1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Wireless Internet Drop outs?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by ~decepticon~, Sep 20, 2010.

1. ~decepticon~

~decepticon~ TRIBE Promoter

Here's a stupid question - I'm using a linksys wireless modem and every day I'm experiencing drop outs. When a drop-out occurs I unplug my router and linksys modem to reset and it seems to work fine (for a bit and then it happens again).

I've searched online for solutions and I've tried changing the channel and updating the firmware - it's still not working...
    Has anyone experienced this and know what to do?

Thanks in advance!

2. KodiaK

KodiaK TRIBE Member

i call this syndrome "rogers cable"

3. videotronic

videotronic TRIBE Member

if the dropouts only occur when you are connected wirelessly its generally the wifi device itself and not the internet connection

4. glych t.anomaly

glych t.anomaly TRIBE Member

used to happen with my old Linksys WRT54GS. had to do a firmware update, and it corrected the issue.

it was hella annoying to me when i was playing WoW back in the day of only the first expansion.

[jai]

5. greginhali

greginhali TRIBE Member

linksys blows. I put up with it for a couple of years, with the same solution, unpluging it.
    I bought a D-Link Xtreme N Gigabit Router dir655. Never looked back. You might want to change routers. It makes a difference.

6. ~decepticon~

~decepticon~ TRIBE Promoter

cheers for the advice guys - I think the firmware update did it :)

7. RumRogerz

RumRogerz TRIBE Member

I experience this ALL the time with my linksys.

I've learnt to live with it. Sucks. But I think it's a fact of life once you own one of these infernal machines.

8. ian

ian TRIBE Member

Here's a little checklist for when this type of thing keeps happening.

1. Check for updates to your wireless card driver on your workstation.
    2. Check for updates to the firmware on the router.
    3. Try a different channel on the router in the settings.
    4. Check to see if it is distance related by moving workstation closer.
    5. Turn encryption on (you should have it on already or else you're a silly person), or try a different encryption setting.
    6. Try with a different workstation. . . same issue?

I know you've done most of these. . . just some tips for others. . .

9. Dr. Grinch

Dr. Grinch TRIBE Member

Turn off DHCP, give yourself a static IP.