• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Where in the bible?

Visual1

TRIBE Member
I am compltetly oblivious to the bible, religion, and all things holy. So someone please educate me as to where in the bible it says...

1. we should not have blood transfusions (sp) ? this is for johovah's witnesses.

2. premarital sex is bad

3. what is condsidered premarital sex? is oral or anal okay?

4. homosexuality is wrong?

5. any indiation about abortion?

lastly, this will not be in the bible but can some explain if incest is a sin, how are we all decendents of adam and eve?

cheers.

Alex D. from TRIBE on Utility Room

litespeed

Well-Known TRIBEr
Visual1 said:
I am compltetly oblivious to the bible, religion, and all things holy. So someone please educate me as to where in the bible it says...

1. we should not have blood transfusions (sp) ? this is for johovah's witnesses.

2. premarital sex is bad

3. what is condsidered premarital sex? is oral or anal okay?

4. homosexuality is wrong?

5. any indiation about abortion?

lastly, this will not be in the bible but can some explain if incest is a sin, how are we all decendents of adam and eve?

cheers.

I've seen the homosexuality one.. it says thou shall not lay with another man as he would a woman or somethign very close to that.

the abortion one.. i think religious peeps go by the 10 commandments on that one.. thou shall not kill

ScottBentley

TRIBE Member
This reminds of an email that was circulating a while back:

Laura Schlesinger is a US radio personality who dispenses advice to people who call in to her radio show. Recently, she said that homosexuality is an abomination according to Leviticus 18:22 and cannot be condoned in any circumstance. The following is an open letter to Dr.Laura penned by a US resident and also posted on the Internet:-

Dear Dr. Laura:

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from your show, and I try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate.
I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the specific laws and how to follow them.

a) When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odour for the Lord (Lev. 1:9). The problem is my neighbours. They claim the odour is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

b) I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

c) Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighbouring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

d) I have a neighbour who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?

e) A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination (Lev. 11:10), it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this?

f) Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?

g) Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev.19:27. How should they die?

h) I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

i) My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev. 19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? (Lev.24:10-16). Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you can help. Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.

Your devoted disciple and adoring fan.

Just making a point.

:) :) :) :)

nikki.classics

TRIBE Member
i think most of those come up in deuteronomy somewhere...
premarital sex is deuteronomy 22:13-22. "but if the charge is true and there is no proof that she was a virgin, then they are to take her out to the entrance of her father's house, where the men of her city are to stone her to death. She has done a shameful thing among our people by having intercourse before she was married".

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

sweetdaddy

TRIBE Member
premarital sex is bad - in one of paul's letters to the corintheans. he says that we shoud only love god and refrain from sex. but if yo have sex with someone you should marry them. you shouldn't have sex becasue it creates relationships on earth that detract from your commitment to god (if youhave kids and earthly commitments it is harder to be able to do what god wants at anygiven time)

however, paul believed teh end times where right around teh corner (although technically theya re for every individual).

i don't think jesus ever had any specific rules for no premarital sex...jesus pretty much just says be good.

*this is an offthecuff, 1 minute repsonse. i am sure it is debatable.

why not

TRIBE Member
are there any christian sects that ignore everything in the bible other than what jesus is supposed to have said?

you'd think there would be.

sweetdaddy

TRIBE Member
sweetdaddy said:
premarital sex is bad - in one of paul's letters to the corintheans. he says that we shoud only love god and refrain from sex. but if yo have sex with someone you should marry them. you shouldn't have sex becasue it creates relationships on earth that detract from your commitment to god (if youhave kids and earthly commitments it is harder to be able to do what god wants at anygiven time)

however, paul believed teh end times where right around teh corner (although technically theya re for every individual).

i don't think jesus ever had any specific rules for no premarital sex...jesus pretty much just says be good.

*this is an offthecuff, 1 minute repsonse. i am sure it is debatable.

oh yeah
\paul is againts marrriage too....unless you have sex, than you shoud marry who you have sex with. PAUL pretty much figured teh world was gonna end really soon, so we should all live for god (marry god) and cease worrying about families and what not (earthly concerns).
he thought jesus was issaih (sp...slips my mind hwo to spell it right now), and that this meant the end of the world was very near.

sweetdaddy

TRIBE Member
why not said:
are there any christian sects that ignore everything in the bible other than what jesus is supposed to have said?

you'd think there would be.

thing is, it's just as debatable as to what jesus did and di not say.

the parable of teh FIG TREE is a real head scratcher. (thanks for pointing that one out nikki.classics)

nikki.classics

TRIBE Member
deuteronomy also says if you rape a young woman and she is NOT engaged already you must pay her father fifty pieces of silver and marry her.

no cross-dressing allowed-- "Women are not to wear men's clothing, and men are not to wear women's clothing; the Lord your God hates people who do such things" (deut. 22:5). i'll bet he also gets pissed when people try to match stripes with plaid or white socks with birkenstocks.

Vincent Vega

TRIBE Member
Are you asking because you're genuinely interested? Or because you'd like to start a "let's bash religion" thread?

If (a), then you're likely better off seeking these answers elsewhere than here on this board; and,

if (b) then you could have bumped any of the other 100 or so....

EDIT: I only say that 'cause the odds of (b) happening are around....oh.....100% :)

sweetdaddy

TRIBE Member
jesus also appointed apostles and what not...so if we are to worry only about what jesus did and said...thenw we would have to care about teh fact that he wanted the world spread, and he wanted it spread by others....so to ignore their works, words, & whatever would be to go against what jesus said and did.

not to mention that jesus never wrote....everythign about jesus is written by others...so to read what otehrs say he did is just as important as what they say he said.

nikki.classics

TRIBE Member
parents, are you having problems with your disobedient son? "take him before the leaders of the town where he lives and make him stand trial. they are to say to them, 'our son is stubborn and rebellious and refuses to obey us; he wastes money and is a drunkard.' then the men of the city are to stone him to death, and so you will get rid of this evil." (deut 21:18-21).
problem solved.

why not

TRIBE Member
sweetdaddy said:
thing is, it's just as debatable as to what jesus did and di not say.

the parable of teh FIG TREE is a real head scratcher. (thanks for pointing that one out nikki.classics)

of course, but is there one that tries?

meaning discounts all the other prophets and whatever, and just focusses on accounts of jesus' life?

sweetdaddy

TRIBE Member
why not said:
of course, but is there one that tries?

meaning discounts all the other prophets and whatever, and just focusses on accounts of jesus' life?

i don't know.
i don't dig on any organized religion.
i just read and learn and experience things for myself, and follow my own path. i really like the bible, and learned alot of great things from it.
but i don't go to church, and i don't care what any particular preacher says.

sweetdaddy

TRIBE Member
i am reading alot about Zorastians lately.
i am liking alot of what i am learning form them.

(i learned about them after learning about FREDDIE MERCURY.....spirituality comes from everywhere. bibles, autoshops, blogs, and mtv)

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
I just want to know why the bible is so badly written, seeing as it was written by god. I mean, fuck, Dan fucking Brown writes better.

sweetdaddy

TRIBE Member
MoFo said:
Is the Bible still the biggest selling book next to the Philosopher's Stone?

most likely...but i don't know

but i do know that at sometime in the past, the EATONS catalogue surpassed THE BIBLE as the book in the most amount of homes. obviously that doesn't hold true anymore. now it's the TV GUIDE i think. lol.