.

Balzz

TRIBE Member
btw, do you know of a vpn daemon for XP? Is there one packaged in with the other net services?
Not a daemon, no...I think I've heard of an ssh daemon for XP kicking around so you can use ssh to tunnel, but I've never used it myself.