• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Wireless Headphones!

The Watcher

TRIBE Member

The USB Wireless Headphones and Mike are composed of a transmitter that connects via USB and a pair of headphones that contain the receiver. The transmitter functions as a USB audio device and sends audio to the headphones using infra-red. This apparently avoids interference with devices that use radio frequencies such as wireless mice, keyboards and wireless LAN. The range of the transmitter is approximately 7 metres.

The headphone receiver also contains a mike so it is possible to use them for voice chats as well.One AA battery supplies power for the headphones and a NiMH cell is included with the package. Charging occurs bu attaching the headphones to the transmitter unit using the supplied cable. The transmitter unit is bus-powered.

The headphones have neckband-style arms and also have a volume adjust dial. They weigh approximately 65 grams. The transmitter unit is 36 x 109 x 70 mm in size and weighs approx 65 grams.

http://www.techjapan.com/Article924.html

KiFe

TRIBE Member
I'm still waiting for wireless ear buds... plug the jack in your walkman and cram the buds in your ear... no wires.. no worries.

What's taking them so long? I'm all tangled up over here!

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by KiFe
^^ i'm sorry. :(

Sorry your mom was here for a few mins but she stunk so I had to ask her to leave.

What were you saying?

:p

(and more wireless already these damn cords suck)

vinder

TRIBE Member
I'm still waiting for wireless ear buds... plug the jack in your walkman and cram the buds in your ear... no wires.. no worries.

except those would be SO easy to lose as they're not attached to anything

Karim

TRIBE Member

Hide them in a hearing aide and cheat during exams.

Some walkmans have remote controls built into watches.

:)
Karim

KiFe

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Boss Hog
Sorry your mom was here for a few mins but she stunk so I had to ask her to leave.

What were you saying?

:p

(and more wireless already these damn cords suck)

Oh yeah, well your mom went in for a hood piercing one day and turns out her cooch had smelly green discharge and cobwebs and all kinds of horrible shit.

It's true.. i read it on that 'horrible piercing stories' website... started with: "One time, Boss Hog's mom came in for a hood piercing and..."

gross.

kmsmith

TRIBE Member

Wireless, good. Ear buds, no good. Maybe my ears are too small, but does anyone else find these things to be extremely annoying and painful on the ears? I hate them...

KiFe

TRIBE Member
Yeah dude.. the typical ear buds always hurt my ears too... Since i got the SONY Fontopia ear buds, i haven't had issues and the sound quality far surpasses anything else in bud form.

They're great!

Wireless would be even better.

labRat

TRIBE Member
i don't see how infrared transmitter would be of any good. you'd have to be within line of site of the transmitter all the time.

what if you wanna pee
or shower
or let the dog out?

then you would have any music to listen to.

i'd say Bluetooth headsets woul dbe the best, then you can also use them with your phone when a call comes in as a handsfree headset.

KiFe

TRIBE Member
Bluetooth range isn't far enough.

I've got a bluetooth mouse for my htpc, and the thing can barely detect my mouse from 6' accross my living room... even with a clear line of sight...

I know it's not an optical transmission.. but c'mon... 6 feet!? so much for accomodating the average livingroom.

CiG

TRIBE Member
A few years back I bought wireless headphones... They've been great since I can't smoke in the house, or just for walking around the house... Plus they weigh like 10 grams...

Not sure what model they are, but they are Sennheiser headphones and I bought them at Future Shop...

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr

I've got a bluetooth mouse for my htpc, and the thing can barely detect my mouse from 6' accross my living room... even with a clear line of sight...

I know it's not an optical transmission.. but c'mon... 6 feet!? so much for accomodating the average livingroom.
Bluetooth range is further than that, for items THAT AREN'T MOUSES. What kind of an idiot takes their mouse >6' away anyway?

labRat

TRIBE Member

postmod hit the nail there. it probably lowers the power output to only go a few feet ... to save on power. otherwise you'd be complaining about shitty battery life.

bluetooth class one can reach up to about 100 meters. class two is about 10 meters. throw in a few walls and you're down to maybe about 25-50% of that. that should cover most use cases.