• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

who here makes a living on Ebay?

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I am debating on whether to get another matched pair of opterons on ebay for the new web server...

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

veteze

TRIBE Promoter
my mother does. it pays her mortgage. i don't know how she does it. 1400ish feedback rating - 100%. all out of her house. all old shit that i would otherwise throw in the trash. she used to have an antique store on queen but it was crap compared to some of the months she can have on ebay. things have slipped in the last year though and the raising canadian dollar is really starting to take its toll on her biz.

littlejon

TRIBE Member
i sold videogames and such on ebay for many years, when the dollar was more favourable.

at times it was my main source of income, it also worked as a very good job while in school. i don't think you can pull it off the same way now, with the dollar $.30 higher.

my feedback on ebay is 415 or so, member since november 98.

Prickly Pete

TRIBE Member
A coworkers wife makes her living off ebay. Every saturday she goes to garage sales around the city. Buy useless crap cheap, and doubles or triples the price on ebay.

Fillmore

TRIBE Member
I bought my mom an Ebay gift certificate this year for mothers day. I do beleive its her latest addiction.

kate

TRIBE Member
I don't make a living off of it, but I have definitely made a fair amount of money off of it selling my old clothes, usually designer ones.

My boyfriend had a vintage wholesale company who did a ton of business on ebay, I would guess he made hundreds of thousands through ebay over the last five years.

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
^^ Seriously!

I can get rid of them most easily selling them in large batches for around $3 or $4 each, but I could make so much more selling them individually on ebay for $15 or $20 each.

I just don't want to commit the time needed to make the most money off these things.

littlejon

TRIBE Member
records don't make all that much cash on ebay, you would be very lucky to get your $15 to $20 per title.
i would think $8 is more reasonable expectations.

so with your math, selling 100 records nets you $1500, minus your ebay fees, paypal fees and banking fees, @10%.
[that's $1350, but your math is full of crack.]

plus you have to pay your shipping and packaging costs, or tack that onto the auctions, lowering your final sale amount.
remember that shipping records is a pain in the ass, and regular usps shipping is not insured.

you are expecting someone to do your photography, html, shipping and auction admin for $375?
woo! that is just over $9 and hour! and i get to make you $975!
i'd consider it for a flat fee of $700 or 50% of profits.

plus it's trance.

MrMarcus

TRIBE Member
littlejon said:
i sold videogames and such on ebay for many years, when the dollar was more favourable.

at times it was my main source of income, it also worked as a very good job while in school. i don't think you can pull it off the same way now, with the dollar $.30 higher.

my feedback on ebay is 415 or so, member since november 98.

But if you were to buy products in bulk from overseas, to resell on Ebay... the higher dollar will allow you more buying power no? He who buy cheapest usually wins on Ebay?

Bumbaclat

TRIBE Member
kate said:
I don't make a living off of it, but I have definitely made a fair amount of money off of it selling my old clothes, usually designer ones.

made aka profit is different than revenue. Did you sell these used clothes for more than you paid?

gsnuff

TRIBE Promoter
Subsonic Chronic said:
I just don't want to commit the time needed to make the most money off these things.

I'm sitting on about three hundred 95-02 techno records and am in the same boat... I sold most of my good stuff, but there are still quite a few diamonds in the rough collecting dust. Yet I'm too lazy to organize everything to sell..

<remembers good old days when DJ's used black plastic>

,g

littlejon

TRIBE Member
MrMarcus said:
But if you were to buy products in bulk from overseas, to resell on Ebay... the higher dollar will allow you more buying power no? He who buy cheapest usually wins on Ebay?

shipping is the bitch, and taxes are her snotty little sister.
but if you have a way to get these products cheap enough, somehow have them shipped and skip out out on shipping fees and taxes, then yes, give it a go.
you get to work in your underwear at your pace on your hours.

but remember that the first 10% goes right back to ebay, shipping your product is a hassle at best and a nightmare at worst, and your admin time is much more than you expect it to be.

plus people on the internet are really really stupid.

it is all there in black and white on ebay, check out what your product has sold for in the last month.
do some math; you will prolly be working for about $10 an hour.

Last edited:

green_souljah

TRIBE Member
littlejon said:
pfft.
show me a completed auction with any of yor titles 'easily getting $75 - $100.'
you are talking out your ass, move along.

look at this search:
30 days of vinyl on ebay with trance in the title

People in Europe tend to have better taste in music than over here in hip pop infested north america.

Do the same search on ebay.co.uk and let me know what you find.

Anyways, I have 170+ feedbacks, selling mostly satellite parts, vintage receivers and turntables, computer parts, car parts.

Its a nice little bit of cash money when needed once in a while.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I just spent 511.00 on a pair of 252 opterons for the new web server on ebay. I swear, I am going to have to throw a party to pay for all the stuff I still have to get for it...

drives $1600 check
CPUs (US$) 511 check
mobo/case 1500
RAM 720