• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Why do police funerals have to be so over the top?

Vincent Vega

TRIBE Member
Police put there lives on the line every single day. No officer ever truly knows if they will make it home that night....

Please Jeff. While this is certainly true for some members of the force (drug/gangs, OC, etc), it is also a vastly overstated and tired mantra.

Do fraud squad detectives really fear making it home any night? What about Marine Unit? Court Services? Parking Enforcement, etc? Do they really not truly know if they will make it home that night? Come on man.

First of all, if that were true we'd be discussing a lot more than 2 on-the-job deaths in 10 years.

Secondly, much of that risk is mitigated by the incredible layers of protection every cop nowadays seems to enjoy; from near-military levels of body protection, kevlar vests, shields, Glocks.....not to mention the intangible layers such as political protection, a powerful union and great lawyers.

And third, it's not like police are the only people who face on-the-job risk. Everyday I see construction workers, powerline technicians, window cleaners and taxi drivers who can die at work also. And sometimes they do. Without the glory.

I know that policing is not an easy job in most cases. I know also that there are definite risks involved, and that we should be grateful for their good work.

But please let's stop mythologizing the police, especially on the rare occasion that one is killed in the line of duty.

Last edited:
Alex D. from TRIBE on Utility Room

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
Over the top? Think outrageous, taxpayer-funded propoganda. It's the superlative of the cop-mentality "we're a separate class than the populace: the controlling class". In every interaction I've had with cops, positive or negative, that attitude is always present: that they are somehow above or outside of the ranks of the proletariat.

Statistics show that their job is quite a bit safer than plenty of jobs in the private sector. This has already been mentioned. But because they carry a gun and have a chip on their shoulder, they somehow forget that they are still just public servants.

What about when Glyn Berry, Canadian Diplomat, was killed in Afghanistan? No pageantry at all there. Why not, considering plently of diplomats are exposing not only themselves but their entire family to constant threats? Maybe it's because they're not power happy, image-mongering types with a penchant for entitlement.

-jM
A&D

acheron

TRIBE Member
Nothing exceptional about this particular cop funeral at all - all cop funerals are like this. We hire these people to protect us and uphold our laws. It is a truly thankless profession and no one feels that lack of respect more than the cops themselves. If getting killed is part of the job and not deserving of our recognition then people who feel that way are part of why cop funerals are as large as they are. The last Toronto cop to die was Laura Ellis and there were more than 10,000 cops at her funeral as well- that was 8 years ago and unrelated to the G20. Of course these events are PR situations for the cops - there is a desire to display solidarity within the ranks when the Force is attacked. We ask them to save us from harm and when when they go down 'just doing their job', if they didn't do this for themselves, it's pretty obvious we wouldn't do it for them.

Let them have their funeral- they're all doing it on their own time, it's a very small inconvenience to the rest of us when you think about it, given how rare an event it is. Just be glad we don't live in a city where cops are attacked regularly.

workdowntown

TRIBE Member
It is a truly thankless profession

Bullshit. See any topic RE: police brutality and the amount of apologists and bootlickers who fall over themselves in their rush to huff the dong of authority.

A tough job? No doubt. Thankless though? Hardly.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

MissBlu

TRIBE Member
i agree with acheron, it is a thankless job.
when was the last time that anyone thanked a police officer? while some are not in the front lines, many are, and most of the time they just get shit on.

many of the police (and fire fighters) that were there today were off duty and paying their respects.

call it whatever you want, regardless the officer died while doing his job to protect you, the general public.

agentRC4

TRIBE Member
Nothing exceptional about this particular cop funeral at all - all cop funerals are like this. We hire these people to protect us and uphold our laws. It is a truly thankless profession and no one feels that lack of respect more than the cops themselves. If getting killed is part of the job and not deserving of our recognition then people who feel that way are part of why cop funerals are as large as they are. The last Toronto cop to die was Laura Ellis and there were more than 10,000 cops at her funeral as well- that was 8 years ago and unrelated to the G20. Of course these events are PR situations for the cops - there is a desire to display solidarity within the ranks when the Force is attacked. We ask them to save us from harm and when when they go down 'just doing their job', if they didn't do this for themselves, it's pretty obvious we wouldn't do it for them.

Let them have their funeral- they're all doing it on their own time, it's a very small inconvenience to the rest of us when you think about it, given how rare an event it is. Just be glad we don't live in a city where cops are attacked regularly.

Very well said.

LeoGirl

TRIBE Member
Actually, I thanked the last cop who gave me a ticket.

I also thanked the last cop to let me off for having expired stickers.

And, I also thanked the mounted officer who stopped to share her horses baseball card and answered all kinds of questions from my kid.

