• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Who has been to India?

Yo,

I am going to visit my good buddy in India (Bombay) for a couple of weeks in January. Was wondering who has been to India and for some suggestions on some things I must see/do.

I am pretty sure I am going to go to Goa and will go see the Taj Mahal. Other than that, I have left it up to him to take me places and show me where I need to go.

Thanks yo. :)

T

Gizmo

TRIBE Member
T, I'm there from the 4th to the 20th of January. Most of my time will be in Delhi, couple of days in Rishikesh and Calcutta.

Bombay is west of the country though, the Taj Mahal is in Agra, near Delhi in the north of the country. So it's a bit of a trek.

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit
Originally posted by Gizmo
T, I'm there from the 4th to the 20th of January. Most of my time will be in Delhi, couple of days in Rishikesh and Calcutta.

Bombay is west of the country though, the Taj Mahal is in Agra, near Delhi in the north of the country. So it's a bit of a trek.
I'll probably be getting there around the 10th of January and will stay for about 3 weeks. (I am travelling from Tel Aviv and haven't booked yet my flight to India) My buddy works for MTV India, so we'll be pretty hooked up for parties and shit. I'd love to see you there, any chance you'll be going to Bombay? How far is Delhi from Bombay?

What's going on in Rishikesh and Calcutta?

T

xsre

TRIBE Member
If you don't see Bombay on the map, don't worry - it has not been obliterated. It just changed names to Mumbai. :D

deep

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Evil Dynovac

TOOM GANESH NAYHEE HO!!!
Indeed. T you have to say this to as many people as you can while in India, otherwise they'll bomb you or poison your curry

Gizmo

TRIBE Member
Calcutta - sweet fuck all. visiting Dad's side of the family.
Rishikesh - foothills of the Himalayas, we have a farm there. so it's a good place to chill, and barter whisky for copious amounts of hash from the locals. very beautiful place.

Bombay is about a 3.5 hour flight from Delhi. it's the financial centre for India, and a bustling metropolis. a dope city. A lot of young people there who like to party, so it's the goods. And some nice spots as well.

I'll pm you with some spots you might want to check out.

^^^ Thanks G. :)

(Hey as an aside, Dicksherwood, Qtip and myself are thinking about doing up the Snoop show too followed by the Industry party, we should all hook up)

I am getting really excited by Deep's account of his trip. I am still reading through it and will ask some questions soon enough.

My buddy, Zameer (who I know I've introduced to you Ambarish) is loving life down there. He is hooked up with MTV/VH1 parties left right and center and is always rubbing elbows and partying with famous people from Bahliwood....he tells me stories "man, I was haning out with xyz (some name I can never pronounce), he is the Tom Cruise of Bahliwood....my reaction....that's cool!" :)

this should be a fun trip.

Thanks guys.

TE

windowlicker

TRIBE Member
Never been but my sister lived in Bombay (Mumbai) for year.

Make sure you get a ton of shots before you go- another sister got a severe intestinal infection (from drinking juice) and had to be hospitalized. Bombay is apparently loads of fun to party in but be prepared to endure an overload of Celine Dion and outdated early nineties crap.

Goa is also an option- it somewhat smacks of Ibiza-ness (commercialized and overrated pilgrimage for everyone who considers themself hardcore clubber) but nonetheless is said to be fun- its a popular spot for rich kids from Israel, etc. Kerala is also beautiful.

What's a good amount of time to allot myself being there? I want to have time in Bombay with my buddy, want to go to Goa for a bit to chill the F***** out, would like to see the Taj Mahal, would like to visit some of these places you went to Deep. I was thinking about 3 weeks or so should cut it....is that enough.

Thanks for the advice windowlicker, I am getting my shots tomorrow and have my buddy as my personal guide while in Bombay, so I know I'll be mad chilling.

Deep, from what you are saying it is dirt cheap to live and vacation in India.....should be hype.

Other suggestions, recommendations?

I don't know enough about the culture. Any thing you can recommend I should read before I go so that I am not the dumbest Jewish 6'3 white boy there?1?! ;) - should be a nice combo for the ladies!! :D

T

Sunshyne Jones

TRIBE Member
I was there for one month - mid Dec 99 to mid Jan 00

Amazing!!

Mumbai (Bombay) - once you are there for even a couple of days you'll be able to get the lay of the land and figure your way around between the train station and the area where most hostelers / travelers stay ... can't remember the name of that area of town off the top of my head - by the water, by the Gateway.

tidbit: There is an internet place across the street from the train station. Upstairs - look up, look around, there's a sign.

train station can be crazy - give yourself lots of time and be patient and go upstairs, that's where travellers need to go to get their tix.

thali - i ordered it almost everyday while i was there. mmmmmm yummy!! good everywhere and most often its' all you can eat.

goa - i went there for two weeks ... stayed on a beach in a little piece of paradise called Palolem. HIGHLY recommend staying there!!! in a hut onna beach right by a warm beautiful ocean - canNOT be beat oh my gawd i wanna go back! You are close enough to get to the party part of goa should you wish to go there, including the Anjuna market etc., but far enough away that it's a gloriously quietish beach still with ample restaurants, enough travellers, and a little market. I truly truly loved it there. There's the main beach and then there's another beach just to the ... um ... right i.e. if you're standing on the Palolem beach looking at the ocean the next beach to your right is the one I'm talking about ... fewer huts = fewer tourists and one of the best restaurants in the vicinity.

