• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

why would a man be retaining water?

Lysistrata

Well-Known TRIBEr
my mom is messengering me because my dad's in the hospital. i'm a bit pissed that she didn't phone about it, but that's us for you, we emmerton's don't like calling. she says they don't know what's wrong, just that he's retaining huge amounts of water. they drained 6 liters from him on wednesday and this morning he was swollen again, so they're keeping him in the hospital to try and figure out what's causing this and to keep him drained. it sounds gross. mom said he looked like he was pregnant. i'm scared.

has anyone ever heard of this? what could it be?

Lysistrata

Well-Known TRIBEr
Sleepy Giant said:
Where did they drain it from?
his gut mom says. she's not being very forthcoming, they never are about their own health which drives me up the wall.

i'm reading aout edema... it says it's usually ankles, legs nad feet. but yeah, it could be a number of things. and they'll likely never tell me what. and if it jus goes away they won't bother to try and find out why int he first place.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

lucky1

TRIBE Member
I've only heard of this from having ovarian cancer which i'm nearly 100% sure your dad does't have.

I hope he gets better soon. communication is important. if they don't tell you the answers you want then make sure you speak up until you get them.

Lysistrata

Well-Known TRIBEr
oh god, i looked up ascites, millicent, that sounds right. it's the gut... usually connected with liver problems, with the amount my family and my dad drinks, liver problems seem likely.

this is just too much. if my dad gets sick this year on top of everything else i just don't know how i'll deal.

solacevip

TRIBE Promoter
By no means to scare you.....but my uncle had a similar problem. His entire body was swollen and retaining water. His prostate had become very inflamed and as a result, it made it difficult for him to urinate. My uncle was older and hardheaded and refused to goto the doctor. The problem was discovered too late.

My mom had this too when she was sick. It's a bitch. They actually give you meds for it but they restrict your water intake too.
If you are concerned and you don't think your mom is telling you everything (which my dad did) call the hospital yourself. They will usually give you some idea about his condition.

mutslaster

TRIBE Member
probably best not to go too overboard and freak yourself out with the internet research too... maybe see if you can speak to your dad's doctor directly.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

DeepSix

TRIBE Promoter
His doctor won't talk to you unless you have your father's consent. So, either get consent from your father in writing, or just go with your dad to an appointment. Until you know the diagnosis, all this internet searching is just going to make you worried about something that might not be as bad as you think. I'm not saying don't worry about it - just be sure that you're worrying about the correct illness. No use giving yourself an ulcer over something that you have very little control over. Hope all gets better.

Aerius Zension

TRIBE Member
mutslaster said:
probably best not to go too overboard and freak yourself out with the internet research too... maybe see if you can speak to your dad's doctor directly.

I agree, this could make it worse for you.

It could be as simple as a UTI?

UR

TRIBE Member
I feel for you and your family. My pops went through a similar ordeal. He loved to drink - it was the English in him that never left when he moved to Canada. He also loved to hunt, ya I know drinking and hunting.

He eventually became overweight and though it just came with age. About 4 years ago he fell a fair distance breaking some ribs. While in the hospital he was told he was retaining water, his liver was shot and he was battling HepC.

Long story short - he has still not recovered 100% today. Doctor's are not clear as to why he still retaining water, not as much. He has to go through pills and shitty recouperation for years and still takes a daily dose of pills daily and visits the hospital as a routine.

When and if you do speak to a doctor - please ask a lot of questions. My dad has never been the same since. I would love to find out more.

UR

Although I do not know you - I wish you and your family all the best.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Karim

TRIBE Member
My dad was retaining water in his left arm and lungs and that was due to congestive heart failure. He's fully recovered now after going to the doctors so if that's the case, it very well can have a happy ending. Thoughts are with your dad.

Lysistrata

Well-Known TRIBEr
thanks for all your well wishes. sympathy and commiseration are the benefits of bringing personal trauma to tribe, and god knows what my addled brain would do without them.

thing is, i don't even know who's treating dad: my folks haven't had a GP in years, since the family doctor we had growing up retired. it's hard to lure doctors to small isolated northern towns, so they never have enough doctors and never replaced my fams GP. and my parents are like the antithesis of health-consciousness, they don't go to the doctor unless their something undeniably wrong that doesn't go away. wheni was a kid i ran a fever over 100 for three straight days until they decided it might be more than just a wait-it-out flu and i should go to the doc. they smoke a pack plus a day, drink like irish white trash, never exercise and eat badly. they're both terribly overweight and my mom gets winded going up a flight of stairs.

and it's my mom i'm really worried about. her sister has 6 months-to-live cnacer and my grandma has succumbed to senility: she refuses to go into a facility and is terrorizing the VON home care nurses, trying to fire them herself because she thinks they're stealing her instant coffee. i'm not shitting.

grandma hasn't been doing too well for a long time, since her third stroke. i can't help but think that watching her daughter die will be the end of her. them mom's own family is gone and she just has us: which is my brother and i, both living down here, and dad. if dad is sick, she won't... i mean, she cut me out of the same cloth as her, we're neither the most emotionally resilient of people.

and as some of you know, thom's side has had a tragedy with his sister being run over. i thought my aunt was that other shoe dropping, but this monster of familial affliction walks on at least three legs.

Baters

TRIBE Member
Deus said:
Maybe because you post it all over the internet?
i dont personally know you or the other people in this thread but to say something like this when someone is obviously going through a lot of personal pain makes you just about the trolliest piece of trash around