• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Who has a/c?

dj Red Turtle

TRIBE Promoter
I need to come over if you do. Our a/c is broken and I've been sweating all night. I have lived in one place that had no a/c and vouch to never move into a n another apartment without it. Who here is surviving with only a fan? Any tips to keep the place cooler?

The Watcher

TRIBE Member
I have an AC for hte window. It's not up yet.. maybe I'll have time tonight.

Otherwise, I use a duct fan for my bedroom window to keep cool.

VinylRach

TRIBE Promoter
i dont have ac...but when my windows are open i get huge breezes from the lake...also air conditioning would be waaaaaaaaay too expensive i dont think i'd have it on if i had it

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Soulster

TRIBE Member
i think you mean vow, not vouch.

but grammar aside, i don't use A/C and i didn't last year. sure, it was hotter than hell, but you get used to it. i even get the morning sun through big bay windows shining directly on my bed, so i cook in the mornings.

my tips for staying cool:

a) go to costco (or wherever) and buy a $40 stand-up fan. those things are the bomb. you'd be surprised.

b) soak a washcloth in cold water and put it on your head at night. does wonders to cool the whole body.

c) sleep naked!

d) take lots of cold showers throughout the day.

e) time will help you acclimatize to the heat. just be a little patient.

ladee

TRIBE Member
tips:
turn off lights & other things that emit heat
close blinds/shades
leave doors open to allow air to flow through apartment
open the freezer door??? lol

I dunno, I have never lived without a/c for more than a few days (cottages and such).

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

mutslaster

TRIBE Member
i have to install mine, but we switched the room that our bedroom is in since last summer and i have this horrible fear that it won't fit in the new window.

i could barely deal w. last night with only a fan.

Casey

TRIBE Member
the only room that is air conditioned in my whole building right now is the gym. I went down there yesterday afternoon to work out, and it was chalk full of old people trying to escape the heat. They were just hanging out sitting on the equipment occasionally bursting out into arguments the way only crotchety old people can.

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
I put the a/c unit in the living room window yesterday, but didn't put the one in my bedroom window thinking i'd be fine with a fan on me. I had a pretty shitty sleep so the bedroom a/c unit is going in tonight.

I don't like to use the unit in the living room because it's so f'n loud and I have to jack the volume up on the TV if I want to wtch it while the a/c is on. ;)

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Lurker

TRIBE Member
I'll be putting my window unit in tonight or tomorrow. It will cool the living room. I have a fan for the bedroom.

Every window is open, but with a light-coloured set of blinds (the dark, heavy ones hold too much heat).

I'm also going to make an A/C cooler using a little pump of some kind and a bucket of water. On hot days, the whole a/c unit will end up getting heatsoaked, thus making it blow not-so-cold air. My plan is to dribble water over the heat exchanger to cool it more than the ambient hot air would do. Water will dribble out the bottom of the a/c unit and into a bucket to be pumped back onto the heat exchanger.

littlejon

TRIBE Member
Soulster said:

vocabulary po-lice. buy that girl a pencil.

i think that i have reached my limit, as far as air con and my apartment.
it is time to buy some comfort, but i promise to be reasonable with it.

TheRunningBoard

TRIBE Member
Soulster said:

but grammar aside, i don't use A/C and i didn't last year. sure, it was hotter than hell, but you get used to it. i even get the morning sun through big bay windows shining directly on my bed, so i cook in the mornings.

my tips for staying cool:

a) go to costco (or wherever) and buy a $40 stand-up fan. those things are the bomb. you'd be surprised.

b) soak a washcloth in cold water and put it on your head at night. does wonders to cool the whole body.

c) sleep naked!

d) take lots of cold showers throughout the day.

e) time will help you acclimatize to the heat. just be a little patient.
I am on board with you. I really like the heat, but we do use the a/c because not everyone in the house is like me.

Caz

TRIBE Member
edit: ^^^^ damn you

dj Red Turtle said:
The heat is melting my brain..... I just took a shower and I'm sweating already.
haha aw kev :(
I remember my old place a couple of summers ago, you would do the cold shower thing but whats the point when you start sweating again as you're drying off! Also, prolly not the smartest move but my roomate and I burned out the brand new fridge by making the homer tent and sitting in it all day. DOH!

Kazoo

TRIBE Member
I have a window unit and I just leave it at 20 degrees. My apartment feels just great. I couldn't imagine going without it. Plus I don't pay for hydro!