• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

why is ebloc shit these days?

Stop Bill C-10

evil homer

TRIBE Member
here, here

Me "Hey do you have Plastic Surgery 3"
them "Not till next week"
me "how about the next Renegades of Funk single"
them "not for a few weeks"
me "shake it remixes?" (lo and behold they were at play de)
them" nope, but we have this illfingas rmx of alicia keys"
me"not into that really"
them"check out this stuff" (hands top 40 tech step)
me"not at all what i'm looking for"
them "oh well then check this" (hands me mampi swift)
me (sigh)

stores gotta recognzie that a) more than techstep moves dancefloors and b)many dj's are interested in records not solely motivated for dancefloor.
getting records in on time would be nice too

feisty boy

TRIBE Member
whatever happened to their promise that the new location 'means big advantages for everyone - you'll see' (something along those lines)

evil homer

TRIBE Member
^^still problematic
(or at least it is when dealing with fully loaded)

yes we have those tracks, my firned will bring them up tuesday (on tuesday they say saturday, on saturday they say next thursday)

Finally i come to TO, they don't have my records -- some of which have since sold out -- GRRRRR

S'all about chemical. a little bit of BBS and when in Toronto Metropolis, rotate, and play de (who have been wicked to me since christmas time)

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

sauce

TRIBE Member
Yeah i agree the new Ebloc is pretty shit. Another thing i noticed is that its always so quiet it's like a funeral in there. I mean the listening stations are cool but i used to like going into the jungle room on adalade and hearing all these new tunes getting pumped. The other store was way cooler. Even the set up with the separate rooms.
peace
sauce

T

TRIBE Member
Eastern Bloc has lost it since the move. Ive been there once, walked in and walked out.

T

TRIBE Member
and I agree, play De is where its at right now. Everytime Ive walked in there lately, they have had all the new tunes, and some oldskool gems.

Funky Boodah is really good too!!

noahmintz

TRIBE Member
The only real problem I've noticed about E-Bloc since the move has been the website
There used to me audio clips for pretty much every track
And now there are very few
And it takes a lot longer for records to get to me now
But other than that I still think the store's great
Robb's doing a great job!
Then again ... this is coming from a breaks dj ... so I wouldn't really know what's going on with the jungle / dnb side of things

stu

noahmintz

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Nebu kad
ebloc is fine for the hobbyist/bedroom types.

They get a lot of breaks tracks that other stores don't
They also tend to get a lot of tracks before other stores do

stu

Nebu kad

TRIBE Member
since you have played out i wasn't really directing that at you. im sure that they do have their good qualities.

Pure Silk

TRIBE Member
u think the jungle section is bad!!!!!

U should see the UKG section Thats somthing to be laughed at!!!

No disrespect to the shop I'm pretty sure they don't sell enuff UKG to justify them restocking it reguarly

but if they took the enishitive to support the format the dj's would support them (sales)

My opinion!

sauce

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Nebu kad
ebloc is fine for the hobbyist/bedroom types.

What does that supposed to mean? Only you big time superstar DJ's should be able to get good upfront tunes. I never play out but when i go record shopping i want to be able to get brand new good tunes.

Plus i have to agree the breaks section is looking very nice scince Rob took over.

Peace
sauce

evil homer

TRIBE Member
Indeed
I don't keep up on breaks seriously, i don't know what all the hot new plates are and such, but I have been impressed with the tunes rob showed me.

Whoever their jungle buyer is orders a pretty narrow band of DnB though.

jungleboy

TRIBE Promoter
....I'm not even sure if there is a real lack of tunes since they moved or if there is, if it is not due to there not being tons of hot tunes...it is winter guys....however...

...the store is so dank and depressing.....everything you hate about record stores.....such a sad vibe...

...the old store was way cooler on so many levels.....

...I hope they enjoy the $$$$$$$$$$

Play De....the Net.......thta's where I get most of my jungle now....

AVE

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by sauce

I never play out but when i go record shopping i want to be able to get brand new good tunes

now thats a fucking LIE if i ever heard one

:p

dj SPINZ

TRIBE Promoter
Ever heard the expression "Life is what you make it."?

