1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Will I am steals another one?

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by todiefor, Mar 15, 2010.

1. todiefor

todiefor TRIBE Promoter

2. JamesM

JamesM TRIBE Member

I liked how they dealt with the adam freeland one.

we'll use it, hope they don't notice like everyone is retarded. when they do, a million dollars your way.

doesn't matter. they made more then enough from it.

what, we actually meant to get that shit done. bad lawyers!

ah it's all good. whatever. everyone wins in the end.

3. JamesM

JamesM TRIBE Member

or maybe their lawyers actually fucked it up. this is a debatable subject. mostly because I'm not them.

4. JamesM

JamesM TRIBE Member

5. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

what was the adam freeland rip-off? and why don't i know this??

6. JamesM

JamesM TRIBE Member

7. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

interesting. extraordinary. supernatural.....

8. [- FuNKtiOn -]

[- FuNKtiOn -] TRIBE Member

9. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

ahh that explains it. i like adam, but stopped listening to him after he released the mexico sessions mix or whatever it was called.

10. diablo

diablo TRIBE Member

11. rubytuesday

rubytuesday TRIBE Member

I've always thought Fergie's London Bridge was too similar to J-Kwon's Tipsy.

Pretty much anything by BEP since Fergie joined seems like it's ripped off of somewhere.

12. solacevip

solacevip TRIBE Promoter

Jackin' people's beats in this day and age.

Won't somebody think of the children?

13. dj_soo

dj_soo TRIBE Member

meh - everyone's favourite golden era hip hop producers sampled beats without permission.

many more rave-era producers used and still use) tons and tons of unlicensed samples without permission.

Did Adam Freeland properly license that Smells Like Teen Spirit bootleg that more or less put him on the map?

If your tune gets big, you pay em out - otherwise it flies under the rader.

14. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

if the point of the music is to put it on t.v./radio and say "look! i wrote this! its 100% original! worship me!" and already have distribution deals ready to go worth millions, its kind of sleazy.

sampling something that's in the realm of understood "sampled" music, with the intention of keeping 'underground', that's different.

15. dj_soo

dj_soo TRIBE Member

since when has "hip hop" (I use the term loosely in this case) ever not used samples?

16. Spinsah

Spinsah TRIBE Member

Freeland was on the map long before that bootleg dropped.

17. dj_soo

dj_soo TRIBE Member

depends on who's map

18. videotronic

videotronic TRIBE Member

that smells like teen spirit bootleg was when adam freeland completely, totally and utterly jumped the shark.

19. Spinsah

Spinsah TRIBE Member

I'm sure most casual electronic fans were familiar with the Costal Breaks series, to say nothing of the broader popularity of his Marine Parade label.

Edit: And let's not forget how stupid huge Hip Hop Phenomenon was.

20. rubytuesday

rubytuesday TRIBE Member

Exactly. And BEP are so obnoxious, they make whatever will sell, any artistic merit they had is long gone.

21. AgentSanchez

AgentSanchez TRIBE Promoter

I'm thinkin' it's just you... Will I Am isn't exactly Captain Original, but I really can't see these two songs as very similar.

22. TRO

TRO TRIBE Member

guetta produced it...

a good chunk off popular music and AAAAAAALLLLOOOOOT of dance music is sampled based...in case you havent been on the planet for the last 30 years

23. unique2100

unique2100 TRIBE Promoter

There is sampling and there is beat jacking. BEP are beat jackers. They are also really really fucking horrible.

24. tripleup

tripleup TRIBE Member

I'm beat jacking right now.

25. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

Of course but that is totally not the point. Nobody is saying it's wrong he used the samples, it's the fact that they weren't cleared ahead of the release.