• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Will Martin sell us out to the US?

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
PRIME MINISTER SETS OUT HIS AGENDA FOR THE SPECIAL SUMMIT OF THE AMERICAS

January 11, 2004
Immediate

Prime Minister Paul Martin today announced plans to discuss Canada's role in the Americas and ways to improve Canada-U.S. relations as he participates in the Summit of the Americas in Monterrey, Mexico this week.

The Summit brings together heads of state and government leaders representing the Americas January 12 & 13 to tackle issues related to economic growth with equity, social development and democratic governance.

AUDIO PORTION START - "This will be my first international forum as Prime Minister, and I'm looking forward to engaging my colleagues throughout the Americas in tackling the economic, the social and the political challenges facing many countries in the Western Hemisphere, " the Prime Minister said.

"I believe that Canada has a leading role to play in these areas, and I intend to bring that message to this Summit.

"When I meet with U.S. President George Bush, we'll have an important discussion of our mutual priorities and our shared goals.

"It is fundamental that we start the process of building the positive relationships we need to tackle some very tough issues, such as re-opening the border to Canadian beef, restoring normal trade in softwood lumber, and respecting the Canadian passport.

"We'll also discuss strengthening security at our shared border, while continuing to exploit opportunities to enhance the smooth flow of Canada-U.S. trade. A healthy relationship is critically important to both nations." he said. AUDIO PORTION FINISHED

http://www.news.gc.ca/cfmx/CCP/view/en/index.cfm?articleid=75119&

Thoughts?

DaPhatConductor

TRIBE Promoter
I just hope he doesn't do up the US ballistic missle defense expansion contract he's heavily considering right now.

That BS missle in space business only makes everyone else increase their nuclear arsonals anyway. agh!

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
There is no chance that Martin doesn't realize that he has a better position. Martin needs less from Bush over he next 2 - 5 year than Bush needs. Martin isn't new to the game and he knows money better than any of bush or his admin.

I can't see what woul mak Martin cave. Bush simly doesn't have a dime compared to Martins billions. Martin is no idiot, he knows that Bush needs him and needs a very quite Canada rolling into his elections. If anything Bush is the begger in this case.

We have a unique view on Canada / US relations. Yes they are negative but to anyone elses view its the Americans who need to mend relations. They need to mend relations with just about every nation on the face of the planet. The question isn't what Martin is going to give, its what Bush has to offer.

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
I just can't see a man as rich and powerful as Martin being easily taken for a ride. I have many things I don't like about him, but I don't see him being that quick to lick american boot.

I don't see what Bush could offer that is valuable enough. Especially with a falling popularity. If anything it prudent to take the slow route.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

man_slut

TRIBE Member
I see Martin doing a lot of things that will benefit the corporate elite or big business. I don't see him supporting any illegal wars though. He knows that not siding with the US on war matters will only make him more popular in Canada..

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3388099.stm

Bush's Americas challenge

By Stephen Gibbs
BBC correspondent in Monterrey, Mexico

On Monday morning, US President George W Bush steps aboard Airforce One for the short hop across the border from his Texas ranch to the northern Mexican city of Monterrey.

He is coming here to attend the Special Summit of the Americas. A couple of days in this sprawling, industrial city, in the company of 33 heads of state from across the continent.

The idea is to try to build a consensus, to find a way to solve the deepening poverty and rising inequality that afflicts half of the entire Latin American population.

But consensus may be hard to find.

Latin America is not the amenable place it once was for President Bush.

The region has changed since he declared it his main foreign policy priority in the year 2000, shortly before the 11 September attacks took his attention elsewhere.

Key regional powers including Brazil, Argentina, Ecuador and Venezuela have left-wing governments.

Other countries that the president might have thought he could depend upon, such as Mexico and Chile, opposed the US-led invasion of Iraq.

Odd man out

In what may be a taste of things to come, one disagreement has emerged in the hours before the summit begins

President Bush remains convinced that free trade is what this part of the world needs, and wants the summit to focus on that issue, together with corruption and the war on terror.

But a group, led by Brazil and Venezuela, are insisting that the heads of state talk about inequality ands social issue - not free markets.

Another likely source of disagreement centres on the only Americas leader who will not be coming to Monterrey: Cuba's Fidel Castro.

The long-time ideological foe of the US is not invited to these summits as Cuba has been suspended from the Organization of American States since 1962.

American officials chose last week to express alarm at what they perceive to be the cosy relationship Venezuela's Hugo Chavez and Argentina's Nestor Kirchner enjoy with Mr Castro.

Not all gloom

Both Presidents Chavez and Kirchner reacted with fury at what they saw as a crude attempt to interfere with their foreign policy decisions. They say they will be raising the issue at the summit.

Mr Kirchner went as far as to say that he predicted he would win "by a knockout" following his meeting with Mr Bush.

But the summit will not all be about differences.

President Bush does have something to offer his otherwise sceptical neighbours.

He has just announced sweeping plans to overhaul US immigration laws - in a move that will allow thousands of mostly Mexican illegal immigrants to gain legal status as workers in the United States.

It is a development that has been welcomed by the summit's host, Mexican President Vicente Fox.

He has been lobbying for such a change in US law for three years.

If the US Congress converts the proposal into law, that will be seen as a major political victory for Mr Fox.

-----------------------------

Again with Bush having to buy back so many peoples opinions I believe that Martin would have to be one hell of an idiot to play into Bushes hand. If anything Bush is the one who is under preasure, he has a sour political climate compared to Martin who is still riding high. He has finacial problems while Martin enjoys the only surplus in the G8. He is stuck in Afghanistan and Iraq while Canada begins to approach the end of its mandates.

Bush needs Canadian forces in Afghanistan, he needs Canadian ships in the Persian Golf. Just about everything is on a need list for Bush and there is very little on Martins need list that hasn't been on the need list for the last 5 years. Martin is going in with a mutal Mad Cow problem and for the rest everything else on his agenda has been on his agenda for the last 5 years. Bush is facing an uphill battle and Martin is going to take advantage of it.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
Someone told me recently (a reliable guy) that the US will soon have access to all our governmental records, health records, etc thanks to Martin. Is this shit true?!?!

:mad:

~atp~

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Boss Hog
Someone told me recently (a reliable guy) that the US will soon have access to all our governmental records, health records, etc thanks to Martin. Is this shit true?!?!

:mad:
That wouldn't entirely surprise me...but it won't be sold the way you presented it.

I worked closely with some of the hospitals in developing technologies that would prepare them for the new PIPEDA (Bill C-6) electronic privacy legislation that kicked in on January 1st.

But, as part of the program, there is a growing demand for integrating health records databases across borders.

It's inevitable that this sort of integration is going to happen...the question is, what kind of rights do citizens have in protecting that information? How safe is that information from malicious use?

PIPEDA, thankfully, is a "bill for the people" in many ways because it provides a legal mechanism for protection against the use of personal electronic data...

;)