• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Why is it so hard to get dishwashing liquid that doesn't smell like a cheap whore?

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I have been looking everywhere for unscented dish washing liquid without much luck. I know health food stores probably have it in tiny little bottles for 3 or 4 times the price of what it ought to be, but I suspect a lot of other people want to buy unscented dish washing liquid soap as well, in bottles about the same size as the scented stuff, at a similar price.

I don't want my plates smelling like a cheap whore days after I have washed them! Look; I wouldn't even mind if they left the psychotically bright color dyes in it, as long as they took out the smell. What gives dish soap making people?

stanimal

TRIBE Member
We use Nature Clean unscented dishwashing liquid which come in regular bottle sizes (and even bulk size for refills). Loblaws sell them.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

peko

TRIBE Member
We use Nature Clean unscented dishwashing liquid which come in regular bottle sizes (and even bulk size for refills). Loblaws sell them.

Nature Clean used at our house too. Loblaws has good sales sometimes. It's regular price is $3.99 at Loblaws.

Qi Natural Foods sells the big refill jug for $11-$13 (3.68 litres), regular size $3.99 as well.

awwnaw

TRIBE Member
You have a serious olafacotry situation going on if you can still smell scent on your dishes after they've dried. That's nuts. My experience with the hippie unscented stuff is that I may as well be washing my dishes with egg whites. No emulsification of grease. I have however had good experiences with sulfate free stuff that uses coconut oil as a key ingredient. I wonder if you could use Dr.Bronners baby stuff? I've used it as laundry detergent before. Worked great. You literally use 2 drops and it foams and cleanses like crazy. Unscented and a litre is about $12-13 not on sale. It lists like 761 different uses on the bottle. Check it out.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

kirstenmeows

TRIBE Member
I still swear by original Dawn dish detergent. Works great on dishes (if you rinse them properly they won't smell - unless your water stinks) and works great at removing oil slicks from unfortunate wildlife - yes, it does work! If it removes crude oil from feathers, imagine how well it'll remove bacon grease from your plates! :)

JamesM

TRIBE Member
I like the smelly stuff. It's called aromatherapy. It really works. It's not like cheezy axe deodorant...

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

peko

TRIBE Member
So it is like a concentrated soap that you dilute for different purposes, is that right?
Pretty much. I used it on my floors (in a pinch) before. Definitely use sparingly. Rexall, Shoppers, Loblaws and Qi Natural Foods sell Dr. B too - it'll be in the body soap (natural/ organic foods area of grocers) section.

MeowMix: I love the Dawn/Cascade Dishwasher Pods!

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I went to Shoppers and Dawn was on sale for $1.99 a bottle, compared to their clear Free & Easy (with Aloe Vera!) or whatever the fuck it is called at $4.99 a bottle.

I am not going to clean any ducks or anything but I unscrewed a bottle of the blue stuff and it didn't smell too strong so I bought 2. We'll see how that goes.

awwnaw

TRIBE Member
Dawn is the best. Best emulsifying soap on the market. If you ever get grease stains on clothes I use it on that two. Sometimes takes more than one wash with reapplication of Dawn but works like a charm.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Polymorph

TRIBE Member
This past April 2014 some neighbor near tossed a 6 litre tub of Sunlight in the trash, almost full, cuz they were moving. So I grabbed that.

Haven't thought about dishwashing liquid much since then, cuz, y'know, free year's supply

But when I get around to it I'll guess I'll grab some Dawn because, hey, if it's good enough for cleaning oily birds, it's good enough for my dishes.

(as a side note, I use SOS pads to actually get rid of grease).

wow, we're old