Also, this is one cop in the last 9 years. I'm not about to try and dig up news over the last 9 years, but I betcha those numbers aren't so low in other industries which are also dangerous. Like construction, for example.

Dialog

TRIBE Member
many of the police (and fire fighters) that were there today were off duty and paying their respects.

This is what I wanted to know; is the time off for the pageantry (I guess there's my bias, but still) coming out of vacation time, or is there Police Union Provisions for paid time off for things like this?

KodiaK

TRIBE Member
Police put there lives on the line every single day. No officer ever truly knows if they will make it home that night. Especially Toronto Police. My brother in law is on the Drug Squad with the OPP and has been shot at while trying to get drugs off the street and protect the public masses from various sorts of criminals.

ive been shot at while working security in the city. no joke.

solacevip

TRIBE Promoter

I like this. And I thank the cops for having a safe city lie Toronto to live in.

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
also, some of the ppl my mother had over last night were friends with the sleepy ttc ticket guy

they went on to say he was a good guy and didnt deserve the attention he got for sleeping on the job and yada yada yada, but they had no defense against the fact it goes on everyday and they get paid crazy money to take tickets and falling asleep is simply inexcusable when taken in the context that shit like that happens day in and day out on a publicly funded transit system that continually bleats about no money

but he was a good guy........

so say all the mothers of the guys who end up in the revolving door of our justice system for shooting deaths

everyone is a great guy when they are dead

mudbunny

TRIBE Member
I dont like how police are compared to soldiers. They are not military yet they are described in military terms. The pagentry of the funeral is false and is disproportionate to the events surrounding this officers death.

DJ Vuvu Zela

TRIBE Member
America's Most Dangerous Jobs

it's an interesting list. To compare many of the occupations that are more dangerous than law enforcement (yet still crucial to our way of life) and yet most get paid much less is eye-opening

I feel bad for the officer & his family. I agree he should be honored, but this was just so over the top and manufactured it almost becomes divisive to their public image.

kuba

TRIBE Member
Spot on as usual vega.

Construction workers have about a 5x higher death rate. THEY worry if they will cone home. Cab drivers can die at the hands if customers or traffic. Cops are well protected and the numbers say it all. - two deaths in ten years. Oooooh scarry.

I did not want to watch this spectacle because it has nothing or very little to do with the dead guy and all to do with a show of public force and strength in numbers.

Please Jeff. While this is certainly true for some members of the force (drug/gangs, OC, etc), it is also a vastly overstated and tired mantra.

Do fraud squad detectives really fear making it home any night? What about Marine Unit? Court Services? Parking Enforcement, etc? Do they really not truly know if they will make it home that night? Come on man.

First of all, if that were true we'd be discussing a lot more than 2 on-the-job deaths in 10 years.

Secondly, much of that risk is mitigated by the incredible layers of protection every cop nowadays seems to enjoy; from near-military levels of body protection, kevlar vests, shields, Glocks.....not to mention the intangible layers such as political protection, a powerful union and great lawyers.

And third, it's not like police are the only people who face on-the-job risk. Everyday I see construction workers, powerline technicians, window cleaners and taxi drivers who can die at work also. And sometimes they do. Without the glory.

I know that policing is not an easy job in most cases. I know also that there are definite risks involved, and that we should be grateful for their good work.

But please let's stop mythologizing the police, especially on the rare occasion that one is killed in the line of duty.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
To remind us who's in charge.

I think, on the very deepest level, this is the truth of the matter. ^

The death of a policeman in the line of duty, while tragic and unfortunate, does not require a full blown state funeral - which is what this is - minus the gun carriage and visiting heads of state.

It sure would have been nice for even one percent of those guys to stand up and name their fellow officers who removed their name tags and beat innocent Canadian citizens senseless during the G20. Now that most definitely would be honor.

PAUZE

TRIBE Promoter
Officers death by snowplow, instant shutdown of Toronto.

Soldier killed fighting for his country, nothing but his name reported in the news and Don Cherry mentioning him on HNIC.

LeoGirl

TRIBE Member
Calgary? Why are cops coming from Calgary? I hope their provincial gov't paid for it and not ours.

*edit: LOL @ them being considered 'on duty'. Get those riot suits out.

Last edited:

Fillmore

TRIBE Member

Well said.

janiecakes

TRIBE Member
why and how would we pay police who aren't on our payroll? police came from all over canada and some from the U.S. as well i believe.

rawd

TRIBE Member
Officers death by snowplow, instant shutdown of Toronto.

You know this story is on quite a few WTF news sections in countries around the globe.

I put this up there at the same level as the dude who got his dick stuck in his patio table.