• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

why i hate the toronto star

judge wopner

TRIBE Member
Toronto Star
Feb. 6, 2004. 01:00 AM
Rebuilding a culture of pride
by Carol Brown

February is Black History Month. And for good reason. People of African heritage have a long history and have made many contributions to this country and to the world.
We celebrate Black History Month because in the "white" world the word "black" seems to conjure up images of violence, and instils fear.

----------------------------

this why i hate the toronto star.

where is this white world she speaks of?
and who says all these white people belong to some supposed world where they collectively believe black people are bad?

black or white or brown or what ever that was the stupidest editorial ive read,
thanks again to the toronto star.

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
I actually dislike many things about the Star too. They try to act like an intelligent version of the Toronto Sun sometimes. However, it's a fine line... sometimes their articles are good.

AdRiaN

TRIBE Member
February is Black History Month. And for good reason. People of African heritage have a long history and have made many contributions to this country and to the world.
Carol Brown should have just stopped here and not written that last sentence.

stir-fry

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by OTIS
It's a pretty short editorial too.. got the rest of the article handy? Or a link even?

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Co...geid=971358637177&c=Article&cid=1075980683078

February is Black History Month. And for good reason. People of African heritage have a long history and have made many contributions to this country and to the world. We celebrate Black History Month because in the "white" world the word "black" seems to conjure up images of violence, and instils fear.

Once a year, the black community celebrates and reminds the world, and us, of the inventions, innovations and other positive gifts that we contribute to society in the hopes that through knowledge comes understanding, acceptance and equality.

But so often the images of blacks that are seen are of mothers, wives, sisters, and friends mourning the death of black fathers, husbands, brothers and friends lost to them through acts of senseless violence.

The media portray black women as voiceless and powerless against the drugs and guns that are consuming our community. However, the opposite is true.

While many of these women are single parents who live in low-income housing and work two or three minimum-wage jobs to survive, they are a part of a vocal and powerful community that also includes professionals, artists, students, entrepreneurs, employees, mentors and community leaders who are working continuously towards rebuilding a culture of pride and prosperity.

Women have always been the foundation of the black community — not out of choice, but necessity. During slavery, men were often sold away from their families and could not offer the protection and stability that was needed to maintain the family structure.

Today, many factors contribute to this continuing vicious circle. Many black children are being raised without fathers.

Without positive black male role models, black youth are losing their way and are being deceived by music videos with their images of extravagant lifestyles, gyrating half-naked men and women, sexual lyrics, palatial homes, obscene amounts of money, enormous gaudy pieces of jewelry, and expensive logo-embossed clothing.

Black History Month is a vehicle to remind black youth of their histories as kings and queens, as inventors and innovators, and as a people who have overcome the worst atrocities in history. And still we rise!

We are not helpless, voiceless or powerless. Our voices and power can be seen in the myriad of community organizations that we have built to provide information, education, networking, integration, economic development and leadership to our community.

In essence, it is applying the seven principles of Kwanzaa, (the African holiday celebrating family, community and culture that is celebrated worldwide from Dec. 26 to Jan. 1) — unity, self-determination, collective work and responsibility, co-operative economics, purpose, creativity and faith — to our lives to reconnect our spirits and get back to our roots.

The power is real. In fact, African-Canadians control more than $25 billion in disposable income.

Half of the African-Canadian market is between the ages of 25 and 44 with 56 per cent of those being women. Seventy per cent of the black population in Canada live in the Greater Toronto and Montreal areas. African-Canadians are the third largest ethnic group in Canada (based on 2001 figures) and are the second largest diverse group in the GTA.

And the voice is real. It's heard on Flow 93.5 and between the covers of The Black Pages Directory.

The Black Business and Professional Association and the National Black Alliance are among organizations that showcase the entrepreneurial spirit of our community. The Jamaican Canadian Association, the Ontario Black History Awareness Society and It Takes a Village are organizations that all play a role in cementing our past and paving our future.

And these are just a few of the numerous voices with something to say not only during February but all year round.

There are many activities happening in celebration of Black History Month throughout the GTA and surrounding communities.

