• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Why do people hoard cats?

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
They just took a pile of cats away from a Beech Ave hoarder again after they removed 60 cats from her house a few months ago. To me, cat hoarding seems very weird. Cats are OK I guess (not a huge fan of cats really), but even cat lovers I know would never hoard a huge amount of them.

Why don't people hoard dogs? It only seems to be cats that are hoard-able. This seems very strange to me.

acheron

TRIBE Member
people do hoard dogs. hunting packs. but generally no. because dogs team up and become a seething mass of teeth and tails and paws... When we toured the south of France we visited a Chateau that still had its original pack on site - or at least, descendents of the original. 50 hounds all barking and jumping around in their pen, all of them cousins.

Domesticated cats on the other hand are resolutely individual animals. You can have 50 of them but the only real problem is keeping up with the mess they create.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
There was an old guy on Knox Ave near where I lived who hoarded cats, also raccoons. The entire second level of his house was filled with cats and raccoons. Before his family and/or somebody sent him away and sold his home out from under him for huge Leslieville prices, I used to see him walking around his house with dishes of food to feed the cats and raccoons. He always looked scruffy and dirty but seemed happy enough, but clearly he wasn't all there.

To this day, raccoons and cats still hang around the house, even though the owners completely gutted and renovated it and built a huge wall around it to keep out the cats and raccoons (they just climb over it).

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
People with deep emotional baggage. They seek non-judgmental love that they were missing from a traumatic point in their lives. Lots of it.