• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Why does most of North America not care about soccer?

kuba

TRIBE Member
All kidding aside, the MLS is not a top-four league.

The European championships were just won, and nobody really gives a shit.

is it:

1. we're too obsessed with high-scoring games, or regular-scoring games that we can't suffer through a 2-1 game?
2. we can't appreciate the tactical nature of soccer, because it's about finesse and strength, in comparison to american football, which is both those AND ALSO brute force?
3. it moves too slow?
4. the times of the games hurt our ability to watch them? they aren't televised often enough? they are baried in the highlights, IF AT ALL?

Tell me your thoughts. personally for me it's a combo of all four- I wasn't raised to watch/appreciate soccer, so I only care for it when it's on the world stage. But surely the sport can gain traction in North America, no? Is it the climate?

WHAT THE FUCK!?

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

Lurker

TRIBE Member
There's already a "football" here, geez!

And please, keep quality soccer/football a secret from the Americans, they'll ruin it :p

They'll want to put a little glowing orb on the teevee so that you can follow it eaiser.

Last edited:

Muad'ib

Well-Known TRIBEr
i think it has to do with all the whiney sissy boys that play soccer. ryan smyth loses three teeth and stays in the game, soccer players get tripped and writhe around in pain like they were just shot with a taser.

JEMZ

TRIBE Member
Muad'ib said:
i think it has to do with all the whiney sissy boys that play soccer. ryan smyth loses three teeth and stays in the game, soccer players get tripped and writhe around in pain like they were just shot with a taser.

As a soccer fan, this has always been my assumption.

But I think people are conditioned in N America to think it is a game of no skill, boring, how can they not score with a net that big etc. But my opinion is that is 3 billion people are going to watch the world cup there has to be something more to it than people in North America suppose. Most people here have never played really top quality either and therefore cannot appreciate the talent needed, which is the same arguement as to why deep south Amercians have trouble appreciating hockey IMHO.

-Mercury-

TRIBE Member
soccer doesn't get support over here from the major networks because it's not a sport that caters to commercial interests over the sport itself, like the top-four leagues do here in NA.
TV stations are all about selling ad revenue, not putting things on TV that people want to see.
so,
no commercials = little money to be made by networks = little soccer on TV

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

rod_g

TRIBE Member
Not enough statistics -> Less ways to gamble -> No American interest

and i'm glad ;)

they keep trying to Starbuck futbol, maybe they will one day who knows

JEMZ

TRIBE Member
Many years ago someone told me soccer would never be big in the U.S because you can't put a point spread on it.

-Rudebwoy_Chin-

TRIBE Member
The game yesterday between arsenal and barcelona was crazy. what a turn of events at the end. The last goal was kind of soft, but pretty exciting stuff. I didn't like the excessive celebration by Barcelona on their second goal. I think it would have been great if Arsenal came back and scored, a little to early to celebrate i thought.

I don't watch a ton of soccer, but I'm still impressed that Henry still plays at such a high level. Super excited for the world cup.

Muad'ib

Well-Known TRIBEr
JEMZ said:
As a soccer fan, this has always been my assumption.

But I think people are conditioned in N America to think it is a game of no skill, boring, how can they not score with a net that big etc. But my opinion is that is 3 billion people are going to watch the world cup there has to be something more to it than people in North America suppose. Most people here have never played really top quality either and therefore cannot appreciate the talent needed, which is the same arguement as to why deep south Amercians have trouble appreciating hockey IMHO.

not saying i disagree with you but my point was more about the way soccer is played and by whom. hockey fans and american football fans are taught to appreciate toughness and grit, we want to see our players play injured and suck up pain. it is hard to watch a soccer player get tripped and then start rolling around on the ground feigning an injury. i'm sorry, i don't care how fast you run, if you get tripped and roll onto the grass it can't hurt that much, if it does, wipe your tears away and continue playing.

steve staios of the oilers took a puck to the face and didn't miss a shift, A FUCKING puck to the face, he got up, shook out the cobwebs and got off the ice. it is hard to respect the toughness it takes to play soccer when they get pushed ever so slightly and then roll around on the ground attempting to look hurt.

mitsuko souma

TRIBE Member
kuba said:
I disagree, and so would the 40 000 other Greeks I was drinking with on the Danforth that day.
Back me up here, Lysistrata

JEMZ

TRIBE Member
Muad'ib said:
not saying i disagree with you but my point was more about the way soccer is played and by whom. hockey fans and american football fans are taught to appreciate toughness and grit, we want to see our players play injured and suck up pain. it is hard to watch a soccer player get tripped and then start rolling around on the ground feigning an injury. i'm sorry, i don't care how fast you run, if you get tripped and roll onto the grass it can't hurt that much, if it does, wipe your tears away and continue playing.

steve staios of the oilers took a puck to the face and didn't miss a shift, A FUCKING puck to the face, he got up, shook out the cobwebs and got off the ice. it is hard to respect the toughness it takes to play soccer when they get pushed ever so slightly and then roll around on the ground attempting to look hurt.

