• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Who's smarter than Bill Gates?

SlipperyPete

TRIBE Member
ps. sorry about the picture -- the best one I could find of you on short notice...besides the goofiness of the pic,
deep > bill gates

however both men have licked young james...
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SlipperyPete:
nonono
he helped me bigtime with a couple of XP issues. then we traded insults about the damn texans.
</font>
Well if you're running XP, you're a moron too!
 

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DarkNemesis:
XP SUCKS!!!!

i ran it for 2 days

it was so unstable i ghosted windows 2000 back onto my system
</font>
See this man is smart.

pr0nstar
 

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
Bill Gates is like Madonna... not talented, just a very good marketer...

He bought DOS from some guy for $50,000 and it went from there... really, he is no smarter than the average dude when it comes to computers...
 

zoo

TRIBE Member
I bought bill gates's book "THE ROAD AHEAD"

I paid around $7 for it

And it even came with a free cd-rom !!

Watch the movie "THE PIRATES OF SILICON VALLEY"

Available at blockbuster, it's a fun look at the way IBM / APPLE / MICROSOFT developed
 
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SlipperyPete:
ps. sorry about the picture -- the best one I could find of you on short notice...besides the goofiness of the pic,
deep &gt; bill gates

however both men have licked young james...
</font>
*sigh*

Just when I thought that photo was gone.

And I hate that photo of me as a young'um

As for Bill Gates and lollipop issues, I was young and needed the money, blah, blah, blah, you know the rest.

From the Ministry of Billy told me his name was only coincidence, "Would the head of Microsoft," he asked me, "have this shitty a haircut?!"

The answer is apperently yes.

Prime MInister Highsteppa
 

The Kid

TRIBE Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by PosTMOd:
Bill Gates is like Madonna... not talented, just a very good marketer...

He bought DOS from some guy for $50,000 and it went from there... really, he is no smarter than the average dude when it comes to computers...
</font>
What?! You've got to be kidding me...!
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

The Kid

TRIBE Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by The Kid:
What?! You've got to be kidding me...! </font>
Oh, and that was directed towards the comment about him not being smart, just a really good marketer...

...I disagree witht that.
 

tommysmalls

TRIBE Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by The Kid:
Oh, and that was directed towards the comment about him not being smart, just a really good marketer...

...I disagree witht that.
</font>
really? marketing is his main talent though - i mean apart from that, what skills does the multi-billionaire have?
 

The Kid

TRIBE Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by tommysmalls:
really? marketing is his main talent though - i mean apart from that, what skills does the multi-billionaire have?</font>
Okay for the sake of argument, lets say you're right, and Gates is just a really good marketer, if that's the case he must be a PHENOMENAL marketer - Think about the number of computers around the world that use his operating system. That's some pretty damn good marketing!

Seriously though, Gates was programming computers at the age of 13. At Harvard (while attending classes) he developed a version of the programming language BASIC for the first microcomputer - the MITS Altair. He was the vision and driving force behind Microsoft, and in the mid 70's saw the potential for the personal computer as a business tool, which it now is.

I think it's pretty absurd to think that Gates became CEO of Microsoft simply on marketing savvy!
 

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by The Kid:
I think it's pretty absurd to think that Gates became CEO of Microsoft simply on marketing savvy!</font>
Look into the history of the company, and you'll see that he is quite an idiot when it comes to computers, while he knows who to hire, what to buy... in other words, he is a good marketer.

He went to IBM, and he got exclusive rights for DOS... he didn't even HAVE an operating system, and he bought one from someone else...

Then, spent 20 some odd years before finally making a product that looks like (and almost functions as well as) a Mac circa 1985.

He poo-poohed the Internet... luckily, his marketing skills and ability to pump out a shitty buggy product out quickly saved Microsoft from total embarrassment on this front (one reason there are so many security holes in MS products when it comes to the Internet is that they were conceived without it in mind).

Summary: though MS products are ubiquitous, they are buggy as fuck, and basically just shit... but, hell, obviously marketed well, since they *are* ubiquitous. Gates is nowhere near a computer genius, but is he definitely a marketing genius.
 
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

The Kid

TRIBE Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by PosTMOd:
Look into the history of the company, and you'll see that he is quite an idiot when it comes to computers, while he knows who to hire, what to buy... in other words, he is a good marketer.

</font>
Knowing who to hire and what to buy is good marketing?! I'd call that good business sense. I'm not starting a Bill Gates fan club any time soon - I almost always use Microsoft products at work, so I know how shitty they can be...

...I just couldn't help debating that statement you made - like come on, the CEO of the biggest software company in the world doesn't know much more about computers than the average dude?! I find that hard to believe, man, but hey - who knows mebbe you're right?!
 

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by The Kid:
...the CEO of the biggest software company in the world doesn't know much more about computers than the average dude?! I find that hard to believe, man, but hey - who knows mebbe you're right?!</font>
Okay, I probably have an inflated image of what the average person knows about computers, so that's an exaggeration...

He is *obviously* not a computer genius, however. Obvious... and since you use MS products, it must be even more obvious to you...

There are plenty of examples of inferior products becoming ubiquitous over way better ones (VHS over Beta is another one)...

He is so good at marketing (or has a good "business sense"... probably a better term), he actually has you (and many, many others) thinking that he is a computer genius... I would bet that there are plenty of people on this very board reading this very thread that know more about computers than Gates does...

Again, just look at the history of what *he* has *personally* done, and you'll note that he is kind of an idiot when it comes to computers...
 
Top