That's how it is at Eastern Bloc. Its funny how everything that is better at the new store people come and tell us all the time yet when something is negative...we have to see it on a random message board.

Here's the deal,
if there is a label you want us to carry...come and tell us.
if there is something that we're missing...come tell us.
if there is something you want to see improved on the website...
come tell us.

Its not that hard, all of our staff are so easy to talk to, and its our job to bendover backwards to try and make you happy. We thank all of the people that have stuck by us through the move as we are still in a building process. Our move happened right in the middle of a recession so its been tough to get everything perfect...but rest assured that with spring around the corner, we have loads of improvements which should aleviate some of the problems you guys mentioned.

1. We are returning to 2 shipments a week so we will have the records on time and on the shelf at the same time our before anyone.

2. Get ready for the new Jungle/D'n'B e-mail list. Just send an e-mail to spinz@easternbloc.com with "add me to the Jungle List" in the subject. We will be using this to inform people of New Releases, Upcoming Wicked tunes, Future release dates, New labels and artists to look out for. Also just send any complaints or "wants" to this address.

3. The Website catalogue section is being updated. Get ready for a new easier to use Database coming soon. Also you will see an exponential improvement in the amount of soundclips on the site. We should be back to having everything soundclipped very soon.

Other things i wanted to point out:
The new store is set up with the dj in mind. You have listening booths so if you know what you want, you can be in and out of there in 10 minutes rather than having to sit through everyones "top 40 tech step". We still have a system though, you can infact swivel the speakers to point straight at your head and crank it if thats what you need to hear the records!

Also, for the future we would love it if you guys just came in, introduced yourself to us and told us straight up what you want to see at our store. Or if you prefer e-mail me at spinz@easternbloc.com
Much easier for everyone than having to reply to a random web post...

dj SPINZ
www.blaydrunner.com
www.easternbloc.com

-Rudebwoy_Chin-

TRIBE Member
Bookah!

I use to frequent Eastern Bloc enough, but after going to check out the new store once over the Christmas Break, I was deterred from ever returning. I must've had like five records in my hand (signifying i was about to drop a decent amount of paper) and I ask the worker behind the decks if he has "SuperStylin" . I don't really listen to that genre, I just wanted the tune on wax. He promptly says: "Sorry, we don't carry anything that's played on the radio. Maybe you should check downstairs in the CD singles selection."

Fuck you buddy.
Haven't been back since.
Spite is a mo'fucka.

Nebu kad

TRIBE Member
in response to what rudebuoy said,

I think everyone there is supper nice, and very helpfull. i have never had any problem with the staff there, and enjoy being there when i am there because the place is chill.

smile

TRIBE Member
pablo...

i think maybe people are kind of apprehensive about asking you guys to carry stuff/about stuff because sometimes when people are in there it's like a big "i'm so cool" contest....kind of funny, really.

i've seen nuff people walk into ebloc and get treated like shit just because they don't really know a lot about the music. i'm not saying the people behind the counter are always the ones doing it...in fact it's mostly the ones who are in the "i'm-mystical's-best friend-and-i-have-every-promo-and-his-shit-is-on-my-lips-because-i-lick-his-asshole-all-day" club that are the ones doing that kind of thing.

honestly, it's a real turnoff not only for the store, but for the entire jungle scene when people who are trying to be a part of it get slagged off because they're new and don't know a whole lot yet.

and trust me, people don't just talk about the attitude in ebloc on message boards, i hear people talking about it all the time.

SE7EN

TRIBE Member
yeah well. pablo is a nice guy - anyone who says different is picking their teeth up off the sidewalk with broken fingers.....

-7-

jungleboy

TRIBE Promoter
...no problem with the staff....at all...

but

it can't be denied...the space is lacking...not one lick of natural light.....

eco.R1

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by smile
i've seen nuff people walk into ebloc and get treated like shit just because they don't really know a lot about the music.

please define "treated like shit" and WHEN you saw this sort of behaviour from an ebloc staff member. i'm at ebloc more hours per week than anyone and i NEVER see this sort of thing. we're all really chill and go out of our way to help out.....pablo, ist, deko-ze, robb g, et al.......are all VERY approachable. it's just not in their nature to act in a negative way.

craig