• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Why is "garage" called "garage"?

JOSHB

TRIBE Member
Anybody have an answer for this one? Does is have something to do with parties in garages? Music being made in garages?

deevah

TRIBE Member
music played @ the garage as in paradise garage

c'mon, josh, i'd thought that'd be an obvious one ;)

Don C

TRIBE Member
Garage (dance music)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Garage is any of several different varieties of modern electronic dance music generally connected to house or disco. Usage is different in the US and UK.

The term was first used in the US to describe records in the late 70s and early 80s that formed the eclectic playlist of the "Paradise Garage" nightclub in New York City. Over time, the term in the US came to mainly describe the more soulful, gospel-inspired styles of disco and house music first made popular by Tony Humphries at club Zanzibar in Newark, NJ.

The evolution of house music in the UK in the late 1990s led to the term being applied to a new form of music also known as speed garage or UK Garage. This style is now frequently combined with other forms of music like hip hop, rap and R&B, all broadly filed under the description urban music. The correct pronunciation of UK Garage is "GARR-idge" (rather than the American pronunciation "grr-AHGE"), as this is the most common pronunciation of the word in the British Isles.

dvs

TRIBE Promoter
garage= paradise garage reference (nyc) (levan et al....)
house= the warehouse (chicago) (knuckles et al...)

legendary 'birthplaces'...

d

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

why not

TRIBE Member
this wasn't a real question was it?

i guess not everybody researchs the history of the music they love, but c'mon people, you can at least do a bit of reading.

here's something i posted in the general forum that should fill in some of the gaps - http://www.tribemagazine.com/board/showthread.php?t=111626

incidentally, not many old school new yorkers use the term 'garage' - most just call it underground dance music. to people who went to the garage, there will never be anything else like it.

derek

TRIBE Member
yeah, garage lost it's meaning in the early 90s. people just started associating it with soulful house music when it actually invovled many different genres. i think that's why some reverted to underground dance music.

HaliBubba

TRIBE Promoter
i'd say that what is referred to as 'garage' these days is just a homogenized version of it or a modern-day intepretation of it anyways. Larry Levin played across the board from disco divas like Diana Summers, Diana Ross, etc to bands he helped produce like Imagination, to classic electronic and new wave bands like.. early Bronski Beat, etc. The term Garage was coined on all of these sounds collectively combined, but it was just a reference to the music that Larry was playing, and not a set genre at that time. In short, think gay-friendly underground dance music in the early 80s = garage.

JOSHB

TRIBE Member
HaliBubba said:
Larry inspired ALOT of people. even Paul Oakenfold! :)

And of course all my favorite NY cats. (Osunlade and John Cutler notwithstanding). But what is the gutter sound that I hear coming from garage djs?

dvs

TRIBE Promoter
JOSHB said:
And of course all my favorite NY cats. (Osunlade and John Cutler notwithstanding). But what is the gutter sound that I hear coming from garage djs?
huh?

d

p.s. great decriptions hali. why not, bang on for the modern day use of 'udm' as a more appropriate term for what 'real' ol' skool garage stood for. (it was soul, jazz, afrobeat, r&b, disco, etc.) the modern-day use of the term garage has been associated to the more melodic and soulful deep house sound which is usually vocal-based and organic sounding (keys, percussion, and usually a combination of other live instrumentation)

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

JOSHB

TRIBE Member
dvs said:
p.s. great decriptions hali. why not, bang on for the modern day use of 'udm' as a more appropriate term for what 'real' ol' skool garage stood for. (it was soul, jazz, afrobeat, r&b, disco, etc.) the modern-day use of the term garage has been associated to the more melodic and soulful deep house sound which is usually vocal-based and organic sounding (keys, percussion, and usually a combination of other live instrumentation)

huh?

:p

grit

TRIBE Member
yeah, josh b def. says some WACK shit.
you should know what garage is. - basic house theory here.
gutter?

derek

TRIBE Member
is garage music really basic house history, or is house a part of garage history? does it really matter?

i had an interesting conversation with larry heard when he was at 99Suds last time. we were talking about genres and i said it's all house music to me. his reply, "it's all just music to me." then we started talking about philosophy.

why not

TRIBE Member
derek said:
his reply, "it's all just music to me." then we started talking about philosophy.
and that's really the real answer.

sub-genre based djing is boring, and from everything i've heard from people who actually heard larry levan play, he would be as into all the electro house as he would be into broken beat or soulful house.
fuck, he'd probably be playing LCD soundsystem too.
if you're going to entertain people for more than 4 hours, you need to bring more than one beat.

JOSHB

TRIBE Member
derek said:
is garage music really basic house history, or is house a part of garage history? does it really matter?

i had an interesting conversation with larry heard when he was at 99Suds last time. we were talking about genres and i said it's all house music to me. his reply, "it's all just music to me." then we started talking about philosophy.
:)