• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Will I am steals another one?

todiefor

TRIBE Promoter

JamesM

TRIBE Member
I liked how they dealt with the adam freeland one.

we'll use it, hope they don't notice like everyone is retarded. when they do, a million dollars your way.

doesn't matter. they made more then enough from it.

what, we actually meant to get that shit done. bad lawyers!

ah it's all good. whatever. everyone wins in the end.

JamesM

TRIBE Member
or maybe their lawyers actually fucked it up. this is a debatable subject. mostly because I'm not them.

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
I liked how they dealt with the adam freeland one.

we'll use it, hope they don't notice like everyone is retarded. when they do, a million dollars your way.

doesn't matter. they made more then enough from it.

what, we actually meant to get that shit done. bad lawyers!

ah it's all good. whatever. everyone wins in the end.
what was the adam freeland rip-off? and why don't i know this??

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
ahh that explains it. i like adam, but stopped listening to him after he released the mexico sessions mix or whatever it was called.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

rubytuesday

TRIBE Member
I've always thought Fergie's London Bridge was too similar to J-Kwon's Tipsy.

Pretty much anything by BEP since Fergie joined seems like it's ripped off of somewhere.

dj_soo

TRIBE Member
meh - everyone's favourite golden era hip hop producers sampled beats without permission.

many more rave-era producers used and still use) tons and tons of unlicensed samples without permission.

Did Adam Freeland properly license that Smells Like Teen Spirit bootleg that more or less put him on the map?

If your tune gets big, you pay em out - otherwise it flies under the rader.

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
if the point of the music is to put it on t.v./radio and say "look! i wrote this! its 100% original! worship me!" and already have distribution deals ready to go worth millions, its kind of sleazy.

sampling something that's in the realm of understood "sampled" music, with the intention of keeping 'underground', that's different.

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
I'm sure most casual electronic fans were familiar with the Costal Breaks series, to say nothing of the broader popularity of his Marine Parade label.

Edit: And let's not forget how stupid huge Hip Hop Phenomenon was.

rubytuesday

TRIBE Member
if the point of the music is to put it on t.v./radio and say "look! i wrote this! its 100% original! worship me!" and already have distribution deals ready to go worth millions, its kind of sleazy.

sampling something that's in the realm of understood "sampled" music, with the intention of keeping 'underground', that's different.
Exactly. And BEP are so obnoxious, they make whatever will sell, any artistic merit they had is long gone.

TRO

TRIBE Member
I've seen a few articles over the past year accusing Will I am of some pretty blatant ripoffs. Well maybe it's just me but "I gotta feeling" and Snow Patrol's Open your eyes sure sound a lot alike too

I guess they aren't exactly alike and I don't know my copyright laws down to the letter, but if were them and I hadn't been paid for anything by BEP I'd be looking into it.

YouTube - Snow Patrol - Open your eyes

YouTube - Black Eyed Peas - I Got A Feeling OFFICIAL VIDEO (WITH LYRICS)

guetta produced it...

a good chunk off popular music and AAAAAAALLLLOOOOOT of dance music is sampled based...in case you havent been on the planet for the last 30 years

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
guetta produced it...

a good chunk off popular music and AAAAAAALLLLOOOOOT of dance music is sampled based...in case you havent been on the planet for the last 30 years

Of course but that is totally not the point. Nobody is saying it's wrong he used the samples, it's the fact that they weren't cleared ahead of the release.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories