• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Windows XP install question

jmaggs

TRIBE Member
I totally should know this, but figured I'd ask just in case:

I want to do a fresh install of XP Pro (no comments stating I should be installing 2000 please). The first time I installed it, I did a clean install and wiped the HD clean. Since then I've added a second HD. If I do a clean install on drive 1, will it affect anything on drive 2? I thought the FAT for Drive 2 resides on drive 2, so I should be able to access it regardless of what is on drive 1, right?

I only have data stored on Drive 2, no applications, since most applications installed on the drive wouldn't work after the registry is wiped from the fresh install (I think?).

So will my data on drive 2 be accessible if I wipe drive 1 clean and do a fresh install?

Maggs :D

jmaggs

TRIBE Member
Thanks. I thought so.

Now having that figured out, I just realized I have shit on the second partition of drive 1 that is too big to tranfer to HD 2. If I do a clean install on drive 1's primary partition, will it effect the second one, or is it the same as if it was a second physical drive?

Maggs :D

Xtatic

TRIBE Member
It shouldn't affect the secondary partition as long as you don't delete the partition.

It'll only format the first partition and do the fresh install there.