• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Windows Server RIS question...

koojmak

TRIBE Member
hi, just wondering if any of the 1337 on here have any experience with Win 2k server or 2k3 server and RIS....i keep runnin' into server errors when i try it....any stories, advice, etc, greatly appreciated...

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Dr. Grinch

TRIBE Member
RIS is a whore to setup initially, and keep in mind it will only Deploy 2K Pro and Win XP Pro.

Best bet seriously, download the M$ whitepaper on the topic and follow it word for word, letter for letter and it will work. It's unfortunately not one of those things you can muddle through and it will just end up working (like exchange! ;)

Adam

TRIBE Member
If you have any specific questions I can forward them to the guy who setup our RIS system here.

Which is doubly funny because my department is also called RIS.

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
What does RIS do exactly?

Just curious?

Because we use Windows 2000 Pro with Unattended installs with answer files off our Netware servers, then use Java Code and Z.E.N. Works for automatic application deployment.

pr0nstar

Adam

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by pr0nstar

Because we use Windows 2000 Pro with Unattended installs with answer files off our Netware servers, then use Java Code and Z.E.N. Works for automatic application deployment.
it does that

but its from microsoft, hence better.

somehow

Dr. Grinch

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by pr0nstar
What does RIS do exactly?

Just curious?

pr0nstar
It's the equivalent, but without dirtying your network with Novell. :O

You can use .msi installer packages with it to bundle your apps and deploy Service Packs. It works quite well once it's setup. It also supports PXE booting, which is handy.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
Don't you ever insult Novell.

NDS is what Microsoft's Active Directory is based on ;)

And what you mean? Slipstream your ServicePacks into your i386 source directories ... :p

pr0nstar :D

koojmak

TRIBE Member
ok.....so i got it to work, now i just have a maybe stupid question, dealing with user acct's and what not, the device doesn't want to boot locally, how do i change the user accounts so that it will have a local user that doesnt' need server auth to boot......