• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Who Converted You

Hispeeddub

TRIBE Member
Just curious to see who yall hold responsible for your breaks addiction. For me it was one dose and I was hooked. It was the one like DJ Incog who converted me back in BC around 98. Danced my ass of that night and been a breaks head ever since. ( is Incog still in Toronto and if so does he ever play out?)

case sensitive

TRIBE Member
Intimate Productions party at the Big Bop in January 2000, my friend Carolyn had spoken passionately about sets by a DJ named "Czech" and promised the basement would provide beats of a similar quality.................she was right! I danced my ass off and ignored Jungle for the first time. DJ X "Rok the Discotec" was dropped twice and I danced MUCH harder the second time, hooked from the first sweet beat.

matt

Hipsterave

TRIBE Promoter
Czech early on but it was Big League Chu that kept me dancin since the "vip" room at the drink. That was where I first realized there was a whole other world of music I was missing out on.

Robb G also gets my props for introducin me to tons of wicked producers in his stint at eastern bloc.

peace
farbs

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

!Myagi!

TRIBE Member
well, to be fair to myself here.......i found myself listening to breaks first and i never found need to expand or look elsewhere.....

KickIT

TRIBE Member
Vitamin D - Live from Denver (circa 1995)
DJ Dan - Syrous 2 Year
Czech - PSD New Year 96

Those 3 got me into breaks. But that Vitamin D Live from Denver tape must've been played about a billion times.

And my boy BLC's Masterbeat'n revived my interest in breaks after I had ventured into the techhouse/techno world.

*c*

docta seuss

TRIBE Member
BREAKERS REVENGE

at the hamilton convention centre. donald glaude and big leauge chu tore that shit to pieces.

hooked. instantly.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Eclectic

TRIBE Member
The one like D-Monic at the PPM 5th Year after-party @ Zombie's.

:D

(And then Robb G and Czech and BLC helped me figure out what I liked best. Da Figgety FUNK!)

:p

Last edited:

litespeed

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by KickIT

And my boy BLC's Masterbeat'n revived my interest in breaks after I had ventured into the techhouse/techno world.
I recently aquired this from a certain girl who likes sweet beats... she left in in my car, and now it is mine! *insert evil laugh here* :D

oddmud

TRIBE Member
DJ FLUID.

Pound Recordings

The Fluid story begins in October ’97 in Vancouver, B.C. As a party kid, Pete Mura (Fluid) had gone to many of the events in Vancouver, giving shape to the city as being one of the best in North America for the Electronic Music scene. His days as a party-goer were becoming numbered due to the fact that the dj’s were not playing the style which he had grown to love. This sprung the creation of DJ Fluid. Starting out playing house parties for his friends as a hobby on two belt-driven Technique DL-20’s, he quickly realized that it was time to take the plunge and buy 1200’s to get his skills to an actual ‘dj’ level. In doing so, his style changed from just buying any records, to actually developing, and pushing a style of Electronic Music. But which one?! Coming from a long history of listening to Hip Hop since the age of 14, then getting into the Heavy-Metal/Punk side of things, he wanted something with a driving edge that was not the same as what everyone else was playing. Dj’s Simply Jeff, Mojo and Raz, John Kelley(at the time), Dan(at the time), and locals Czech, and Slim were pushing the sounds of breakbeat hard. This beautiful genre of music had exactly the elements that Fluid was looking for. He quickly started on developing his now very recognizable style of impeccable long mixing, with a taste of turntableism. It took about a year and a half to start getting a feeling for where he wanted to go with this. At this time, Fluid received his first gig. Playing at the local Buffalo Jeans store in the mall. Playing for jeans and socks until that residency was crushed after two weeks by mall security. Fluid was chased back into the hills to play house parties again for beer. That weekend, while playing for a packed living room, Sean Karl approaches Fluid with a proposal to start a club night. Pound Wednesdays was born with Fluid as resident, along with Cold Steel Records. Cold Steel Records, founded in ’98 had a focus on providing Vancouverites with a broad spectrum of Electronic music every Wednesday night at the Palladium nightclub. This allowed Fluid to play along side with such names as Simply Jeff, Laidback, and his two favorite locals, Czech and Slim. This also provided an alley to release Fluid’s first CD entitled “Sunny Breaksâ€쳌 which was very well received on a national level. Flux Magazine ranked it in the top twenty new releases for international mixed cd’s. During this time, Fluid wanted to broaden his musical horizons. After going to the Miami Winter Conference in 2000, and learning that a well known Drum and Bass producer had already claimed the title of Cold Steel, it was time to close the chapter of Cold Steel, and bring on the new, and improved Pound Recordings Inc. Pound Wednesdays continues; however, at the new location of #7 Alexander St. Mostly focusing as a night strictly on breakbeat and D’n’B, it has given Fluid the opportunity to play out his other passion of Drum and Bass as well as his first, and foremost passion of the breaks. Pound has gained international recognition as the leading breakbeat night in Vancouver. The loop magazine reviewed Pound in their June 2001 issue as having a vibe “Somewhere between mellow and crazy. This place is decked out to the nines and everyone is having a great time.â€쳌 Fluid is now a well-recognized name in the international scene. His driving Nu Skool breaks have won him the coveted title of best dj in Vancouver by winning the 104.9 X-fm dj competitions in 2000. He is regularly playing out in Canada and the U.S. along side as such names as B.L.I.M., Johnny Dangerously, Storm, Dieselboy, Soul of Man, Simply Jeff, Mystical Influence, and DJ Icey to name a few. His newest mixed CD, ‘Nocturnal Overcast’ is a picture of what to expect from this madman. He is now into production, and is currently producing the track ‘B.C. Buds’ with one half of the Brothers of Funk duo, Johnny Dangerously. This, among other gems will be released under his label, Pound Recordings, in the near future. Be prepared…

