• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Windows 10

Blysspluss

TRIBE Member
I sort of "had" to. Found things we needed to ramp up at work to be able to support it in the near future. Our CIO also jumped the gun and got it installed for himself.

Plus, it's fun having new toys to play with that cost me 0 dollars.

Aaron Bradley

TRIBE Promoter
Just installed it too. Feels very Windows 8-ish. I'm not having any problems right now. It did complain about Android Studio the first time running it.

praktik

TRIBE Member
OK was going to hold off but got the notice on both comps

Picked my own comp for a first run - activation process has been seemless
Im digging the interface

really like it!

Awesome to not have to worry about CD key anymore! "Digital Entitlement" is created and can see I am activated - can skip product key step on a fresh Windows 10 install, once I boot into windows should just automatically activate in a few days - my hardware will match the entitlement.

maybe frequent HW component upgraders will have some headaches to worry about!

lobo

TRIBE Member
OK was going to hold off but got the notice on both comps

Picked my own comp for a first run - activation process has been seemless
Im digging the interface

really like it!

Awesome to not have to worry about CD key anymore! "Digital Entitlement" is created and can see I am activated - can skip product key step on a fresh Windows 10 install, once I boot into windows should just automatically activate in a few days - my hardware will match the entitlement.

maybe frequent HW component upgraders will have some headaches to worry about!
Yup. This is a great way of validating your copy of the operating system and not having to worry about the CD key. It's long overdue and I love that I'll be able to nuke my existing desktop one day and just reinstall a fresh copy of Win10 and not have to worry about activation.

The only thing that sucks about Win10 has been the loss of Media Centre. A lot of us with HTPCs still actively use it for OTA TV and DVR functionality. This means that unfortunately I'll never be able to upgrade my HTPC.

Lobo

praktik

TRIBE Member
Ah I got my htpc on madvr, expecting no issues it's just used more often so not in rush to upset our equilibrium

And my awesome win8 theme ain't win 10 version yet

Blysspluss

TRIBE Member
Win10 AMD drivers are hooped for e-350/6630, which is what my htpc is built on. Had to use a hacked .inf to get DXVA working and stable.

Overall there does seem to be a fair share of driver issues out there regardless of brand.

This has been the only one I've had.

loopdokter

TRIBE Promoter
Win10 AMD drivers are hooped for e-350/6630, which is what my htpc is built on. Had to use a hacked .inf to get DXVA working and stable.

Overall there does seem to be a fair share of driver issues out there regardless of brand.

This has been the only one I've had.
Which is why you shouldn't switch to a new OS. You have to wait for driver development to catch up. It's rarely ready to go when the OS is released.

Steinberg has recommended against upgrading. I've held off. I'm always a late adaptor though because my machine is an audio machine and I can't risk shit not working.

Blysspluss

TRIBE Member
Which is why you shouldn't switch to a new OS. You have to wait for driver development to catch up. It's rarely ready to go when the OS is released.

Steinberg has recommended against upgrading. I've held off. I'm always a late adaptor though because my machine is an audio machine and I can't risk shit not working.
I switched day 1 because I'm not super-bothered(was annoying at worst), and based on AMD's lack of response and their continual lack of support with each iteration, my setup may not be supported, period.

The unsigned "hacked" driver works fine. Just had to manually add it to the inf in the right spots, and switch up the driver being used after windows update forced the new one on me.

And the key is, this is for home. If this was a problem at work, I would have reverted. I don't take my home stuff too seriously because if I can't get it working, I can always flip back to the old OS without much hassle(though it does eat a bit more time than a bit of research and duct tape.)

We're also not recommending Win10 for any Staff. There's still stuff that is missing for enterprise level support. (That said I'm using it, and have yet to have any issues).

Aaron Bradley

TRIBE Promoter
Seems like there is a problem opening .pdf files with the native reader. After failing to open one, I thought it was just my file. After failing to open the second one, I knew there was another problem. Grabbed the latest Reader from Adobe and all is fine.

I don't care for Edge right now, but I haven't really tried it after the first day. I probably used it for 10 minutes or so. I use F12 a lot and we'll say IE didn't do too well there... at least not on the network and console tabs. It would only take about 2 hours to really test out Edge which isn't long, but I just wont. It's sad to see what little faith I have in Microsoft browsing. Not to excited about being forced to do all or no updates either.

I like 10, but it's still early. We'll see...

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
my parents live up near Mt St Louis, and have limited bandwidth. they realized that 10 was put onto their computer without their consent.
this is not cool, considering people who really only use teh interwebz for email, small surfing, etc, will get a huge spike in their bandwidth, and not really know where the fuck it came from, until of course, my mom calls me, i grab a double rum and coke, and explain it to her.
she is not pleased, but at least i have a good 10 am rumglow on.

Aaron Bradley

TRIBE Promoter
my parents live up near mt st louis, and have limited bandwidth. They realized that 10 was put onto their computer without their consent.
This is not cool, considering people who really only use teh interwebz for email, small surfing, etc, will get a huge spike in their bandwidth, and not really know where the fuck it came from, until of course, my mom calls me, i grab a double rum and coke, and explain it to her.
She is not pleased, but at least i have a good 10 am rumglow on.
lololol!