While these events are a celebration of our African heritage they are not events that are exclusive to the black community. Feel free to participate in any activity and hopefully you will have a good time and learn something positive about your black neighbours.

I hope through that knowledge will come understanding, acceptance and one day, equality.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
i've got a bittersweet relationship with the star.

on one hand it's nice to have such a well read centrist newspaper in mass circulation and on the other i think columnists like rosie dimano should be sterilized and destroyed.

oh i forgot to mention, the single best thing about the star is the writing of ben rayner. he might be the best young writer in toronto right now.

OTIS

TRIBE Member
I find it's good to read articles from all our local papers (excluding the Sun).. I mean, now that we're in the electronic age, it's not that hard to pay attention to many at once. Subscribing to one because their particular bias is within your tolerance level is not that logical. Personally I like to pay attention to the National Post because I find their choice of headlines not only predictably partisan, but amusing. Particularly I like to read what they're indoctrinating their crowd with, and look for the journalistic standards they are breaking on that particular day. ;)

http://news.google.ca should be your homepage.

And read your fav paper & editorials (op-ed) when you can.

Jazz

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Neo-Marxist
Get the Globe and Mail instead. It's the best newspaper in Canada.

a sad truth... it's a decent paper but pales in comparison to the top uk/french papers...

OTIS

TRIBE Member
P.S. I just re-read my reply and I didn't mean to imply that I read the National Post exclusively, but I was just using it as an example of taking advantage of the convenience of reading a paper that I wouldn't wipe my ass with, just because I can.

Littlest Hobo

TRIBE Member
she probably wouldn;t like this article...

link

Albinos Of The World Unite!

You Have Nothing To Lose But Your Brains

Wednesday, February 11, 2004

Being as I am an aspiring dead white male, I believe I could weary of hearing harsh words about what guttersnipes we are, and sludge, and sharpers, and impediments to civilization, and rapists and slave drivers and Marines: yes, and just no damned good. For one thing, I think we are a splendid lot. For another, I notice that most of the yapping comes from life’s camp-followers—from those who didn’t and can’t and aren’t likely to. Yet they seem perfectly willing to live in a world that white European males built. It is not a dignified performance.

Now, graciousness is a trademark of this column. And a good thing, too, as otherwise I might say, “Them as can’t compete can shut up. Talk to me when you have credentials. Now bugger off.” But no. I won’t say it.

I may think it though.

Permit me a suggestion to those who appreciate us not. (See? I’m trying to be helpful.) I address it to race hustlers, to bilious feminists of immoderate inutility, which is all of them, and to the gelding professors of the Ivy Leagues.

Look around you and see whether you can find anything, with a moving part, that isn’t the work of white European males. You might start with your refrigerator, which you probably don’t understand. What about your hair dryer? You do know how an electric motor works?

Yes, I know what the grade-school textbooks say. The electric motor sprang from the work of the Guatemalan Native-Peoples thinker Rigoberta Tloxyproctyl who, while planting cassava with a sharp stick, discovered the npn junction, foresaw the integrated circuit, and founded Intel. Previously she had invented the amniote egg.

From the same books you would conclude that the central figure of the Civil War was not Robert E. Lee but Sojourner Truth, that the Iliad was written not by Homer but by Marge, and that civilization had been invented by grub-eating, pre-literate if you are optimistic occasional cannibals of color in the Amazon basin who barely understand the engineering underlying the loincloth. (If engineering is what underlies loincloths. I’ve never looked.) Mendacity is no substitute for achievement.

Now, I suspect that these uprooters of white maledom don’t appreciate their blessings because they don’t understand them. Familiarity breeds a sense of understanding, but not understanding itself. If miraculous things are always there, it’s easy to regard them as just part of the world, like bananas in the tropics.

Consider. If you showed a television set to a bushman in New Guinea, and asked him how it worked, he would say, “Hoo! Bad juju, boss. Heap spirits dey in it, talk talk.” He would have the judgement to be astonished by what is, after all, astonishing.

Now imagine asking the same question of Al Sharpton, or Gloria Steinem or, let us say, the head of Harvard’s Department of Micronesian Lesbian Studies, Carnita Tlacuache-Lombriz.

She: “Uh, well, waves. You know. In the air. Oppression, people of color, capitalism….”

Me: “Yes, Ms. Tlacuache-Lombriz! Splendid! You are on to something. But can you be more precise? What kind of waves? Surf, perhaps? Tidal waves, or little bitty shiny waves? As in a millpond.”

“Well, no. Some other kind of waves. I think. Oppression, people of color….”

You would find that she knew as much as the bushman. She knows the same amount about her watch, refrigerator, automobile, microwave oven, and stereo. They are, to her, low-hanging fruit, or what money is to Democrats: something that is just there.

All of these things, note, are products of what such as Steinem call “male linear thinking.” (It used to be called “thinking,” until people noticed the albedo and steroid chemistry of those who usually did it.)

Here we come to part of the reason for their bad behavior: These folk are genuinely ignorant of things around them. To Ms. T-L, for example, a computer is a commodity, like soap. It’s just there, has buttons, usually works.

And she is right. A computer is a commodity. But she has no idea why it is a commodity, or that this too is miraculous. She doesn’t know, or avoids reflecting, that her laptop rests on an towering edifice of physics, chemistry, and electronics, of which she is blankly innocent, resting on mathematics and theory also elaborated by tens of thousands of—yep—white males whose books she has never heard of.

To the white male (ok, slightly geeky) mind, a computer is something quite different. It is a stack of intricately interlocking abstractions. At the bottom (somewhat arbitrarily) you find solid-state physics with its band theory and lattices and dopants and a lot of formidable physical chemistry; a level higher you have transistors, address buses, interrupt hierarchies and row latches; next, DMA and video controllers and file-allocation tables; then software, optimizing compilers and top-down programming.

These for the most part are not easy ideas. When they are easy, as programming is, the male response is to write programs so complex that they have to think about them in teams. Overwhelmingly these things arose from…white males, mostly European.

Other men (white, European, and mostly dead) of phenomenal brilliance developed the underlying math and theory: Gauss, Newton and Leibniz, LaGrange, Shannon, Hamilton, Galois, perhaps Minsky if you think finite automata actually have anything to do with computers, and Turing, none of whom Ms. T-L has heard of either.

Given that she probably couldn’t solve a quadratic if you gave her a band saw and a large staff, she can’t understand what it is that she doesn’t understand. Nor, one may suspect, can Al Sharpton, nor those goofy alleged teachers who are always nattering on about how little boys need to be drugged.

But let me approach the matter from another angle. I propose (again trying to be helpful) that those who don’t like white males try spending a week without the things that white males have foolishly provided for them, so that they can complain in comfort.

Ms. T-L could begin by taking her fillings out. (Dentistry is not low-tech. Try making a drill burr spin at 350,000 rpm or whatever the current figure is.) Then they could denude herself, preferably after warning bystanders, since everything she wears was made on machines designed by evil white males, using metallurgy and engineering demonically invented by other evil white males. Next she could toss everything electrical and mechanical. She would soon find herself sleeping in a hollow log and eating bugs.

Which would be marvelous. I suggest January. In Fairbanks.

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
and yes Rosie DiManno SUCKS.

God she makes me want to puke. If her head was any further up her ass she could lick her own lungs.

judge wopner

TRIBE Member
ha! i love this thred.

the toronto star is dangerous because its the most popular paper that overwhelmingly supports the most popular policitcal party,
and falsely presents itself as the champion of human rights and liberalism,

when its just a very popular left winged piece of garbage with a good sports section.

----------

they get all up in arms about the french banning head scarfes, but say fuck all about the muslim nations that make everybody wear one whether they like it or not.

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by judge wopner
ha! i love this thred.

the toronto star is dangerous because its the most popular paper that overwhelmingly supports the most popular policitcal party,
and falsely presents itself as the champion of human rights and liberalism,

when its just a very popular left winged piece of garbage with a good sports section.

----------

they get all up in arms about the french banning head scarfes, but say fuck all about the muslim nations that make everybody wear one whether they like it or not.

