• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Why are HDMI cables so ridiculously expensive?

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
They are just cables after all... Why are HDMI cables so ridiculously expensive?

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
LOL where are you buying them? 6 ft cables at canada computers run 10 $ each, if you order online they are even cheaper.

and as the article Riker Look alike extraordinaire posted, its a digital signal not prone to degredation so expensive cables are not better than cheap ones, other than maybe slightly more durable and potentially slightly better materials

Aaron Bradley

TRIBE Promoter
You can get a 3ft HDMI from Dollarama for $2 and a 6ft HDMI for $3. I'm using them now and I can't see any problems.

I also used to be able to get Optical cables from there for $1. I'm still using that one for my audio. Those are also ~ $15ish

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

praktik

TRIBE Member
Anyone spending money on cables should be doing so cause the cable materials/ends are better (more durable, better "grippage", able to be plugged/unplugged a million times) over quality. Even in analog space the quality of cables is an open question and a superior expensive cable could be rated amazing due to an artefact of audiophile psychology more than demonstrated "betterness".

That said, some cables I've invested more in cause they are part of changing setups and I wanted better cable ends so they'd last forever through all my tweaking, changing, moving...

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
You can get a 3ft HDMI from Dollarama for $2 and a 6ft HDMI for $3. I'm using them now and I can't see any problems.

I also used to be able to get Optical cables from there for $1. I'm still using that one for my audio. Those are also ~ $15ish
Off to Dollarama I go!

videotronic

TRIBE Member
while a "better" cable might theoretically work over a longer run where a "worse" cable doesn't, assuming both cables work (ie you get sound and picture) there will never be a difference between $5 and $500

MartyMcFly

TRIBE Promoter
Not that you need this but these things are pretty cool.

HDMI extenders link
Specifications

Cable Type 2 x Solid CAT5e/6 (For Extension)
Cable Distance Up to 200ft (60m)
Cable Connections
- Input HDMI Type A 19 Pin Female
- Output HDMI Type A 19 Pin Female
Connectors: CAT5e/6
Housing: Case Metal
Resolution 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p
Data Rate Up to 2.25Gbps

Aaron Bradley

TRIBE Promoter
while a "better" cable might theoretically work over a longer run where a "worse" cable doesn't, assuming both cables work (ie you get sound and picture) there will never be a difference between $5 and $500
Nice VideoTronic! I 2nd that one big time! NO DIFFERENCE!

My dad invented a cable when he opened up "Phantom Acoustics" back in the day... it was called the "Phantom Cable"... What it cost and what they charged was on opposite ends. Don't be fooled by high prices and names... trust me ;-)

AB

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders