• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Who gave that guy the microphone?!

basilisk

TRIBE Member
I work down near the US consolate, so I tend to run across various rallies and protest sessions on lunch breaks or after work. Leading up to the Iraq War things were often messy when I stepped out for a bit to eat. Every now and then I stand around and take some pictures and listen to what these people have to say. Almost every time I am boggled at how goddamn stupid their message often is. Take today for an example... I'm not sure what the rally was about or who organized it, but the cops cordoned the wide divider just south of Queen and University, and a bunch of "speakers" were delivering cold rational fact. Now, an activist can start somewhere sensible - "poverty is a huge problem in our nation" - yet it doesn't take long for the real substance of the speeches to become clear: "prepare for the coming genocide!" I can follow the logic with regards to solving the homeless problem, but when they start going off about prophecy, false terrorist attacks, and "FEMA troops" overwhelming the country, jeez. What is it with these people? Anyone involves becomes crazy by association. Perhaps some of the other speakers would have something worth listening to, but I wasn't about to stick around, especially when the sketchy dude next to me pumps his fist in the air and shouts "they'll kill us all!!!"

Protest rallies: serious business, or mindless entertainment?

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
basilisk said:
especially when the sketchy dude next to me pumps his fist in the air and shouts "they'll kill us all!!!"
haha... reminds me of "dey tuk ar jabs!"

Ahh... I miss working right across the street from you.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

AdRiaN

TRIBE Member
Yeah, I live near the consulate and see all kinds of protests, particularly as the weather gets warmer.

They rarely draw the attention of bystanders or the media, so for all intents and purposes, they achieve little more than giving the protestors a sense of accomplishment by "expressing outrage."

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
AdRiaN said:
Yeah, I live near the consulate and see all kinds of protests, particularly as the weather gets warmer.

They rarely draw the attention of bystanders or the media, so for all intents and purposes, they achieve little more than giving the protestors a sense of accomplishment by "expressing outrage."

Protestors have only managed to convince me that police should use live ammo.