I don't think it's that bad, I think the Post is the worst offender of overall imbalanced reporting. You can clearly see that by even simply monitoring the headlines of each for a short period of time. Usually the Star & the Globe will have consistently similar headlines, while the Post will be the odd man out with headlines that clearly indicate a different agenda.

It’s true the Star is more left leaning than the other two, but definitely not as left as the Post is Right.

About your last comment, there was a thread already on it..

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
They're special reports tend to be better than there daily drival. Unfortunately the Star has a bad habit of just running the wire and not doing the real journalism I'd expect.

The Globe I find to be a bit better, However I find more of its articles to be of no interest to me.

But the reality is I read online for the most part, in general I take in more from the bbc.

swilly

TRIBE Member
Toronto Star
Feb. 6, 2004. 01:00 AM
by Carol Brown

We celebrate Black History Month because in the "white" world the word "black" seems to conjure up images of violence, and instils fear.

----------------------------

this why i hate the toronto star.

where is this white world she speaks of?
and who says all these white people belong to some supposed world where they collectively believe black people are bad?

black or white or brown or what ever that was the stupidest editorial ive read,
thanks again to the toronto star.

you should ask an african north american and they will tell you where the white world is.
i can tell you right now where it is as well
Its every where !!!!!!!!!!!!western society and north america is dominated by white men and thier value systems. with the exception of japan all of the west is like this. Not that this is a wrong thing but it just represents who owns the capital and runs the government. The situaiton is quite differnt in africa to be sure. However, even there issues of imperilism are in thier society and thier values
swilly

judge wopner

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: why i hate the toronto star

Originally posted by swilly
you should ask an african north american and they will tell you where the white world is. swilly

i could care less what any black brown or white whatever person thinks where a white world is.

if youre ignorant enough to generalize an entire shade of people you have arbitrailiy decided to group together and refer to as white, and presume they belong to some collective brotherhood,
they you are clueless and rascist.
youre piling a presumption on to millions of people, assuming they view black as bad.

ask the millions of white people who are dirt poor in the states if their white skin has brought them the riches and affluence the left winged types seem to believe it has all these years??

lets face it, its not white people who own most of the capital in north america, its pepole from the UK who came over a long time ago.

i dont see many croation or turkish billionares running around in northamerica, but they are white too.... they must share somehow in this wealth as people of similar skin are so loaded and they collectively decied to believe black is bad....

the whole white vs. black is so over generalized it trivialized true race relations....

swilly

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: Re: why i hate the toronto star

youre pilling

i fail to see how my recreational habits affect this conversation.

However pilling is also the secret word for today

swilly

AdRiaN

TRIBE Member
i dont see many croation or turkish billionares running around in northamerica
That's because billionaires have personal chauffeurs and private jets to get around. :p

catilyst

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: why i hate the toronto star

Originally posted by swilly
you should ask an african north american and they will tell you where the white world is.
i can tell you right now where it is as well

Totally

It sounds like some people are saying the Star should be more objective.

So should we.. As far as white society goes maybe its hard for some of you to be as objective as we want others to be. Most here live in Toronto, one of if not THE worlds most diverse cities. While there are major race related problems here its still more of an open society than any other places I've been to.

We are not the ones to notice the negative brunt of society. To say theres no such thing as a white world is simply ignorant and naive.

judge wopner

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: Re: why i hate the toronto star

Originally posted by catilyst

To say theres no such thing as a white world is simply ignorant and naive.

to deny that white people per se have a much larger share of wealth and power in northamerica would be as you say ignorant and naive.

but to suggest some white brotherhood that exists constituting a world of sorts, separate from all others overgeneralizes.

its like going over the jamacian cultural center and asking why not just combine it with the Guyaneese cultural centre because youre all black anyway...

grand references to "white" basically lump a large population together, many of whom do not share in the enourmous wealth that being white seems to inherently suggest.

so making statements about a white world means what in north america? a bunch of anglo-saxons more likely. why not be more specific as opposed to showing your lack of knowledge of different cultures by just lumping people together...
its oversimplistic to just see things as white vs. black. there is so much grey in between.