• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Whos Got Decks? I got questions.....

BassInMyFace

TRIBE Member
I am thinking about what it would be like to get some tables.

-What do you guys have?
-How much can I expect to spend?
-If no-one around here can give me any pointers, could I still learn the basics on my own?
-Is there any skill at all requiered for those CD tables Ive seen? They looked kinda sheepish.

Lemme know what is up....cause Im ithcin to try.
Peace, thanks.
 

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
- 1200s only way to go $699 each
- Cartridges - $69-269 each
- Mixer - $199->$2000

- Practice!

That's about it.

Vinyl is the most expensive part.
I spent more on vinyl in the past 18 months than I have on the equipment.. And I've never DJ'd outside my living room cept the Tribe Party.

pr0nstar
 

BassInMyFace

TRIBE Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by pr0nstar:
- 1200s only way to go $699 each
- Cartridges - $69-269 each
- Mixer - $199-&gt;$2000

- Practice!

That's about it.

Vinyl is the most expensive part.
I spent more on vinyl in the past 18 months than I have on the equipment.. And I've never DJ'd outside my living room cept the Tribe Party.

pr0nstar
</font>
But what if I've never touched tables other than to but on a record and maybe skip songs...LoL this must sound funny.

Could I teach myself.........I guess there is the unlimited source of info that is Tribe Message Board.


You listen to House?
How do you decide what records would mix....just listen to them and think of the possiblilites?

So many questions......I need an "Ask Geeves...DJ edition"
 

mandapanda

TRIBE Member
i am in the same boat!
i want them, but then can i really be arsed to spend all the money? money that i don't have by the way.....
plus, the one time i tried, i was very confused. of course, this was after being up all night, but still. it was daunting
 
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Housey D

TRIBE Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BassInMyFace:
But what if I've never touched tables other than to but on a record and maybe skip songs...LoL this must sound funny.

Could I teach myself.........I guess there is the unlimited source of info that is Tribe Message Board.


You listen to House?
How do you decide what records would mix....just listen to them and think of the possiblilites?

So many questions......I need an "Ask Geeves...DJ edition"

</font>
I have a question, but don't take this the wrong way...why do you want to spin?
 

BassInMyFace

TRIBE Member
Good question......
I just want to try it I guess, I like the idea of buying records and trying to match them up to make a sweet set.

Plus I am in love with all things electronic.
Perhaps its all about finally being able to listen to my moms old records....


Mandapanda, I was confused too, the guys whos table I was looking at was impatient and didnt reall wnat to help.
 

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BassInMyFace:
Good question......
I just want to try it I guess, I like the idea of buying records and trying to match them up to make a sweet set.

Plus I am in love with all things electronic.
Perhaps its all about finally being able to listen to my moms old records....


Mandapanda, I was confused too, the guys whos table I was looking at was impatient and didnt reall wnat to help.
</font>
Buy some vinyl, and when you get 20 records I'll let you come over and play with the DJM500 and the Decks


Then you can decide from there.

pr0nstar
 

vinder

TRIBE Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by pr0nstar:
Buy some vinyl, and when you get 20 records I'll let you come over and play with the DJM500 and the Decks


Then you can decide from there.

pr0nstar
</font>
 

vinder

TRIBE Member
^^^ ugh

can i just come over, play with the djm500, the decks and your records and decide from there?
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

BassInMyFace

TRIBE Member
Thats one hell-uv-a offer!
Unfortunatley Im not in TO.

I couldnt bring myself to buy vinyl without somthing to listen to them on though.Ok maybe I could.......

Maybe you should just mail me your decks for the weekend?
Am I funny or what?

You listen to house?
 

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by vinder:
^^^ ugh

can i just come over, play with the djm500, the decks and your records and decide from there?


</font>
Anything for a brown guy with a turban these days


pr0nstar
 

funkNstyle

TRIBE Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dj Red Turtle:
Vinyl = crack.
Record stores = drug dealers.
</font>
Your tellin me!
I'm the junkie that shakes after not gettin new vinyl for a week or so.

Jonny
 

Plato

TRIBE Member
pr0n spins to chicago hard house and such

the industry standard is technics 1200's

ther nex vestax is ok i suppose but seeing as how its new you dont know how it will play in a couple years. no track record.
plus i cannot shake the feeling that it feels like a toy.

but you cant decide what you want over a board, the only way is to try them out before hand and see if they will suit your needs.

p[l]a+0
 

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
I dont' spin only Chicago Hard House..


