• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Why are modern male superheroes so emasculated?

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I just watched the latest episode of the FLASH and it struck me that it was like an episode of The Young and the Restless, played entirely by women and teenage girls, except perhaps with some special effects thrown in.

Enough with this unrequited love shit. That Barry Allen needs some balls, a slap, and less eyebrow waxing if you ask me.

Why are these modern superhero dudes such wimpy ass motherfuckers when it comes to women? Sure they can move so fast they break the sound barrier, shoot 14 arrows a second, or burst into flames at will, but they are all under the heels of the women in their lives. They live for all eternity in the friend zone. The women they are in love with never give them the time of day for the most part. They are completely emasculated by these women and the angst these superhero boys portray is so over the top these shows are pretty much comedy nowadays.

Who is writing these shows? Metrosexuals? Women? WTF?

I am no fan boy, but I did read my share of comics as a kid and I remember that back then, male superheroes, while conflicted by whatever life, family or work circumstance, were at least men. What the fuck happened to them?

RumRogerz

TRIBE Member
Think about it man. These are nerd writers who went to school who have probably never seen a naked woman until college. They have no idea how to write romance to save their lives, so they just subscribe to the old hollywood cliches that never work in real life, because they don't know how to deal with the ladies.

skin deep

TRIBE Member
I just watched the latest episode of the FLASH and it struck me that it was like an episode of The Young and the Restless, played entirely by women and teenage girls, except perhaps with some special effects thrown in.

Enough with this unrequited love shit. That Barry Allen needs some balls, a slap, and less eyebrow waxing if you ask me.

Why are these modern superhero dudes such wimpy ass motherfuckers when it comes to women? Sure they can move so fast they break the sound barrier, shoot 14 arrows a second, or burst into flames at will, but they are all under the heels of the women in their lives. They live for all eternity in the friend zone. The women they are in love with never give them the time of day for the most part. They are completely emasculated by these women and the angst these superhero boys portray is so over the top these shows are pretty much comedy nowadays.

Who is writing these shows? Metrosexuals? Women? WTF?

I am no fan boy, but I did read my share of comics as a kid and I remember that back then, male superheroes, while conflicted by whatever life, family or work circumstance, were at least men. What the fuck happened to them?
I truly never thought people actually used the term "friend zone" other than in an ironic sense, this post reads like a strange MRA rant, it has all of the hot button terms and phrases:

Wimpy - check
Metrosexual - check
Emasculated - check
"Friend zone" - check
"Under the heels of women" - check
Women not giving "nice guys" the time of day - check
"Men used to be men" - check
Everybody acts like a woman or a teenage girl - check

Maybe Julien Blanc will be kind enough and drop by this thread to offer his enlightened opinion ... wow.

It's a show on CW, not sure why you were expecting a gritty drama ...

Ho||yw0oD

TRIBE Member
Hmm, it may be a reflection of how society's conceptualization of manhood has evolved. Just because a guy waxes his eyebrows doesn't mean he can't kick your ass.

Beings

TRIBE Member
Hmm, it may be a reflection of how society's conceptualization of manhood has evolved. Just because a guy waxes his eyebrows doesn't mean he can't kick your ass.
Nor can he ask out a girl.

I remember at university, at pub nights, first year dudes were having their friends give notes with their numbers to girls they like. FFS. They need to put less hormones in milk, and more lines of blow with beer.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

praktik

TRIBE Member
alexd is just getting crotchety in his old age - which is why more and more thread titles look like Sun News headlines

Bass-Invader

TRIBE Member
wouldn't be much of an interesting storyline if they followed the dating themes associated with their age.

THIS ISSUE: Flash takes his girl to a wine and cheese charity event. Takes her home to their shared condo. Fails to perform.

praktik

TRIBE Member
NEXT ISSUE: household chores become an issue of debate as Flash is reminded: "Why don't you use your super power and clean this room in a second when it takes me 45 mins to make the kitchen look good??"

Bass-Invader

TRIBE Member
You know, I suppose that relative to his time frame, he still has to suffer the same amount of work as it would take for a regular person to do it - so it would still be a pain in the ass.

praktik

TRIBE Member
There you go - more of "woman not having the empathy to understand things from HIS perspective"... amirite???