I realize by how I wrote my comment that it didn't look like it but by me saying "As a soccer fan, this has always been my assumption" I was agreeing with your point and then my following paragraph was another opinion in of itself. I think you are bang on, it is the imberlishers that ruin it.

Mind you the types of knee and ankle injuries that happen in soccer can be extremely diffcult to deal with. I have been hit by punches, pitches, pucks, sticks, etc and dealt with it, but nothing has debilitated and hurt me more than my knee injury. I have never actually ever fully recovered.

However, I also don't sweat soccer players being called pansies too much coming from 300 pound beer swillin' nascar and pigskin fatties. 90 minutes up and down a pitch will seperate the men from ther boys real quickly.

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
kuba said:

Possible reasons...

- No good teams in North America. Who are we gonna cheer for at the world cup? Not Canada that's for sure.

- We don't live in Europe. Why should we expect Canadians to care about the Euro Championships any more than Europeans care about the Stanley Cup Playoffs?

A large part of the reason that *I* don't watch much soccer is that there aren't any teams that I identify with. The only Euro teams that I can kinda cheer for are the Dutch because that's where my dad is from, but I don't have the same connection to the team as say... people from Holland.

If you ask most Canadians who their favourite team is, you can safely assume that it's whatever country their parents came from and be right most of the time. Look at who the biggest soccer fans are - older immigrants from nations where soccer is already popular, usually first-generation immigrants too. As a result, it would be hard to get a fan base behind a Canadian National team because all of the biggest fans in the country already have a "home" team of their own.

Soccer is never gonna get big in Canada just by being big in Europe. In order for it to get big here, we need to have local teams and home made stars to build interest among casual fans.

2canplay

TRIBE Member
-Mercury- said:
soccer doesn't get support over here from the major networks because it's not a sport that caters to commercial interests over the sport itself, like the top-four leagues do here in NA.
TV stations are all about selling ad revenue, not putting things on TV that people want to see.
so,
no commercials = little money to be made by networks = little soccer on TV

Werd.

F1? Same issue. There is no money in it.

R4V4G3D_SKU11S

TRIBE Member
I would imagine it has to do with the long history of the sports that happened to flourish in NA. Soccers popularity here would have been decided ages ago when the 4 big NA sports broke away from the pack and became the heavy hitters. Since soccer is not in that elite group, it doesn't get the media coverage and thus the general interest that the big 4 get.

Prickly Pete

TRIBE Member
Subsonic Chronic said:
we need to have local teams and home made stars to build interest among casual fans.

Nail on the head. You need home grown stars with local teams.

Then comes your sponshorship, your TV revenue, etc. Canada/US love to cheer for their own. The reason why soccer has started to become a bit more popular in the US is due to stars like Freddie Adu.

Toronto FC will help with soccer in Canada. It gives a home soccer team to cheer for and will encourage money and development locally for soccer. MLS and Toronto FC will crave a home grown star.

The debate then comes, form a national team standpoint, does it help for your players to play in the English Permiership against better talent or for them to stay at home and play in a lesser league but boost fan base?

I'd say you take a hit on the level of competition to build a big fan base and secure more money for the support.

silver1

TRIBE Member
Subsonic Chronic said:
we need to have local teams and home made stars to build interest among casual fans.

Don't forget compelling storylines and the ability to cut good promos! ;)

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
um, cause it is a long ass game of keep away, even baseball is more entertaining, but i would rather watch ants abscond with a piece of food than watch either

JEMZ

TRIBE Member
^^^^^

That might well say it all right there. Again 3 billion people are wrong and you are right :)

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
JEMZ said:
^^^^^

That might well say it all right there. Again 3 billion people are wrong and you are right :)
i could give a fuckin rats ass about them 3 billion ppl who 85% still think micheal jackson is the shit have to say

im just not a fan of soccer, if you like it good on ya, i just expressed why i dont like it

REMI XO

TRIBE Member
Liquidity said:
my guess is that interest in basketball in toronto went up dramatically when the raptors had their first season.

Yes you are correct, and it grew even bigger once they started winning (early Vinsanity era).

What Toronto FC really needs is regular TV airplay. And it shouldnt be a problem seeing as they most likely play Saturday Afternoons/Wed. evenings. They play 32 games a season and with

Sportsnet
TSN
Gol TV Canada
Fox Sports World Canada

We hope they can work out a TV deal.
If they don't? Only then would I be worried about the Franchise lasting Long Term.

TV = Credibility...

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
potugese and italians with no hockey = ratings...then the cement truck comes by, and goodbye ratings....BWAHAHAHAHAHA

it really is hard channeling 3 diff ppls beligerence, i feel like me head is gonna explode, and i cant wait for the fall out from this post....GO TEAM FUCK YOU ALL!!!