• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Why are car names these days so mind-numbingly bland and boring?

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
The QX50!
The LG !
The LS !
The S90!
The WTF!?

For the amount of money these companies are spending on marketing and perhaps design, you would think they would come up with names that are names, instead of letter and/or number combinations; something at least that personalizes a car, instead of distances a car from a person.

I guess Volkswagen is still giving car models real names, are they the last hold out?

octo

TRIBE Member
it's mostly the luxury brands that use alpha numeric nomenclature.

toyota - yaris, corolla, camry, sienna
honday - fit, civic, accord, odyssey
kia - optima, sorento, santa fe
ford- fiesta, focus, fusion, taurus, mustang
chevy - sonic, spark, camaro

etc

the american and japanese luxury brands went alphanumeric to emulate the european luxury brands.

i use to like the letters and numbers because it usually meant something (class of car and engine displacement) but that's not typically the case anymore.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

diablo

TRIBE Member
The QX50!
The LG !
The LS !
The S90!
The WTF!?

For the amount of money these companies are spending on marketing and perhaps design, you would think they would come up with names that are names, instead of letter and/or number combinations; something at least that personalizes a car, instead of distances a car from a person.
I agree. The premium car companies do it because they want you to think of the car as a BMW/Mercedes/Lexus/etc rather than whatever model it happens to be.

Almost as bad are the bland, made-up nothing names.

"Elantra"
"Corolla"
etc.

The car is usually just as bland!

djfear

TRIBE Member
I get equally confused with my own motorcycle name too...

Honda Hawk GT NT650, otherwise known as an RC31. :confused:

Is it a GT? NT? RC31? It's all of them! It's also 647cc.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

AdamAnt

TRIBE Member
One of the more recent ones is Velocter. A good looking car but I wouldn't buy it for the name.

I have also always HATED Pacifica. When in doubt just an an 'a' to the end!

Krzysiu

TRIBE Member
Volkswagen:

Golf - Gulf Stream
Passat - Pacific Stream
Jetta - Jet Stream
Tiguan - Tiger Iguana
Touareg - nomadic berber people
Beetle - looks like on
Mark II Transporter - hippy van

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
One of the more recent ones is Velocter. A good looking car but I wouldn't buy it for the name.

I have also always HATED Pacifica. When in doubt just an an 'a' to the end!

I'd buy the Velociraptor!

octo

TRIBE Member
i know that truck sells really well but i want to know who buys it? is it basically a hillbilly sports car? cause i can't see guys who use their truck for work buying one of those.

Buick also means "puke" in English.
other than the Encore, I like buick's lineup

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
Old school RC31 paint scheme which is a fucking classic!

I wasn't quite done here but you get the point:

Even John McGuiness loves it (5-time Isle of Man TT winner):

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
i know that truck sells really well but i want to know who buys it? is it basically a hillbilly sports car? cause i can't see guys who use their truck for work buying one of those.
A gun rack in the cap and a moose rack on the hood and yer good to go!

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
Hate to perpetuate the Alberta stereotype but every other truck up in Fort MacMurray is a ford raptor. Those things are not cheap.

djfear

TRIBE Member
your bike is a fucking liar !
Damn straight it is!

No way! I didn't know you had an RC31. Old school.

I'm a Honda fanboy lol

Old school RC31 paint scheme which is a fucking classic!

I wasn't quite done here but you get the point:

Even John McGuiness loves it (5-time Isle of Man TT winner):
John McGuiness is a bad ass on the Isle of Man, though I've always been rooting for Guy Martin because of his character.

I still want to upgrade to something else, though it'd be a fun project bike to work and change up, though the previous owners have changed and upgraded a few things. The current suspension is too soft for my liking, and I wish I had a bigger front end and stiffer rear, plus I'd like to get this and that and blah blah blah... freakin' never ends! Triumph S3 2007-2010 is still on my mind though.

Here's my current bike:

Late fall ride in September with my buddy (hawk, SV650)

silver1

TRIBE Member
I want a Powell Persephone!

My first choice would have been a Powell Homer, but it never made it to mass production.