1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

why im glad I was a kid of the eighties

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by Dirty Girl, Mar 24, 2010.

1. Dirty Girl

Dirty Girl TRIBE Member

The 80s were the best. there is no doubt about it. I am so glad I grew up then, being a kid today must totally suck.

1. well #1 is the music obviously, it totally rocked. nuff said.

2. all the John Huges movies... there was, is and never will be better movies than pretty in pink, sixteen candles, breakfast club etc.... not to mention we got to come of age seeing partrick swayze shaking his thang in Dirty Dancing, and freddy krueger was nice and fresh and scary.

3. saturday morning cartoons, do they even saturday morning cartoons anymore? we got to watch cool stuff like bugs bunny, which they dont show anymore cause its too violent etc..

4. didnt have to wear bike helmets

5. an obscene amount of sitcoms like growing pains, whos the boss, silver spoons etc.... with tons of cutie stars. which we watched with our parents and then had conversations about the episodes after when they important topics like sex or drinking. (well maybe not the last part)

6. we got to hang out at the library. do kids today even bother going to the library.

7. candy was like 5 cents for feet. 10 cents for the 5 packs of the small ball gums. popsicles were like 25 cents at the most.

8. we learned how to write and speak properly, none of the text messaging crap that has ruined kids english. our rappers actually rapped with real words instead of made up garbage. and thats fo shizzle.

9. AFTERSCHOOL SPECIALS...those movies were off the fucking hook yo.

10. The birth of transformers, cabbage patch kids, gi joe, my little pony etc... cabbage patch kids were like a major phenomenom, and we were there to witness it. we had some kick ass toys back then. I think the kids today get totally ripped off.

I love the eighties. everything was fresh and new then, now its all just recycled crap. the only that hasnt changed from the 80s, is that bon jovi is still totally fucking hot :cool:ch33se

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  2. solacevip

solacevip TRIBE Promoter

You lost me at Bon Jovi.

3. Dirty Girl

Dirty Girl TRIBE Member

4. diablo

diablo TRIBE Member

#1 = coming of age in the 90s

5. coleridge

coleridge TRIBE Member

I'm truly a kid of the 80s. I went from age 6 to 16. What an amazing time to grow up. I have very fond memories of my childhood.

6. artemis

artemis TRIBE Member

Yeah, being an 80s kid really rocked!

Things just seem so fast now in comparison. I was also the first generation to have been born with a 'personal use computer' in the house, so that was pretty rad too.

7. cosmosuave

cosmosuave TRIBE Member

Pretty much sums up Growing Up as a Kid In The 70's... Just add disco and rollerskating...

8. mariazmess

mariazmess TRIBE Member

so jealous!!! (sincerely.)

agreed Dirty Girl... 'cept for John Hughes. never was a fan. scratch that, Bueller was awesome.

ps Helmets are for sissies.

9. PAUZE

PAUZE TRIBE Promoter

Great music from the 80's thats for sure.

New Order, Duran Duran! Brap!

10. NemIsis

NemIsis TRIBE Member

Child-70's and a teen in the 80's. Loved it.

70's was all Supertramp, The BeeGee's, Cheap Trick, Queen, The Who, David Bowie (I was in love with the man) etc.,

80's was Michael Jackson, Depeche Mode, Simple minds, Fine Young Cannibals, The Police, and I could go on and on..

The Spoons played our high school dance. What's not to love?

11. erika

erika TRIBE Member

3. Saturday cartoons were around waaay before that and so cool :) glad you got them too

5. libraries are still great; you should see the one at the end of my street - always packed.

12. JamesM

JamesM TRIBE Member

i love all 80s music and michael j fox. back to the future. yes.

13. JamesM

JamesM TRIBE Member

my fav band. ever.

14. billy

billy TRIBE Member

this should be second after the john hughes movies. i remember doing group trips to the local public library. remember microfiches (sp)? submitting assignments on paper with a pen..no spell check. having to use a photocopier to include pictures and attaching them with a glue stick.

15. Dirty Girl

Dirty Girl TRIBE Member

^ sniffing those different coloured liquid papers they had,
    and sniffing those markers that were all like fruit flavour smelly (they probably still have those).

and choose your own adventure books, and judy blume, and SWEET VALLEY MOTHERFUCKING HIGH !!!!

16. Polymorph

Polymorph TRIBE Member

yeah I was a teen in the 80s, and soo...

pros:
    Kate Bush was beyond awesome, and Peter Gabriel was still relevant
    ...+ Blondie, The Bauhaus, New Order, The Police....
    There were lots of cool *underground* clubs that looked trashy and not flashy, and that was appealing (and they cranked Bauhaus all the time (*read: Foufounes, and Quasimodo, here in Mtl)
    - it was reaaallly easy to find a job, and with such ready availability came instant disposability (if you really hated that job), and I really liked that.
    -Eurotrash arthouse films were strangely appealing (Godard, Herzog, Fassbinder...)
    - rents, (in both Vancouver and Montreal), were relatively and insanely dirt cheap compared to now.

cons:
    - I fucking hated 80s television, which is why, upon moving out the parent's place, I did not have a television for 10 years.
    -cartoons? Hey, they have Cartoon Networks now, that run cartoons 24-7. So what's the big deal about Saturday morning stuff?
    - a fucking Fairlight synth cost $100,000. Now one can achieve the same results with 500$ in hardware and a decent host program.
    -long distance charges, thanks to the monopoly of Bell, were insane. Now it's just pfffft, petty change (unless you're on Rogers, apparently)
    -oh, and Michael Milkin and massive corporate greed that led to the implosion of the stock markets.. oh, wait, that hasn't changed much...
    -Didn't care much for the John Hughes stuff, but Fast Times At Ridgemont High had Phoebe Cates spectacular tits on full display.... (and was otherwise a decent teen movie....)

dodido...

17. WestsideWax

WestsideWax TRIBE Promoter

Maaan, the 50s were the biz, y'knowhatI'msayin'? You had Coltrane, Davis, Bird, Monk...all them cats were just killing it on a regular basis. The war was over, business was booming, colour TV was just coming into vogue and the Honeymooners were always there to make us laugh.

Oh yeah, and HULA HOOPS!

18. Dirty Girl

Dirty Girl TRIBE Member

I would have liked the 50s too cause I like their big skirts.

19. agentRC4

agentRC4 TRIBE Member

the best was the smell from the paper that came from the ditto (is that what they were called) machines. Before photocopiers I guess.

Awesome smell.

20. jared k

jared k TRIBE Member

21. ScottBentley

ScottBentley TRIBE Member

:O

I think I know what School you went to!

GO RAIDERS!

;)

22. Mrs. Pink

Mrs. Pink TRIBE Member

ah the 80's.....the good old days where and 8 year old kid could go to the store and buy his mum a pack of Rothmans.

I'd also return the pop bottles and get some change and play dig dug.

23. ila

ila TRIBE Member

I can only really remember the second half of the eighties, so I guess I was really a 90s child, but I definitely recall the Saturday morning cartoons, Today's Special, She-Rah, Cabbage Patch Dolls, Teddy Ruxpin and really sugary cereals being an acceptable breakfast.

So I guess all I was concerned with back then was cartoons, toys and candy. All were good in the 80s.

24. Littlest Hobo

Littlest Hobo TRIBE Member

fify

25. ScottBentley

ScottBentley TRIBE Member

I remember The Hilarious House Of Frightenstein, The Shmoo and Captain Cave Man quite fondly from the early Eighties

we weren't allowed sugary cereals, only when we went to Gramma's :(

Oh yeah, The Pop Shoppe ruled

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010