1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Why You Should Never Pay More Than $10 For HDMI Cables

Discussion in 'Technology' started by glych t.anomaly, Apr 1, 2010.

1. glych t.anomaly

glych t.anomaly TRIBE Member

[​IMG]

Link

You've probably guessed that gold-plated cables for your home theater are entirely unnecessary. Still, there must be some small quality difference for all that price, right? Mint.com's blog lays out the answer: No, not at all.

Teaming up with WallStats, Mint lays out the case against the gold-plated, gas-pressurized, terribly overpriced cables you'll find lining the shelves at electronics retailers. Monster is a main culprit of preying on those who haven't learned what Mint's very clever infographic illustrates: there is no difference that you can see with your eyes between a $6 HDMI cable and a $250 HDMI cable. Here's their full take:

[​IMG]

The crying shame that is a $250 cable has been covered in-depth by our HDTV-obsessed cousins at Gizmodo, and the cable accessory money trail followed by Consumerist. If you've got a safe online or retail spot to order cheap cables, lead us to it in the comments.

DONT BELIEVE DA HYPE !

BUY CHEEP !!!

[jai]

2. Bass-Invader

Bass-Invader TRIBE Member

The worst is that most stores just don't carry cheap HDMI cables. It can be a royal pain to find cheap ones unless you happen to pass by non-brand name electronics stores often. I suppose you could internet it, but then you need to wait.

3. rave jedi

rave jedi TRIBE Member

4. glych t.anomaly

5. glych t.anomaly

6. rave jedi

rave jedi TRIBE Member

true dat

7. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

I have found lots of sources of regular HDMI cables for cheap but what about mini HDMI to HDMI? They always seem to be $20 more?

8. lobo

lobo TRIBE Member

If you're jonesing for an HDMI cable when picking up a TV at Best Buy or Future Shop, just pay the $250 for one. Take it home, use it while that same day you order a properly priced one from monoprice. When the monoprice one comes in, return the Monster branded one back and get a full refund.

Lobo

9. Spinsah

Spinsah TRIBE Member

Or just hit one of those shops in College.

10. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

Yeah tried the college thing and every place was either all out, or they only had brands that were $20 more.

11. SJN

SJN TRIBE Member

Very easy to find on eBay too. My entire entertainment system is kitted with HDMI cables that cost about $3

12. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

my uncle ( no, not that one jeesh ) bragged about his uber home theatre set up, complete with several hundred dollar cables ( for each component ).
    can't wait to show him this.

13. JamesM

JamesM TRIBE Member

future shop = $60 college street = $10

unless your shopping at some douchebag's college outlet.

14. Phat Trick

Phat Trick TRIBE Promoter

I'm not sure I agree with this article.
    I bought 2 hdmi cables from one of the shops on college. I needed some longer cables to replace the Monster hdmi cables that I got with my home theater at Best Buy. The cheapo hdmi cables work fine when connecting the rogers hd pvr to my receiver, but neither if them will work when I connect my ps3 to the receiver.
    I have a pioneer elite, 7.1 setup.
    I'm not sure if it's due to hdmi 1.3a (which are what the monster cables are rated at) vs just plain old hdmi, but the cheapo cable just don't work.

15. JamesM

JamesM TRIBE Member

well that is interesting then.

I use a cheapo hdmi cable to connect my coolsat OTA hd to my lg monitor. no problems. looks great.

But hell. if you get that kind of weird behavior maybe there's something to this.

16. octo

octo TRIBE Member

while it's true that the transmission of the signal itself is is not going to be improved by higher priced cables, some cheap cables have poorly fitting connectors.

17. videotronic

videotronic TRIBE Member

the point of the article is that there is no varying degree of "good" with HDMI cables (or any digital cable for that matter). it either works or it doesnt...

18. JamesM

JamesM TRIBE Member

what octo said, must apply in this situation: as applied to phat trick.

unless your shit is totally whack! try another cable !!!

19. octo

octo TRIBE Member

well, by poorly fitting i meant that they might be loose and easily fall out, they might be too tight and damage your equipment. expensive cables are sometimes so heavy that their weight can also cause damage to the equipment.

also, people tend to think that digital is perfect. far from it. there are all sorts of errors that occur that require error correction.