I spin LA Hard House, Funky House (Angel Alanis) stuff, Tech House, Techno, Booty


pr0n
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Deus

TRIBE Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BassInMyFace:
I couldnt bring myself to buy vinyl without somthing to listen to them on though.Ok maybe I could.......</font>
Do you have friends that have some vinyl? I don't own decks either, but I have quite a good collection of records from them leaving them behind. They never asked for them...
 

BassInMyFace

TRIBE Member
Nah, anyone I knew with vinyl was in London. Now Im not in London anymore.

It was mostly hiphop neways.

Im making a move to TO in september, Ill think about it till then.

Anyone used the CD tables/mixer things?
I know a guy who has one, looked cool but what do I know?
 

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BassInMyFace:
Nah, anyone I knew with vinyl was in London. Now Im not in London anymore.

It was mostly hiphop neways.

Im making a move to TO in september, Ill think about it till then.

Anyone used the CD tables/mixer things?
I know a guy who has one, looked cool but what do I know?
</font>
When I move in with my buddy end of month.

The setup will include... 2 x Technic 1200 M3Ds, Pioneer DJM 500 and 2 x Pioneer CDJ100s.

pr0nstar
 

Jazz

TRIBE Member
Warning: Buying DJ equipment will lead to a serious Vinyl addiction that will require a weekly fix at your local record shop.

Seriously though, I just bought my first set of tables in late December and I was hooked instantly. In that short amount of time I've already picked up about 30+ records, so be prepared to throw a lot of your hard earned cash out the window.

But it's a helluva lot of fun, and I have no regrets
 

funkywanderer

TRIBE Promoter
Hey BassInMyFace,

I would suggest, as pronstar suggested, that you start off buying some vinyl. If you look around, you should be able to find a nice schwaggy turntable for around $100 or so. Now I'm not talking about something that you could actually mix on, but rather something that you could hook up to your stereo and listen to your toons on. I say this because I feel that it is important to have a collection of music before you go out and buy any gear. Trust me...you'll be so sick of those 20 or so records that you have initially in no time at all. Once you have a decent collection (20-40) then you might want to consider buying some gear. Again, I believe that pronstar gave you the goods in terms of cost of equipment. The basics of DJing could probably be explained in an hour or two by somebody who knows how to do it. From there on, it's a matter of practice, practice, and more practice. I've been playing for about three years and I'm always learning new stuff. You can always get better if you want to.

One other thing that I would suggest is to focus your collection of music (at least initially) on one kind of music, and that way you will have tunes that will mix well together. You say that you love all things electronic, and while I can understand that, you don't want to go off and buy a bit of trance, a bit of house, a bit of DnB, and so on. If you do this, you may end up with tonnes of records, but relatively few that you can actually mix together well. Just my opinion.

IF you want to spend a bit more money, you can contact the email below:

info@studiohideaway.com

These guys offer courses in both DJing and production of electronic music. Just request some info and they'll send you a nice little word document with all of the stuff that you need to know. They are based out of TO.

Hope that helps a bit.

Shouts from the south...
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Doob-E

TRIBE Promoter
You don't really need 12s right now. If you want to go the cheap way just buy some good belt-driven tables and a shitty mixer. it's what people who don't have $3,000 to spend on their setup do at the begining. that's what I did with AT-AT. It's good enough to start and it might cost you around $600. Then if after a year you want to take the next step you can go and spend all the money you have on 1200's.
 

Mr_Furious

TRIBE Member
l
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by pr0nstar:
Buy some vinyl, and when you get 20 records I'll let you come over and play with the DJM500 and the Decks


Then you can decide from there.

pr0nstar
</font>

I have a bag full of 50 records

can i can over to your house and play?
 

stir-fry

TRIBE Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mr_Furious:
l
I have a bag full of 50 records

can i can over to your house and play?
</font>
Sure Will, anytime you wish.
Vinder came by last night to learn to DJ


pr0nstar
 

De Music Library

TRIBE Member
We got one Tech 1200 MkII left,
We are selling it for $700.00 still in the box. Full Warranty and all that jazz.
Didn't want to break the pair but oh well!!


DML CREW
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders
Top