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Littlest Hobo

TRIBE Member
The Flash is a good show, better than Arrow, but Barry Allen is the fastest bitch alive. Him being in love with his defacto step-sister is creepy. The 'oh this is an MRA thing' is the last refuge of girly-men and their enablers. Like in the latest Bill Burr comedy, when the dollar crashes, are you going to rely on Mr. Sensitive or a manly-man :D.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Writers are even doing it with Gotham! Cat already has more balls than little Bruce Wayne for fucks sake! If it wasn't for the presence of a reasonably strong Alfred, Bruce would have already run off and joined a convent.

Modern superheros have lost their masculinity. I bet in some university, somewhere, someone has already written a doctoral thesis on this very subject.

Wimpy male superhero syndrome is probably symbolic of the larger societal problems men are facing these days. And "its just a crappy show on CW" is no excuse for it either. For thousand of years, people have used the storytelling of their day, whether it was cave paintings, griot songs around a fire, dancing, or poetry to tell learning stories, fables, and symbolic myths to transfer deep and important leanings from one generation of male to the next. Today's medium happens to be television and it has enormous potential for storytelling, but to see it being used to feminize men like this is kind of sad.

The Flash is the worst of the bunch, but Oliver Queen is just as bad, who, in spite of his veneer of perfectly manicured beard stubble, has 99% of his TV plot trajectory is driven by women in his life. He seems to be drifting in the plot right now because we are so used to him trying to find his girlfriend, pining over his dead girlfriend, pining over his resurrected returned girlfriend, in a codependent relationship with his addicted girlfriend...

There are some glimmers of hope still left, thankfully. Jim Gordon - while not a superhero, is standing tall. The relationship between son and father in FOREVER is kind of a role reversal thing where the son is actually passing on masculinity to the father, but again, the show is not really in the superhero category. Walter White of Breaking Bad, in spite of his many flaws, was an antidote to the pussy-whipped leading men of these last few decades.

Someone should start a male superhero drumming circle or something, lets just hope it isn't Wonder Woman.

Littlest Hobo

TRIBE Member
We see commercials all the time where the husband is bumbling and the wife is intelligent, shaking her head at his silly ways. One reason for this is that women make the vast majority of household purchases therefore the advertising must be directed towards them. Since TV shows are just channels for advertising perhaps the show writers recognize the importance of women to watch these shows and have men be of the sōshoku-kei danshi type?

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
We see commercials all the time where the husband is bumbling and the wife is intelligent, shaking her head at his silly ways. One reason for this is that women make the vast majority of household purchases therefore the advertising must be directed towards them. Since TV shows are just channels for advertising perhaps the show writers recognize the importance of women to watch these shows and have men be of the sōshoku-kei danshi type?
I suspected this as well... Maybe the shows are actually targeting women and young girls for marketing and wondered if women actually watched them.. My initial feeling was that the viewership was mostly men and boys but I could be wrong.

coleridge

TRIBE Member
Just google "why are men portrayed as idiots in television?"

there are lots of articles that have been written about this as of late.

coleridge

TRIBE Member
NEXT ISSUE: household chores become an issue of debate as Flash is reminded: "Why don't you use your super power and clean this room in a second when it takes me 45 mins to make the kitchen look good??"
This is hilarious and also a fascinating concept.

I hate emptying the dishwasher. That wouldn't change if I could do it in seconds as it's the mundane activity of doing it that I hate.

The landscape for action heroes has changed enormously since the 80's, people want their action heroes as someone that they can identify with, rather than the one dimensional killing machine that people like Schwarzenegger and Stallone made popular in their heyday.

Part of the beginnings of that was because of Bruce Willis and the success of Die Hard - he was still a pretty vulnerable guy who had to deal with an impending divorce and a wife whose career had taken her and their kids away from him, and the late 80's still reconciling with the idea of a woman being successful and a bigger breadwinner than a man.

Aliens also changed things as well - they made Sigourney Weaver into a full blown action hero that could stand next to the male action hero icons of the 80's. And opened the door to other female action heroes like Linda Hamilton in Terminator 2 and Anne Parillaud in Luc Besson's La Femme Nikita

Even then, the early superhero films like Tim Burton's Batman were kind of thin on character and difficult to relate to.

The Matrix took the identifiable action hero concept a lot further - opening the door towards a regular guy who can do superhero like things.

The thing is, with superheroes - it's boring when they're not identifiable with their problems and issues, and it's always been a problem when it comes to DC Comic characters - they're all pretty much Gods who don't deal with the everyday problems that regular people face.