1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Why HTML5 is going to smoke Flash

Discussion in 'Technology' started by rawd, Apr 4, 2010.

1. rawd

rawd TRIBE Member

Quake II GWT Port

The Quake II GWT port brings the 3d gaming experience of Quake II to the browser.

In the port, we use WebGL, the Canvas API, HTML 5 <audio> elements, the local storage API, and WebSockets to demonstrate the possibilities of pure web applications in modern browsers such as Safari and Chrome.

The port is based on the Jake2 project, compiled to Javascript using the Google Web Toolkit (GWT). Jake 2 is a Java port of the original Quake II source code, which was open sourced by id software.

Where's the public demo link?

We are as yet unable to provide a public demo link. The Quake II code is GPL licensed, but the demo resources (textures, models, sounds, et al) are not, so we cannot simply upload them to a server. We are pursuing legitimate avenues to do so, though -- stay tuned.

2. xtcfreak

xtcfreak TRIBE Member

Ain't that some shit.

Jay

3. glych t.anomaly

glych t.anomaly TRIBE Member

its pretty crazy awesome.

i was also really impressed by them being able to run CRISIS on a ipad, with the game being rendered on the cloud servers and then being sent to the ipad, so it takes a ridiculously lower amount of CPU&GPU processing.

things is getting crazy :)

[jai]

4. unique2100

unique2100 TRIBE Promoter

HTML > Flash. ie Mac and P.C.

5. mrtunes

mrtunes TRIBE Member

i am sure that took many lines of code to write, to the point where you can't look at that one project and think html5 is going to put that big a dent in flash for interactive media.

for starters all the best html5 features haven't even made their way into firefox yet. if you have flash installed the content plays the same on all browsers. with html5 that's not the case.

i am all for html5 because it will give us some options that are not tied to adobe, but on the other hand there are still many browser incompatibilities. i would like to wish that will go away but i doubt it.