TheDirtBikeKid

TRIBE Member
Big Daddy Kane !!!
I bought a tape of his in High school and I've been looking for music like it ever since(found it at Breakfest).
I plan to one day make music that funky but with todays production!!!!!!
Dave

MOD ONE

TRIBE Member
Big League Chu, Dave Saddler and system really got me into breaks. I got in kind of late if you ask me, but better late than never. The night that really turned my head had to be The Freeland/Infusion party. What I liked about that party was that breaks was going off in the main room, and the people that it brought where there for one thing and that was to kill the dance floor. I find with breaks it brings so many different kinds of music and meshes it in one night, so you don't get this monotone type of feeling that I find you get with some other music. The attitude that comes along with breaks is great... there's not these people with big heads and cocky attitudes, but I'm pretty sure there's always a couple wherever you go. It wasn't one thing that got me into breaks...it was a multiple of things. All the elements that's involved with breaks I can relate to, and that's why I like my breaks sooooo much.

Last edited:

KickIT

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by TheDirtBikeKid
Big Daddy Kane !!!
Pimp'n ain't easy. Love that track.

Also on the old breakbeat tip you can't forget about EPMD and Erik B and Rakim and old Terminator X (Public Enemy)

"Friday night, ain't a damn thing funny... bitch better have my money"

*c*

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

JuNiOrR

TRIBE Member
for me it was Marty Mcfly, PLastic Motive and all the Eastern Bloc cats(coupled with alchohol) @ the old nights at Embryon...

I only used to enjoy sets by Marty and Plastic... then all of a sudden my 19th birthday comes around... i'm tanked at Embryon and we end up drinking on the breaks floor for hours... it took a while but slowly I was able to enjoy breaks without being ripped off my ass...

now it's all about the house, breaks and techno for me... but really I just love it all..

"cirrus- Give us a break" and other old prodigy were the first tunes I really liked that fell into this genre though.

*Justin

Sugar D

TRIBE Promoter
DJ Dan & Eric Davenport were my first introductions to breaks.

The day I became hooked was the day I bought Minute Maid Live @ Funkist at X-Static.

Other influential tapes were:

DJ Dan- Take a Fix To Funk
DJ Dan- Tribute to James Brown
Vitamin D- Live from Denver
DJ Dan- Syrous 95

+ so many more...

Caz

TRIBE Member
his majesty McFly.

Only it was'nt hearing his set that changed me, it was spinning breaks back2back with him when i was still "officially" playing House at the time.

that was about 4 years ago. I have'nt played House since

:D