• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Winter Coat Thread

loee

TRIBE Member
Those soia and kyo coats are marvelous !!! Most beautiful coats I have seen in a while...
and I've never wanted anything so badly in a long time(even though I just opened this thread)... There's nothing like a beautiful fitted winter coat.. and it looks like I'm going to have to make a trip to toronto very soon =D

ila

TRIBE Member
are these soy and kioko coats warm or just fashion? they look form fitting - how is the fit? tight?

I'm looking at one on the website that I like, but I want a wintercoat with a lot of room for extra layers underneath and I want something not too tight across the back and armpits. I hate tight on the armpits.

j bunny 2000

TRIBE Member
S K Coats are pretty form fitting, but I if you go up a size you would probably be good if want extra room for sweaters. I have two and the first one I bought is double brested and kinda tight around the chest if I wear alot of layers. My new one seems pretty roomy and it's the same size, but single breasted. I think it depends on the cut, I have learned that double breasted coats are not my friend as I have a larger chest and they never look quite right.

ila

TRIBE Member
Ah okay. I was thinking about buying a single-breasted one, which is good. I might grab this a size up:

And I wish this came in red because I'd be all over it:

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

j bunny 2000

TRIBE Member
Ah okay. I was thinking about buying a single-breasted one, which is good. I might grab this a size up:

I tried the top one on at Sporting life and it's totally cute. It's fitted but really comfortable.

Bean

TRIBE Member

I'm not sure how tall you are, but I (I'm 5'3") was looking at similar wool one from this fall's season. it looked adorable, but when I tried it on, the pockets looked ridiculous on me and not in proportion (too large).

my parka fits a little snug around the shoulders and going up a size didn't help at all. my wool coat fits nicely (it has a lot more give in it than the parka).

ila

TRIBE Member
The one I tried was full price :-(

I have seen the same one at Girl Friday and Trixie in Bloor West. No idea if they are having sales yet.
Awesome possum. I'll check Girl Friday first because it's closer to me. I'm not really expecting to find a sale yet though...haha.

Bean, I'm 5'7" so I bet my the pockets would look a little less large on me ;)

That's too bad about the parka being tight though since it's what I'm after. I'll have to just go and try it on for myself to see what's up. Maybe I'll try on a few other styles while I'm at Girl Friday if the down parka doesn't fit :cool:

Nice line of coats for sure though.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

JLV

TRIBE Member
I love the Mackage Penelope coat:

or the new Community jacket (which I can't seem to find a picture online that does it justice):

peko

TRIBE Member
i love that penelope coat too. it was actually a toss up between that one and the soia and kyo coat that i ended up with. i'm happy with my purchase as it's a bit longer so therefore warmer than the penelope.
mm, the mackage you got for your birthday is beautiful. but, what did you do for a winter jacket while you were preggers?

i am looking for a coat which will get me through the winter - so far i am up 3 or 4 sizes and i'm sure i will continue to grow. the wool maternity coat i got is not thick enough, so now i'm looking at regular coats in big sizes.

ila: i'm sure you was the s & k, but esprit carried a red plaid toggle coat like the one you pictured below - and, i've seen a few roaming around queen west in a similar red plaid/ toggle coat style.

if i were not preggers, i'd be checking out both the coats you posted.

Metal Morphosis

TRIBE Member
mm, the mackage you got for your birthday is beautiful. but, what did you do for a winter jacket while you were preggers?
I had an old pea coat from when i was a bit heavier that i used when i was pregnant. I'd been meaning to sell it on eBay but then i realized that i should probably hang onto it for maternity purposes. Elliot was born in November so i really only needed a winter coat for the last month or so and truth be told, i didn't actually get that big with him so the coat was fine until the end.

ila

TRIBE Member
ila: i'm sure you was the s & k, but esprit carried a red plaid toggle coat like the one you pictured below - and, i've seen a few roaming around queen west in a similar red plaid/ toggle coat style.
ah, cool. thanks for the tips. I love that style - reminds me of paddington bear!

I tried on the Soysauce and Kato parka, and it was suuuuuuper cute, but when I went up a size to fit sweaters and what not underneath, the hips were way too big and it looked oversized. If it goes on sale, I'll just buy it in my actual size so that it's fitted.

Jennika

TRIBE Member
FYI, Mendochino has a bunch of S & K coats on sale... averaging 20-40% off.

and I found my dream little red pea coat with a hood at winners yesterday but they didn't have my size :( ah well, the hunt is still on

peko

TRIBE Member
By the way - you can borrow it if you want. ..I think it fits about a size 12. Let me know :)
that is an awesome coat - don't sell it on ebay!

:D you are so sweet! i actually got my paddington bear coat in black on new years eve. :eek: but, i will let you know if this coat doesn't pan out. i hope it works because it's boxy with a flare at the back, and it zips 2 ways (so i can zip it to the top and leave the bottom part open, if i keep getting bigger.

ali: check your PMs! ;)

sugar

TRIBE Member
So, my coat got stolen on NYE :( It was on its last legs (I've worn it for 5 years) and it's one of those ubiquitous TNA parkas, but I was still gonna wear it for the rest of the winter. It really is the warmest, best-fitting coat I've ever owned, despite that every second girl in Toronto has one.

So, my dilemma: I'm allergic to down, but won't stand for anything less than extremely warm. I spent several hours yesterday combing the Eaton Centre to no avail. I only found ONE warm coat that wasn't down-filled, but it was slightly too small, and light blue (I'd prefer a darker colour to avoid looking dirty). Any tips on brands that make realllly warm coats that aren't down-filled? I'm a really baby about being cold.

Ruby: Is your coat down-filled or synthetic? I really like the look of it.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Jennika

TRIBE Member
just got this Soia & Kyo from Mendochino, inspired by this thread.

it was $310 on sale for $195 (and I bargained another $10 off since a button was loose) so I'm fairly pleased with the deal. it's not quite warm enough for a day like today (unless you're only outside a short amount of time) but I'm eager for it to warm up a few degrees so I can wear it. it fits soooooooo well.

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
I bought mine at that sports store just outside/attached to the Eaton Centre. They had tons of styles when I got mine.
i was in there (coast mountain sports) on boxing day because my boyfriend was shopping for a winter parka, and the salesperson said flat out "no more parkas, they are all sold out and we are not getting any more."