1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

where to buy a nice couch?

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by fear_of_fours, Jul 2, 2010.

1. fear_of_fours

fear_of_fours TRIBE Member

2. Bass-Invader

Bass-Invader TRIBE Member

depends what you're looking for. I bought a very similar couch from EQ3, but it was leather and over 1000 - i think the fabric versions are cheaper. It took them 3 months to build it though.
    To be honest, I am pretty happy with the ikea couch i have over here. The tribe bourgeois might roll their eyes at that four letter word but it was cheap, looks alright, sturdy and good for letting people pass out on after a late night.

3. toney

toney TRIBE Member

Sears.
    We bought our Natuzi set (couch / chair / ottoman) - $2400 - speard over 24 months with only $60 admin fee. No interest and it's almost like you saved up to buy it in cash.

Very well made and very soft itilian leather.

Structube also has some nice couches - but I prefer their bed rooms or TV units

4. Doug.M.

Doug.M. TRIBE Member

the best place i've seen is a place called '4you' in 'centre point mall' at Yonge and Steeles.
    They have really nice, and really modern sectionals and couches. All are two or three tone leather... really cool designs.
    sectional, and living room sets are usually about $1600.

cheap price and good quality.

Man.. I have been waiting for this question. I stumbled upon this place a couple years ago.

Dont bother looking up a website. I found it, and it shows like victorian type stuff on the site.
    You gotta see it to believe it my friend .lol!

5. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

GH Johnsons

6. daddyiwantchocolate

daddyiwantchocolate TRIBE Member

7. erika

erika TRIBE Member

Another vote for Structube (they carry Bauhaus, which are well made)

And a vote in favour of GH Johnsons - I've bought a number of things from them; they have a lot of US made stuff and often have their own delivery challenges, but they deliver free of charge, which is nice on large items.

Pavilion, on the other hand, is another story: bought a couch from them, delivered with wrong legs; had to wait six weeks for the right ones; when they arrived and I asked what they were going to do for me (throw cushion? something?) they said they wouldn't charge me for the delivery and installation of the correct couch legs...
    I had dropped a bunch of $$ there before and have not set foot there again.

8. basketballjones

basketballjones TRIBE Member

9. djfear

djfear TRIBE Member

I got a dope dark brown leather couch (& sofa chair). Bought it for under a G note 'cause it has a scuff on it that I only see when I look at it. You buying this for a place you own or are renting?

This reminds me that I should probably sell my couch & sofa chair before I move out... anyway what about craig's list or better yet the as is section in places like Leon's?

10. kirstenmeows

kirstenmeows TRIBE Member

Try the top floor at the Eaton centre Bay. They have some amazing deals on furniture in their clearance department. On a good day, you can find exactly what you are looking for at less than a grand.

11. KodiaK

KodiaK TRIBE Member

check out the various outlet stores for the big retailers.

like sears and leons. You can find some hella good deals on couches. Just make sure the tags on them dont say "soiled"

12. keline

keline TRIBE Member

There are a bunch of smaller furniture stores on Bloor St. W. between Ossington and Lansdowne.. After looking at a bunch of the larger retail stores (Sears, Leons, The Brick), we got a floor model in perfect condition for $400 from one of those places on Bloor W., less than half the price of similar models we saw at the chain stores.
    One thing I learned decorating our place is that with furniture the price often does not reflect the quality. A tub chair that we fell in love with cost a small fortune and has not held up, whereas the relatively cheap (in price) couch still looks and feels just like new.

13. erika

erika TRIBE Member

^
    yes, like that funky one on the south side whose name I don't remember, but has a mixture of cool little bits and horror pieces - definitely worth checking.

14. KillaLadY

KillaLadY TRIBE Member

DirectBuy

15. toney

toney TRIBE Member

Ironically we bought a sick Natuzzi couch for our basement this weekend ...We liked it at $2600 so couldnt refuse the $1920.00 price tag. We are using deferred payments over 36 months (like $50/month). But it was nothing down (not even the taxes and they waived the deferred payment cost) - only $75 for delivery. And remember these couches will soon be made in China , so we figured it was worth getting a nice Italian made couch; they are really impeccably made with extremely nice leather and style.

Three years to pay off - should be about 20% of its life span.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  16. orchid

orchid TRIBE Member

we are looking for a new couch or sectional (and bed and dining table set). did anyone know that DOT Furniture sells more than just patio stuff??? it looks totally fine, and super cheap! check out the indoor furnishings:

INDOOR

has anyone ever bought furniture from them? reviews please and thank you.

17. kennyboy

kennyboy TRIBE Member

All depends on how much you want to spend, and how long you want the sofa for.

If you have the budget, check out Montauk on King E. Not cheap by any standards but it's beautiful furniture.

18. orchid

orchid TRIBE Member

thanks for the tip. i don't think i'm at the stage in my life where i'm ready for a $4,000 sofa :)eek:) lol

19. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

don't bother, all of their stuff is overpriced garbage

20. orchid

orchid TRIBE Member

we made the trek to dufferin and lawrence yesterday. while i wouldn't say the stuff was 'overpriced' it was mostly garbage. appropriately priced garbage.

oh, and it snows all the way up there! they already have winter!

21. Nesta

Nesta TRIBE Member

Brentwood Classics

contact them to inquire about retailers. made right here in ontario!

22. Booty Bits

Booty Bits TRIBE Member

we bought two beautiful upholstered chairs made by Brentwood Classics. we bought them at New Rochester Furniture in Scarborough. you can find Brentwood at G.H. Johnson but they are fuckers and will charge you much more for the same product, minus the customer service.

23. the wiz

the wiz TRIBE Member

Dude, I have never been in the place, but I just wanted an excuse to drop the name ROCHE BOBOIS. They have this ultra slick furinture store near Parliament and Adelaide, and I bet the sofas are hand-carved from enchanted oaks.

24. erika

erika TRIBE Member

they aren't, but they ARE cool
    I bought my very first couch from them when I still lived in France; not sure I could afford one there these days, though they do have good sales.