• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Why do we settle for the bundled software?

JayBrain

TRIBE Member
Like seriously...

everyone uses this:

- windows media player
- outlook express
- Explorer
- MSN Messenger

No wonder Microsoft is the huge monster they have bocome.. as they have the power to dominate the online software industry

Of course I'll use windows XP, but that's all I'm going to give to microsoft

in rebel, I've decided to run the following apps instead of the MS software ..

Mozilla Thunderbird (Mail)
Mozilla Firebird (Web)
Trillian (IM)
WinAmp 5.01 / iTunes

I think everyone should look into alternative software, and support the inovative software design companies so they can have a chance and grow, and make some money...

.. and by doing this, these guys can hire all us computer programmers that are out of work

lol.. I went to school for computer programmer.. yeah.. well.. ugm. still no high paying job that I was promissed.

Stop Bill C-10

The Tesseract

TRIBE Member
I use WinXP build 2600 with Aston Shell.
So i don't have to look at Windows' ooogliness.

I also built my comp, so i didn't get any crappy free software, outside of the driver disks and shit.

I should convert to Mozilla Thunderbird for mail.

ArekTripleSL

TRIBE Member
ill never use outlook express...

but definitely explorer and media player, they're optimized for windowsxp so u know they will run very smoothly

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

oddmyth

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ArekTripleSL
but definitely explorer and media player, they're optimized for windowsxp so u know they will run very smoothly

Media player is the biggest piece of sh*t out there, even the programmers who created it use winamp.

deep

TRIBE Member
no bundled M$ software here

media player = media player classic

audio = foobar2000

web = firebird

I'll replace outlook with thunderbird once it matures

mattt416

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by JayBrain
Like seriously...

everyone uses this:

- windows media player
- outlook express
- Explorer
- MSN Messenger

No wonder Microsoft is the huge monster they have bocome.. as they have the power to dominate the online software industry

Of course I'll use windows XP, but that's all I'm going to give to microsoft

in rebel, I've decided to run the following apps instead of the MS software ..

Mozilla Thunderbird (Mail)
Mozilla Firebird (Web)
Trillian (IM)
WinAmp 5.01 / iTunes

I think everyone should look into alternative software, and support the inovative software design companies so they can have a chance and grow, and make some money...

.. and by doing this, these guys can hire all us computer programmers that are out of work

lol.. I went to school for computer programmer.. yeah.. well.. ugm. still no high paying job that I was promissed.

are you writing any open source software then? i mean, you don't need to get HIRED to do that. it'd look great on your resume, help keep your skills up while you're not working, and you'd give back to the community. something to think about, if you've got the skills.

seeker

TRIBE Member
I'm using Thunderbird on my linux box. For basic stuff, it seems fully functional. By basic I mean POP/email/address book. The stuff that most users probably take advantage of as far as Outlook Express is concerned.

~atp~

TRIBE Member
Messenging Stuff:
For my messenger needs I use GAIM and/or Miranda (check em out guys/gals, great software)

Web stuff:

Firebird. Done.

Email:

I *was* using ximian's evolution on Linux, but switched to thunderbird.

deep, thunderbird is quite stable. It supports multiple SMTP servers (of course), an "adaptive" spam filter (it's working quite well for me now and I get about 50 spam a day on one of my accounts).

Thunderbird also supports POP3 (obviously), IMAP (which is what I use), GPG or PGP and enigmail and great message filtering. Also, I've never had thunderbird crash on me.

And Balzz, I poo on MAPI. Microsoft can suck my [insert witty geek pun here]. :D
(No, thunderbird doesn't use MAPI).

Media

Foobar2000 (thanks deep).

Most of the software I use is open-source. I also find that most of it is superior to many of the proprietary/commercial products available. Open-source is a great proof of concept and I encourage it all the way.

Check out other open-source projects at http://www.sourceforge.net/

:)

deep

TRIBE Member
atp - i use a third party email provider so spam isn't really an issue for me...i'll give thunderbird a shot though if you say it's stable.

quick question (obvious rtfm variety) : where are the messages / contacts stored? in a subdirectory created under the thunderbird directory, or in a seperate directory elsewhere (i.e. in local settings?)

~atp~

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by deep
atp - i use a third party email provider so spam isn't really an issue for me...i'll give thunderbird a shot though if you say it's stable.

quick question (obvious rtfm variety) : where are the messages / contacts stored? in a subdirectory created under the thunderbird directory, or in a seperate directory elsewhere (i.e. in local settings?)

It's reasonably stable. I use it heavily, and no crashes yet. *crosses fingers*

As for contacts there's two choices:

1) Read them from a specified LDAP server (which is what I do, it's great cuz I can access it remotely).

2) Store them locally in your user preferences/config directory as a database (MAB file). You can import/export, including importing from outlook/eudora. :)

I wouldn't say that the address book is *awesome*, but it's functional and sufficient.

What's best about thunderbird is that it is, like Firebird, based on extensions...so as thunderbird matures, more extensions and thus more functionality becomes available to it.

green_souljah

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by oddmyth
Media player is the biggest piece of sh*t out there, even the programmers who created it use winamp.

yes

Winamp does it all, I think thats the only player I have ever used for MP3's, and the latest one works well for video and movie clips as well.

:)

I just had me a little South Park sunday hangover marathon on my new Winamp 5 player.

~atp~

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Hi i'm God
Does Thunderbird have a Newsgroup reader? Yenc stuff?

Yah, you can create a newsgroup account...I'm not sure how extensive it is.

It doesn't hurt to download and give it a shot though...the install is all self-contained under a /thunderbird directory, so it's easy to "uninstall". ;)