• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Where to get new health card and where is ministry of transportation?

kaniz

TRIBE Member
I need a new health card (do places accept this for ID?) and/or I need to get my beginners again.

My only photo ID is yonks expired, and of me 8 years ago and looks nothing like me. I'm sick of door-men giving me 'hrmm, is this really you?' look when I try and get into places.
 

kaniz

TRIBE Member
what do they require for valid ID? I have like, none.

No passport, I lost my birth certif (I need to deal with that soon also), is having my old health card valid enough?

(and thanks)
 

crabgrass

TRIBE Member
First off, a health card is not for ID, and if I am not mistaken it is illegal to use as ID.

There is a Ministry of Transportation at Bay / Wellesley in the government buildings.

Go to the MTO website and you can find listing for different locations.
 

Funzo

TRIBE Member
If you're hurtin for ID go to the LCBO and get a BYID card. That's what I use 'cause I'm not allowed to get behind a wheel anymore (medical reasons, not the booze)

It only cost me $15 and whatever to get the pics taken. Also having a Firearms license works. Esepecially when crossing the boarder
 
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by kaniz
what do they require for valid ID? I have like, none.

No passport, I lost my birth certif (I need to deal with that soon also), is having my old health card valid enough?

(and thanks)
get the BC first!! Go to Bay and Welsley there is an office. Get your doctor lawyer or accountant to sign the forms and send in the 30 bucks. While your getting the BC form filled out by your doctor or whoever also fill in the passport forms and get the same person to sign both.

Then get Health Card (BC is all you need for that)

Then with Health Card and BC get a passport.

If you can prove your in a rush the total process takes about 1 week
 

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by kaniz
what do they require for valid ID? I have like, none.
They haev it up on the givernment website. I don't remember what site but I had to renew my health card earlier this year and they have a pretty detailed list about what kinds of ids are acceptable.
 

dyad

TRIBE Member
i cross the border using my health card as photo id along with my birth certificate all the time

I think you cant use it for id here because some people still have the old cards
 

kaniz

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Ditto Much
get the BC first!! Go to Bay and Welsley there is an office. Get your doctor lawyer or accountant to sign the forms and send in the 30 bucks. While your getting the BC form filled out by your doctor or whoever also fill in the passport forms and get the same person to sign both.

Then get Health Card (BC is all you need for that)

Then with Health Card and BC get a passport.

If you can prove your in a rush the total process takes about 1 week
whats the name of the office/looking for there?
 

AdRiaN

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by crabgrass
First off, a health card is not for ID, and if I am not mistaken it is illegal to use as ID.
I believe your OHIP number is considered "private information" so it's illegal for anyone to look at your health card without your permission. You should be able to use a health card as identification if presented voluntarily.
 
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

kuba

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by dyad
i cross the border using my health card as photo id along with my birth certificate all the time

I think you cant use it for id here because some people still have the old cards
Umm, good luck doing so in 2006 and beyond.
 

kuba

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by AdRiaN
I believe your OHIP number is considered "private information" so it's illegal for anyone to look at your health card without your permission. You should be able to use a health card as identification if presented voluntarily.
A Valid Government Health Insurance Card bearing your name, and Health ID number.
IMPORTANT: Canadian health cards from PEI, Ontario, and Manitoba cannot (by law) be used for identification. However, other Canadian health cards may be used.
 

rizzlah

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by dyad
i cross the border using my health card as photo id along with my birth certificate all the time

I think you cant use it for id here because some people still have the old cards
even the new health cards with the pictures are not considered valid id for clubs, liquor or cigarettes.
 

janiecakes

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by rizzlah
even the new health cards with the pictures are not considered valid id for clubs, liquor or cigarettes.
that's weird, cause i use it all the time for clubs and at the beer store and LCBO (i don't have my driver's license).
 
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

rizzlah

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by janiecakes
that's weird, cause i use it all the time for clubs and at the beer store and LCBO (i don't have my driver's license).
i've used mine too so im not really sure of the rules. i have seen signs in restaurants and at clubs saying NO HEALTH CARDS but i don't really understand why.

once i tried to buy cigarettes and the stupid, stupid lady tried to tell me that you can't use your health card to buy cigarettes because health canada doesn't support smoking.

MAYBE thats true (???) but it sounded so stupid to me.

anyway, i am under the impression that you can be denied if you only have your health card.
 

kat

TRIBE Member
you want to replace the red and white card? or you need to update the photo one?
i always heard it was a good idea to keep the red and white card. way fewer hassles when using it. and you dont have to go and update the stupid thing every so odd years.

i have the BYID (age of majority) from the LCBO, since i dont drive or have a passport. its pretty good..ugly, fake looking card but it works. you just have to get a guaranteer for your photo, and i think a photocopy of your birth certificate. oh and its 15$ like funzo mentioned above.
i have crossed the border with it, but according to tribe that shouldnt have happened/will not happen in the future. meh.

either way: get your birth certificate reissued first before you try and get whatever you decide on. youre going to have a really hard time if you dont have it.
 

kat

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by rizzlah
even the new health cards with the pictures are not considered valid id for clubs, liquor or cigarettes.
ive seen that rule listed in convenience stores..but not anywhere else.
maybe its to the discretion of the person checking the id.
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

PRIMAL

TRIBE Member
I've never had my license and have been using my health card for photo id for 9 years and never had a problem.
 

litespeed

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by PRIMAL
I've never had my license and have been using my health card for photo id for 9 years and never had a problem.


rarely do people give problems for that... but technically it's not an "acceptable" form of ID
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders
Top