• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!
14K Cannabis seed slider pendants by tribe

wireless connection keeps dropping- pls help

kuba

TRIBE Member
I have a compaq laptop with a built-in wireless card/hook up. It is connected to the office wireless connection. Can someone tell me why it chooses to disconnect every 3 minutes? Sometimes it disconnects and doesn't automatically connect, other times it does automatically connect. In order to log on, it requires the security password, which is sometimes there, and other times it is blank,and I have to cancel, and repeat the process so that it appears magically.

Can someone help me?

Redout

TRIBE Member
are you using windows xp pro or home? is it updated with service pack 2?

have you tried updating your laptop drivers including the wireless card?

ibiza911

TRIBE Member
Are you using XP's wireless utility to connect "wireless zero" i believe it is called have you went into advanced settings and setup the WEP properly and assigned what key that your office is using? How good is your signal in there?

Sleepy Giant

TRIBE Member
It's probably an outdated driver for your wireless adaptor. I had a similar issue with my network. Once I updated it was much better.

Tribe 14K gold cannabis seed slider pendant and chain

kuba

TRIBE Member
Yes, I know I'm not smart, so I'll ask.

I have a built-in wireless card - how do I find out what make/model it is so I upgrade it?

philly

TRIBE Member
kuba said:
Yes, I know I'm not smart, so I'll ask.

I have a built-in wireless card - how do I find out what make/model it is so I upgrade it?
right click on my computer and go to manage. on the left hand side select device manager and on the right hand side, i think it might be under network adapters.

you could also go to the manufacturer site (dell, hp, etc), go to the downloads section for your model and they'll have any new drivers there.

do you ever bring your laptop home? do you have the same issues with your home network? another reason could be signal interferance in your office.

Last edited:

KillaLadY

TRIBE Member
Is it a Compaq laptop? I know from the ones here at work that the built-in drivers for the WLAN cards were outdated and the new drivers were available on the site.

Karim

TRIBE Member
Believe it or not, sometimes other wireless devices will collapse your connection. Especialy 2.4 ghz cordless phones.

technowelt

TRIBE Member
I recently moved into my in-laws house for a month. I had a pain in the ass trying to get wireless set up.. The connection would drop frequently, and sometimes disappear altogether.

I finally tried using Channel 11 instead of the default of 6, and it works perfectly now.

Tribe 14K gold cannabis seed slider pendant and chain

ibiza911

TRIBE Member
Possibly too much interference in channels! How many AP's do you have in there? Make sure they are not all on the same channel..