• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Windows 8: Do I click the fish?

praktik

TRIBE Member
well can't you do without the metro interface anyway?

I'll be pushed along eventually, unless Microsoft decides to release the next DirectX down to Windows 7 when it comes out for 8, which I'm not expecting...

rawd

TRIBE Member
You will be able to grab the Pro version for a limited time for $40 if you are upgrading from a legit copy of XP/Vista/7. Will def jump on that one and stick it in a VM for future use.

Upgrade to Windows 8 Pro for $39.99

This upgrade promotion for Windows 8 Pro both online and at retail runs through January 31st, 2013.

We wanted to share information about this upgrade promotion with you as we continue to drive toward the RTM milestone for Windows 8. We will of course have more to say and more details to provide closer to general availability.

Oh, and by the way - if you’re not upgrading from a prior version of Windows and are building your own PC or installing Windows 8 in a virtual machine or a separate partition, you will be able to purchase and install the Windows 8 and Windows 8 Pro System Builder product.

lobo

TRIBE Member
There's an even cheaper option. You can get Win 8 Pro for $15 if you follow the steps at this url:

Windows 8 14.99 upgrade available today(must have purchased windows 7 pc) - Slickdeals.net

Basically, it's the program where if you purchased a new Windows 7 computer between June and Dec of this year, you get an upgrade to Windows 8 for that price. The funny part is that there's no real way for MS to verify the computer you've purchased. Lots of people are picking up a legit license or two this way. I purchased one today and just finished upgrading my Windows 7 Pro desktop (which I did not buy this year). Just make sure that you follow the steps on the computer that you actually want to upgrade. For $15 I'll play with Windows 8 if it means I don't have to bend over backwards with a cracked copy.

Lobo

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Blysspluss

TRIBE Member
Spent the 40 bones x2. Still seems worth it. Don't forget to pickup the free media center pack before the end of January!

Blysspluss

TRIBE Member
The netflix app makes use of GPU to play HD content! SO MUCH win. I'll be buying another upgrade for the living room, looks like.

rawd

TRIBE Member
Tried buying it on the weekend and the checkout failed twice. Now I got 189 mysterious dollars on some sort of charge hold on my CC from that... fucking Microsoft, you guys are a bunch of gimps, seriously

I'm gonna wait til the charge clears up, and go buy it from FutureShop at a retail store, like the fucking 1980's company you are.

Blysspluss

TRIBE Member
Tried buying it on the weekend and the checkout failed twice. Now I got 189 mysterious dollars on some sort of charge hold on my CC from that... fucking Microsoft, you guys are a bunch of gimps, seriously

I'm gonna wait til the charge clears up, and go buy it from FutureShop at a retail store, like the fucking 1980's company you are.
Yep. I had the fail happen twice on Saturday. Still no charges showing up, though. The fact that their 3rd party payment processor somehow got "overloaded" over the weekend is fricking ridiculous. Like, you didn't plan for lots of people spending the 15 bones?

rawd

TRIBE Member
I'm buying it for personal development anyway so no rush.. just incase I get a client with Windows 8 and I'm sitting there trying to click the fish..

My wifes work is already planning a complete system upgrade to Win8 within the next year.. some specific Windows 8 apps coming through that they are prepping for... So another helpdesk I need to manage there too :)

lobo

TRIBE Member
Wow, they're upgrading already? Damn. Over here they're *just* starting to roll out Windows 7 Enterprise. :)

Lobo

Blysspluss

TRIBE Member
Wow, they're upgrading already? Damn. Over here they're *just* starting to roll out Windows 7 Enterprise. :)

Lobo
*Just*? We won't have 7 rolled out until end of next year, and probably a few stragglers in Q1 of 2014.

Windows 8 will be skipped like vista in this place. There's no added value that I've been able to find so far over Win7 for what we do. Plus we have some pretty crusty 3rd party devs that aren't happy about moving away from XP, period.

rawd

TRIBE Member
Management over there loves to burn money. Some upper brass really liked Samsung Smart TV's so they bought a ton of them and replaced all the boardroom TV's. They turn over their PC's every 2-3 years too, including laptops.

Blysspluss

TRIBE Member
Management over there loves to burn money. Some upper brass really liked Samsung Smart TV's so they bought a ton of them and replaced all the boardroom TV's. They turn over their PC's every 2-3 years too, including laptops.
Ah. We pinch pennies. 4 Year lifecycle.

..but it's all warrantied for the life time, for the most part so there's no reason not to have it. Plus, my colleague and I who share an office are the heaviest-duty users, so it's not like there's a business case for better machines more often than that.

rawd

TRIBE Member
I have to admit I'm enjoying Win8. I'm not missing the Start menu at all, and having the tile interface works well. You can pin almost anything to it and strip it down to the bare tiles/icons you want.. which makes for a really customizable minimal interface.

I originally installed it in a 2 gig ram 2 core VM... As I'm only using it for casual use (web, VPN, etc)... I stripped it back to 1 gig 1 core and its still pretty snappy. I guess not having all that Aero bullshit helps it not be such a pig.