If you go to Palolem - watch out for the "pig toilet" - don't say I didn't warn ya. haha

drink milk coffee
and kingfisher and
enjoy all the tasty food you can try!!

Went to Hampi (verrrrry cool, ancient religoius temples with intricate carvings, v. peaceful, lots of travelers both Indian and foreign, french bakery with yummy chocolate croissants haha, great marketplace, definitely recommend though it's one of the more 'usual' traveller destinations say the "i-need-to-do-things-the-hard-way" type travellers), Bangalore ('most westernized' city in India they say ... cool mix of the old and the new), Mysore (awesome little market based city, my fave next to Palolem), Ooty in the mountains (kinda like India's versoin of Niagara Falls in that this is where honeymooners go, also where the coffe and the tea are grown, very cool), and Mangalore (give it a miss I say, but it was a stop for us on the way back to Mumbai)

Sunshyne Jones

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by The Magical White Isle

Thanks for the advice windowlicker, I am getting my shots tomorrow and have my buddy as my personal guide while in Bombay, so I know I'll be mad chilling.

That's excellent -- get him to bring you to a bar or two in the suburbs - I had a friend take us there when were in Mumbai and it was a trip.

Deep, from what you are saying it is dirt cheap to live and vacation in India.....should be hype.
Very very very true!!!!!

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

deep

TRIBE Member
I was thinking about 3 weeks or so should cut it....is that enough.

Three weeks is more than enough time to hit most of the important shit up. If I could advise anything, knowing what you probably like, try and set aside the majority of your time for Goa, maybe at the end of the trip, where you can just chill after having seen everything.

Indeed. And you'll find the level of service there pretty exceptional.

I don't know enough about the culture. Any thing you can recommend I should read before I go so that I am not the dumbest Jewish 6'3 white boy there?1?! ;) - should be a nice combo for the ladies!! :D
All you need to remember is the magic phrase : toom ganesh nayhee ho

use it as a greeting, as a thank you, etc.

Sunshyne Jones

TRIBE Member
you will get offered hash every day
if i wasn't offered hash by 2pm there was something weird going on
only slightly exaggerating
it was a welcome offer, though, so no worries. :)

partying in anjuna, goa - craziness ... bunch of messy travellers on a beach going crazy to unrelenting goa trance. made the mistake of opting for acid one night - worst night of my life. my bad though.

i don't know - i think i was too 'on the tail end' of my raving stage when i went maybe -- it was a bit much for me. I'm glad I went and very glad I didn't stay right in anjuna. Being able to keep your distance when you wanted to was key for meand my friends.

Sunshyne Jones

TRIBE Member
whenever you go to a new area in india, you should find out a couple of words because the lingo is different from region to regiohn - your travel book will prob tell you that anyway

but yes, no, thank you, etc. are all different.

e.g. namaste in Mumbai is used as a greeting, but it's a little differnt than that in Goa region. can't remember exactly now

Gizmo

TRIBE Member
Please note because of your honkyness, the 60% "cracker markup" will be factored into all price quotes.

deep

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Sunshyne Jones

tidbit: There is an internet place across the street from the train station. Upstairs - look up, look around, there's a sign.
there are internet places all over now, it's quite mind boggling. it honestly seems as though more people have cell phones and internet connections than they do here.

deep

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Gizmo
Please note because of your honkyness, the 60% "cracker markup" will be factored into all price quotes.
yeah but the jew in him will love hagglin :)

windowlicker

TRIBE Member

T
My sister had shots done and still got sick- ask a friend, etc for a referral for a good place to get them done because doctors can be haphazard about pre travelling shots.

Sunshyne Jones

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by deep
yeah but the jew in him will love hagglin :)
haggling - if you like it you'll love india! i found it hard because everthing was so cheap - to me - anyway. but it's part of it, part of the fun for both the seller and the buyer, you know?

Sunshyne Jones

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by windowlicker
My sister had shots done and still got sick- ask a friend, etc for a referral for a good place to get them done because doctors can be haphazard about pre travelling shots.
didn't get sick in the month i was there but I was VERY careful - my travelling partner said too careful, but hey i didn't get sick.

we treated all water that seemed remotely suspect - there are ways to refill bottled water bottles and resell so you really have to be careful. no salad as lettuce is washed in water ... it's not that the water is so disgusting it's juts that your body will not be used to it - i'm sure yo uknow that, sorry. anyway, no ice cream. no fruit juices. that's some of what i did anyway.

re: shots -- got 'em done at the travel clinic at gerrard and bay - awesome. that's what they do and they know what you need to get etc.