• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!
14K Cannabis seed slider pendants by tribe

Windows problem...

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Hope somebody can help me:

I’m running Windows XP and I think I’ve got a virus or something affecting Windows explorer. Often while browsing in the explorer I’ll go to delete or cut and paste a file and it hangs and I have to kill explorer.

I’m also having the same problem when accessing explorer through software (Solidworks if that matters) I’ll try to browse to a directory and often it will hang up and I need to kill the program.

When I restart the computer and log in, sometimes the icons are inactive. When I use the task manager to force a restart, a pop-up comes up saying “ending explorer.exe” (or something like that- the standard wait or “end now” pop up)

Anyone have any ideas what this might be or how to fix it?

I’ve tried yelling at it and pouring water on it and neither worked :(

Thanks for any help!

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
It's not my computer. It's the one at work. I don't feel like spending the whole day re-installing windows. Is that really the only option?

Sleepy Giant

TRIBE Member
1. If you think it's a virus, do a scan at housecall.trendmicro.com

2. I think there is something corrupt somewhere. That's one of the basic functions of Windows that isn't working.

Tribe 14K gold cannabis seed slider pendant and chain

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Thanks,

I did a Norton scan that turned up nothing. I'll try the housecall one.

Is there a Windows self-diagnosis tool to see if there's something wrong with windows itself?

Anakin

TRIBE Member
I_bRAD said:
Is there a Windows self-diagnosis tool to see if there's something wrong with windows itself?
Sadly no. However, if it is your work machine, get your IT group to fix it.

nonlocal

TRIBE Member
Actually there is a windows system file checker-- sfc.exe

Try start->run sfc /scannow

It checks system files for corruption and is occasionally useful. You'll need your XP cd. Google, as always, can tell you more.