20. glych t.anomaly

Specifications

The HDMI specification defines the protocols, signals, electrical interfaces, and mechanical requirements of the standard.[38] The maximum pixel clock rate for HDMI 1.0 was 165 MHz, which was sufficient for supporting 1080p and WUXGA (1920×1200) at 60 Hz. HDMI 1.3 increased that to 340 MHz, which allows for higher resolution (such as WQXGA, 2560×1600) across a single digital link.[39] An HDMI connection can either be single-link (Type A/C) or dual-link (Type B) and can have a video pixel rate of 25 MHz to 340 MHz (for a single-link connection) or 25 MHz to 680 MHz (for a dual-link connection). Video formats with rates below 25 MHz (e.g., 13.5 MHz for 480i/NTSC) are transmitted using a pixel-repetition scheme.[1]
    HDMI 1.0 to HDMI 1.2a uses the CEA-861-B video standard, and HDMI 1.3+ uses the CEA-861-D video standard.[40] The CEA-861-D document defines the video timing requirements, discovery structures, and data transfer structure.[41] The color spaces that can be used by HDMI are ITU-R BT.601, ITU-R BT.709-5, and IEC 61966-2-4.[42] HDMI can encode the video in xvYCC 4:4:4 (8–16 bits per component), sRGB 4:4:4 (8–16 bits per component), YCbCr 4:4:4 (8–16 bits per component), or YCbCr 4:2:2 (8–12 bits per component).[42][43]
    Audio
    HDMI supports up to 8 channels of uncompressed audio at sample sizes of 16-bit, 20-bit, and 24-bit, with sample rates of 32 kHz, 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz, 88.2 kHz, 96 kHz, 176.4 kHz, and 192 kHz.[19][44] HDMI also supports any IEC61937-compliant compressed audio stream, such as Dolby Digital and DTS, and up to 8 channels of one-bit DSD audio (used on Super Audio CDs) at rates up to four times that of Super Audio CD.[44] With version 1.3, HDMI supports lossless compressed audio streams Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio.[44]
    [edit]Connectors

HDMI Type A receptacle connector

HDMI Type A plug connector

There are four HDMI connector types. Type A and Type B are defined in the HDMI 1.0 specification, Type C is defined in the HDMI 1.3 specification, and Type D is defined in the HDMI 1.4 specification.

Type A

Nineteen pins, with bandwidth to support all SDTV, EDTV, and HDTV modes.[2] The plug (male) connector outside dimensions are 13.9 mm × 4.45 mm and the receptacle (female) connector inside dimensions are 14 mm × 4.55 mm.[45] Type A is electrically compatible with single-link DVI-D.[46]

Type B

This connector (21.2 mm × 4.45 mm) has 29 pins and can carry double the video bandwidth of Type A, for use with very high-resolution future displays such as WQUXGA (3840×2400).[46][47] Type B is electrically compatible with dual-link DVI-D, but has not yet been used in any products.[46][48]

Type C

A Mini connector defined in the HDMI 1.3 specification, it is intended for portable devices.[1][49][50] It is smaller than the Type A plug connector (10.42 mm × 2.42 mm) but has the same 19-pin configuration.[49][51] The differences are that all positive signals of the differential pairs are swapped with their corresponding shield, the DDC/CEC Ground is assigned to pin 13 instead of pin 17, the CEC is assigned to pin 14 instead of pin 13, and the reserved pin is 17 instead of pin 14.[52] The Type C Mini connector can be connected to a Type A connector using a Type A-to-Type C cable.[49][50]

Type D

A Micro connector defined in the HDMI 1.4 specification,[50][53] it keeps the standard 19 pins of Types A and C but shrinks the connector size to something resembling a micro-USB connector.[54] The Type D connector is 2.8 mm × 6.4 mm, whereas the Type C connector is 2.42 mm × 10.42 mm;[55] for comparison, a micro-USB connector is 2.94 mm × 7.8 mm.
    [edit]

Cables

Although no maximum length for an HDMI cable is specified, signal attenuation—dependent on the cable's construction quality and conducting materials—limits usable lengths in practice.[56] HDMI 1.3 defines two cable categories: Category 1-certified cables, which have been tested at 74.5 MHz (which would include resolutions such as 720p60 and 1080i60), and Category 2-certified cables, which have been tested at 340 MHz (which would include resolutions such as 1080p60 and 2160p30).[53][57][58] Category 1 HDMI cables are to be marketed as "Standard" and Category 2 HDMI cables as "High Speed".[1] This labeling guideline for HDMI cables went into effect on October 17, 2008.[59][60] Category 1 and 2 cables can either meet the required parameter specifications for interpair skew, far-end crosstalk, attenuation, and differential impedance, or they can meet the required nonequalized/equalized eye diagram requirements.[57] A cable of about 5 meters (16 ft.) can be manufactured to Category 1 specifications easily and inexpensively by using 28 AWG (0.081 mm²) conductors.[56] With better quality construction and materials, including 24 AWG (0.205 mm²) conductors, an HDMI cable can reach lengths of up to 15 meters (49 ft.).[56] Many HDMI cables under 5 meters of length that were made before the HDMI 1.3 specification can work as Category 2 cables, but only Category 2-tested cables are guaranteed to work.[61]

WIKI. im sure there is an answer in there somwhere :) methinks is prolly has something to do with the difference between 1.0 - 1.2a VS 1.3a.

which means you need to find cheaply priced 1.3a Cables to replace the Monster ones, and not the lower standard.

[jai]

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  21. veteze

veteze TRIBE Promoter

22. glych t.anomaly

;)

[jai]

23. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

I have a monster cable and a no name HDMI cable form a local OTA store, I paid more for the no name cable 11.99.

24. g0nz0

g0nz0 TRIBE Member

grabbed me 4 purple 6ft ones from monoprice at xmas for $11, $17 shipped! thats $4.25 each. AND THEY ARE PURPLE, POW!

25. RumRogerz

RumRogerz TRIBE Member

bought my hdmi to dvi cable for 8 bucks!