• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

why are locked grooves all the same speed?

anx

TRIBE Member
just wondering this, is it an unwritten rule that they all must be pressed at 133bpm? why is that?

isoprax

TRIBE Promoter
really? I don't think I've ever played one so I've never noticed. Time to find one and check it out.

Could it have something to do with the record pressing ? I'd think so..?!

anx

TRIBE Member
yea man, i love playing with locked grooves, just lock them at whatever speed you want and give er

really good for practicing beat juggling, scratch dropping, halftime delay etc if you dont have to ever touch the pitch...i was bored once and played locked grooves on 3 decks for like 2 hours without touching the pitch...it was kinda fun

its also good fun if you have 3 decks, you can assign one to specifically play locked grooves

isoprax

TRIBE Promoter
I can only think of one record that I own that has a locked groove....so in my case 3 tables would be over kill (there's four in my house though which is fun once in a while)

oddmyth

TRIBE Member
Anx,

I can't remember exactly, but its something like

4 beats per round * 33.3333 rounds per minute = 133.333 beats per minute.

cheers
odbx

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

physix

TRIBE Member
so it HAS to be that speed?

i could have sworn i had a chicago house record with a locked groove that was slower than that... i could be wrong tho.

isoprax

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by oddmyth
Anx,

cheers
odbx
Kinda what I figured...but I wasn't feeling mathletic today

musork

TRIBE Member
todd is correct all the old a/s systems records would end off each side like that and it was a point of argument many a long night between us all as to which one of us got to make the 133.3333 bpm track i always lost out only becasue I was the house influnced dude who at the time refused to do any thing above 120pms... :)
so yeah it has to be that... or you wont get a lock groove on the record...

Originally posted by oddmyth
Anx,
cheers
odbx

d.code

TRIBE Member
me and some friends once set up 6 decks and 3 mixers and after recording some random stuff (it was pretty good- just too messy) we recorded a set of nothing but lock grooves. It was pretty cool. I should see if he still has a copy of it..

djUnabomber

TRIBE Promoter
it's based on the timing of the rotations of the record. ask Lawrie Immersion about it sometime... he is a pressing god. He once pressed a track inside another track so depending where you dropped the needle you got 1 of 2 songs on that side of the record. he also does plenty of lockd grooves on his records.
dunno why since i've never heard him use any that i can think of in a set....

but... i didnt read the whole thread so i'm sure someone already answered this question.

anx

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by djUnabomber
it's based on the timing of the rotations of the record. ask Lawrie Immersion about it sometime... he is a pressing god. He once pressed a track inside another track so depending where you dropped the needle you got 1 of 2 songs on that side of the record. he also does plenty of lockd grooves on his records.
dunno why since i've never heard him use any that i can think of in a set....

but... i didnt read the whole thread so i'm sure someone already answered this question.
Lawrie is a pressing god

that record is Pounding Grooves 17 special edition (called twin spirals)- its awesome!! i didnt even know about that when i bought it! i listened to it in the store, then brought it home and was like...um...this isnt how i remembered it...

thanks christian for reminding me about that track i totally forgot about it!

and you probably never heard him play his locked grooves in a set because he isn't a very good dj! i want to hear him live tho...sigh...

isoprax

TRIBE Promoter
that track within a track double groove thing is done on alot of Detroit records that came out of NSC. Ok well not alot, but more-so than most other genres (that I know of). I believe it was NSC that also pioneered the Locked Groove..I could be wrong about that though.

physix

TRIBE Member
ok, so i was gonna press my techno on all 10-inch, ending in a locked groove... so i have to make it 133.333 BPMs...

and do I make it that speed or does the masterer/cutter
do that???? if so, how do i do that? i mean the programs i use
won't allow a .33333333 speed...

musork

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by physix
ok, so i was gonna press my techno on all 10-inch, ending in a locked groove... so i have to make it 133.333 BPMs...

and do I make it that speed or does the masterer/cutter
do that???? if so, how do i do that? i mean the programs i use
won't allow a .33333333 speed...
you need to record your tracks at 133.33 bpms.
also I dont know if you can do that on a 10 inch you need to find out....
also techno on 10 inch records are not recommended...
the grooves are to small to keep the needle from bouncing out of the groove you need a wider plane like a 12 inch to handel all the bass...

musork

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by isoprax
that track within a track double groove thing is done on alot of Detroit records that came out of NSC. Ok well not alot, but more-so than most other genres (that I know of). I believe it was NSC that also pioneered the Locked Groove..I could be wrong about that though.
its the submerge guys who pieoneered all the track with in the track and the lock groove stuff...
but the first artist to ever do both was psychic TV on a 7 inch one track dialogue and one music... they did this back in the early 80s...

anx

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by musork
you need to record your tracks at 133.33 bpms.
also I dont know if you can do that on a 10 inch you need to find out....
also techno on 10 inch records are not recommended...
the grooves are to small to keep the needle from bouncing out of the groove you need a wider plane like a 12 inch to handel all the bass...
i never have any problem playing any of my 10 inch records. scratch dropping or anything they work just the same as a 12" and i own like 30 10" rekkids

musork

TRIBE Member
yeah and look at the quality of the record as compared to your 12 inches they are thicker... so that the groove can go deeper....

djUnabomber

TRIBE Promoter
^tis true^

i don't much like the 10inch styles of pounding grooves cuz the bass is hard to handle... especially pounding grooves bass.

but pounding grooves does lockd grooves on his 10inch's all the time... ???

i like that new shark label....mmmm....techno....

oddmyth

TRIBE Member
Physix,

Pressing techno on 10"s would be fine, it *seems* cheaper, but in reality you have to pay alot extra for the heavier vinyl. Its actually cheaper to press to 12" for anything with heavy bass. Also the heavier the bass, the further apart the grooves have to be, thus greatly reducing the total time of each side of the record.

odbx

physix

TRIBE Member
^^ yeah, that part I know... the track would be only
about 4.5 minutes at most. maybe 5 minutes... enough
for a build up (for even slow-ass mixing Djs) and the climax,
and then the ending simply looped in a lock groove.

i figured that would be adequate for providing enough
physical space for the bass...

i mean, the POUNDING GROOVES stuff sounded good...

well, at least to me it did.

I know it's more expensive... but i think it'd be eye-catching.

i always pick up 10-inches in the techno section and at
least listen to them... so in a see of 12-inches, these would
(hopefully) stand out alittle more... of course, that could
come and slap me in the face... but that's ok... i can lose
money... i have a day job to pay all my bills...