• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Wireless Network can't get machine to link up

Humanjava

TRIBE Member
Hey Guys,
I am trying to get two of my machines to see each other in the network neighbourhood.

I set them in the same work group,
Same subnet,
No hidden channels, etc.

I cant get them to see each other on the odd time they appear in the work group when I do a seach it won't allow me to connect. I don't even get a password asking. They used to work on the same wired LAN.

Any ideas?

deevah

TRIBE Member
check the IPs, are the numbers similar?

i learned this one from ditto much
he can prolly help you out more than i can

Humanjava

TRIBE Member
deevah said:
check the IPs, are the numbers similar?

i learned this one from ditto much
he can prolly help you out more than i can
Yup also in the same subnet and both can get out to the net.

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

Shug

TRIBE Member
I've had this problem with a pair of wireless WinXP Home machines. Spent a couple days on it for a friend, never did get it going.

Saw them in the same workgroup, but when I tried diving in, got a "Network Path not found" error.

There's a ton of different things that can cause this. I'm guessing that the system in XP Home, because you're not getting a password challenge. Home has SFS (Simple File Sharing) on by default and is unchangeable, and actually makes file sharing harder.

WinXP Pro makes home networking so much easier. Good luck on your issue.

Humanjava

TRIBE Member
Shug said:
I've had this problem with a pair of wireless WinXP Home machines. Spent a couple days on it for a friend, never did get it going.

Saw them in the same workgroup, but when I tried diving in, got a "Network Path not found" error.

There's a ton of different things that can cause this. I'm guessing that the system in XP Home, because you're not getting a password challenge. Home has SFS (Simple File Sharing) on by default and is unchangeable, and actually makes file sharing harder.

WinXP Pro makes home networking so much easier. Good luck on your issue.
Ya still working on this problem. Both machines are XP home, even did the direct ip thing with no luck. What ever happend to my NFS stuff in Solaris.. Arrrg I hate MS

Shug

TRIBE Member
Upgrade to a WinXP Pro on both machines, and I'll bet you'll get it first try.

:\ Sad but true, fiddling with Home is just gonna give you headaches, heartaches, and maybe even an aneruism.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders