• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

why is everyone so surprised about Olivia Chow running for mayor?

ravinjunkie

TRIBE Member
It was so obvious! I knew she was going to run, She's an amazing woman. I hope Toronto gets it right this time.

kuba

TRIBE Member
No one is surprised. Who is surprised? Your friends? The media? Who? I haven't heard one person say OMG she's running. There was no viable left candidate so she is striking at the opportunity.

And here's hoping, she strikes the fuck out. I heard her presser today and she just doesn't do it for me. NOr does the current bamboozling mothefuck of an embarassment but let's just assume he's going to lose.

acheron

TRIBE Member
between her and Tory I'll take either. It's consensus building I'm looking for - it's all the mayor really has to do. And i'm ok with either of their individual politics. My main concern is a city council that works together again with a mayor we can be proud of.

dig this

TRIBE Member
between her and Tory I'll take either. It's consensus building I'm looking for - it's all the mayor really has to do. And i'm ok with either of their individual politics. My main concern is a city council that works together again with a mayor we can be proud of.
exactly... I'm definitely more of a lefty when I vote, but this current administration had made me realize that consensus building should come before anything right now. I think Olivia Chow is great, but I'm concerned it's going to be another divide if she wins. Tory looks like a pretty good option at this point for me.

DJ Vuvu Zela

TRIBE Member
ya, no one is "surprised" she's running. a lot of people are excited.

I think she'll probably take it, which i'll be fine with. we have a weak mayor system so anyone scared she'll transform Toronto into some welfare utopia is an idiot.

Has Chow clarified what she'd want to do with the scarborough subway vs LRT question? missed her presser this morning.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

djfear

TRIBE Member
I'm not sure whom I will vote for between the 3 potential candidates that don't suck as hard as the current one.

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
this. i'm voting for olivia chow.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Ford cant win guys - our long nightmare is over!

All it was gonna take was a candidate from the right to get on the stage and say "hey i have conservative policies - without the crack and the crazy" We have two of these now.

All these fatalists predicting a ford win were forgetting we are going to have an election with alternatives presented!

acheron

TRIBE Member
four way split on the right, only olivia chow on the left.

I figure downtown will predictably go with Chow, and Tory second.
Chow will have a third of the popular vote.

Tory will dominate the four right candidates but only he will come close to Chow (or beat her narrowly)

Stintz, Tory and Socnacki will all take their pieces of Rob's 2010 electorate. Rob will be left with the crazy Ford Nation core, I don't think he'll get more than 10% of the popular vote.

Chow 25-33.3%
Tory 25-33.3%
Stintz 12.5%
Socnacki 11.5"
Ford 10%

kyfe

TRIBE Member
When addressing the issues look at it this way

Chow - taxes go up, social programs get reinstated
Tory - police budget goes up, taxes remain stable
Ford - police budget slashed, no tax increase, 4 years so stupidity

Re transit, I don't feel any are capable of accelerating the process

stryker

TRIBE Member
If I still lived in TO I'd be voting for Tory.

I'm surprised people are surprised that Chow is running, but i'm actually more surprised at how quickly everyone is discarding Rob Ford. Everyone seems to be writing off Sweaty Bob thinking that the electorate will use intelligent rationale thinking. I've said this before, don't underestimate the power of the idiot box. He's not stupid, those Kimmel appearances are really f*ing valuable. Butt of the joke or not, the mere fact that he's on there getting all of that air time is super powerful. With Ukraine, Syria, Malay airlines and whatever else saturating the airwaves for the next quarter, all it takes is for one more big story or scandal ( like Usain Bolt getting caught for steroids or something) to take the heat away. He'll slip back into Homer Simpson appeal and with an appearance or two in the fall, Ford will just slide back into another 4 years.

If he gets arrested, then he's done but if that doesn't happen before the election he's still a top contender, so be weary.

stew

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
Tory or Chow for me.

and at least i think Tory will try to work with the council as will chow instead of turning it into a joke everytime they open their mouths.

SO fucking glad that piece of shit Fucktard Ford will be ousted.

DJ Vuvu Zela

TRIBE Member
Has Chow clarified what she'd want to do with the scarborough subway vs LRT question? missed her presser this morning.
it seems Chow is supporting the scarborough LRT plan, so she's got my vote.

Re transit, I don't feel any are capable of accelerating the process
Chow is supporting the Scarborough LRT plan, while Tory & Ford support the subway plan. Right there she'll save well over a billion dollars (if she can get council on side), so i think you're way of looking at things is way off.

Also to say "no tax increase" with Ford is pure BS. We had a tax freeze in 2011 because they tapped into city surplus. We can't do that every year (as evidenced by the fact that we've had tax increases for the last 2),

R4V4G3D_SKU11S

TRIBE Member

s
No, don't look at it that way at all, please!

Taxes went up under Ford's watch. Just another myth people seem to buy. In fact they will have to go up even further regardless of who gets in, to pay for the financial spot he's "guided" the City into.

There is a ridiculous dialogue creeping into politics, heralded by the Fords here in Toronto, that Lefties tax and spend, while Conservatives keep taxes and thus expenditures low. This is completely untrue on a basic level. All governments tax and spend, it's just that Lefties tend to spend tax money more on social programs and small business, while Conservatives spend tax money on big business interests. If you are voting against Chow because you think her background in the NDP means skyrocketing tax increases, you need to do more basic research into how government operates and is paid for.

Ho||yw0oD

TRIBE Member
four way split on the right, only olivia chow on the left.

I figure downtown will predictably go with Chow, and Tory second.
Chow will have a third of the popular vote.

Tory will dominate the four right candidates but only he will come close to Chow (or beat her narrowly)

Stintz, Tory and Socnacki will all take their pieces of Rob's 2010 electorate. Rob will be left with the crazy Ford Nation core, I don't think he'll get more than 10% of the popular vote.

Chow 25-33.3%
Tory 25-33.3%
Stintz 12.5%
Socnacki 11.5"
Ford 10%
I think this is very close to what we'll see, with perhaps exception to Ford only getting 10%. He has such a loyal base and I think even if he were to be arrested this wouldn't hurt him as much as it would hurt anyone else.

I think we'll see:

Chow 35%
Tory 30%
Ford 25%
Socnacki 10%

Stintz will drop out and put her support behind Tory.

kyfe

TRIBE Member
No, don't look at it that way at all, please!

Taxes went up under Ford's watch. Just another myth people seem to buy. In fact they will have to go up even further regardless of who gets in, to pay for the financial spot he's "guided" the City into.

There is a ridiculous dialogue creeping into politics, heralded by the Fords here in Toronto, that Lefties tax and spend, while Conservatives keep taxes and thus expenditures low. This is completely untrue on a basic level. All governments tax and spend, it's just that Lefties tend to spend tax money more on social programs and small business, while Conservatives spend tax money on big business interests. If you are voting against Chow because you think her background in the NDP means skyrocketing tax increases, you need to do more basic research into how government operates and is paid for.
prove it, because my property taxes haven't increased

kyfe

TRIBE Member
it seems Chow is supporting the scarborough LRT plan, so she's got my vote.

Chow is supporting the Scarborough LRT plan, while Tory & Ford support the subway plan. Right there she'll save well over a billion dollars (if she can get council on side), so i think you're way of looking at things is way off.
by supporting LRT she is further delaying the transit expansion, I really hate to break it to you but by doing so there will be penalties/fees for cancelling the subway contracts that will offset any LRT savings or at best eat a huge chunk of said savings.

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
by supporting LRT she is further delaying the transit expansion, I really hate to break it to you but by doing so there will be penalties/fees for cancelling the subway contracts that will offset any LRT savings or at best eat a huge chunk of said savings.
LRT is already planned and funded. Subway plan does not even have EAs done. It is the Subway plan that is delaying transit.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

agentRC4

TRIBE Member
I have no respect for Ms. Chow. Well some I guess

She was elected to city council on 3 occasions and each occasion she left early to pursue a federal position (MP). She was an elected council women for the city of Toronto for 6 weeks before leaving the last time to run federally and the last time we know she won.

How much did it cost to fun bi-elections each time she left city counsel? Respect for the tax payer? Respect for the members in her riding? Nope she left them high and dry.

How much you want to bet Mike Layton abandons his seat to run for him mommy's old one?

Oh this bothers me regardless of the political spectrum you are on. You ran for office and won. Work your full term first as you were elected to do.

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
The city’s property tax rates were frozen in 2011, raised 2.5 per cent in 2012 and raised by 2 per cent in 2013. They'll go up another 2.5 per cent in 2014.

kuba

TRIBE Member
ummm....if you live in Toronto they certainly have.
SNEAKYPETE he isn't going to jail
kyfe - taxes may have risen by a few % points but nothing major
besides, our property taxes SHOULD rise by a lot more to pay for things - as long as the tax raise is spent well, i'm OK with that believe it or not. if it's spent cancelling contracts and paying unionized labourers $35 an hour where we can pay half that just b/c it's in our contract that we HAVE TO tender to union shops only, then I'm not ok with that

kuba

TRIBE Member
2.5% is very little

i wonder if any of them will argue to get rid of the LTT

ford said he would (liar) and of course he cannot

I'm against cutting the LTT by the way (land transfer tax)