• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

where do you workout?

AshG

I think I am getting ripped off at Goodlife. Supposedly I am on the corporate rate, but I am still paying around $55 after tax.
i have to amend my previous amount... i see on the site we go to, to sign up.. its listed at 359, but i know i also do get a deal for signing up early, as opposed to leaving it until the renewal date each year.

but the deal you get all depends on the number of members your corporation has, and how many they figure will sign up. i belong to a very large 'corporation', so i'm guessing the deal is what it is because of that.

derek

TRIBE Member
Extreme Danforth - No complaints really, I never have a problem doing what I need to do, even at peak times.

The only thing that sucks about the new renovation is that they took out the steam room and only put in a sauna.

I have no idea if this gym is a hotspot for gay cruising?
and the sauna's tiny. there's lots of gay dudes there, but i wouldn't say they're cruisin'. it is riverdale after all. however, there were just as many at the bay bloor location too.

the only issue i see at peak times is getting a power rack as they only have 2. partly, why i prefer to get there in the am. plus, once i'm done work, i'm done, i won't go workout. i feel much better working out in the morning, even if it's 5am; sets the pace for my whole day.

wakipaki

TRIBE Member
been going to the athletic center at UFT, and I have to say its pretty awesome,

its super cheap and the weight room has to be one of the most serious gyms i've ever seen, they have 4 squat racks, tonnes of olympic lifting style platforms, 5 sets of dumbells, the field house upstairs is great too, tones of other equipment and the 50 m pool is bad ass, its definetly not a "pretty gym" but its got so much stuff if your serious about your workout its def the best value

it gets busy but you can always find your space

The Watcher

TRIBE Member
In the gym in the basement of the Village by the Grange. It's part of the condo, it's barely used and has enough equipment to keep me satisfied for now. The price is right and it's a 2 minute walk from my front door.

gl*tch

TRIBE Member
Extreme Bay/Bloor or Extreme Yonge/Dundas - towel service 40$/month

Beaucoup de gheys at both locays!

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

derek

TRIBE Member
Crossfit Mississauga

a littly pricey, but i love the concept.

i keep meaning to check out the one on carlaw near my house.

i just notice someone said they were paying $76 for extreme, wow, i pay $50.00 a month with towel service and multiple locations.

also, +1 the fitness connection on don mills. i worked out there when i was employed in the area. nice gym.

[SQUARE]

TRIBE Member
I'm a member at the Ymca of Hamilton/Burlington. I just used my membership yesterday to go to the Oakville YMCA. Holy crap that place has space age machines. I think the machines are called technogym. Anyone used them before?

Anyway the Y is awesome and I have a spousal rate so its like $40 or something like that. And there's tons of locations so it makes the most sense for me as I travel around a fair bit.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

jocelyn dee

TRIBE Promoter
and the sauna's tiny. there's lots of gay dudes there, but i wouldn't say they're cruisin'. it is riverdale after all. however, there were just as many at the bay bloor location too.

the only issue i see at peak times is getting a power rack as they only have 2. partly, why i prefer to get there in the am. plus, once i'm done work, i'm done, i won't go workout. i feel much better working out in the morning, even if it's 5am; sets the pace for my whole day.
I work out at the Danforth Extreme because it is at the end of my street, however, I am not particularly fond of it. I prefer the Yonge/Dundas Extreme.

I like to do circuits with free weights and body weight exercises and I can never seem to find the space or equipment I need at the Danforth location. Also, I am often waiting for the squat rack.

Although, even at the Yong/Dundas location I end up waiting for the squat rack since they only have one. But there just is way more space at Yonge/Dundas and the group fitness studio/yoga room is often open so I can go in there too do some excercises/stretching.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

gl*tch

TRIBE Member
I joined when it was Bally's and that was the promo prior to their sell-off to Extreme I guess. When they switched they had to honour all old agreements.

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
I know, but it's actually really big inside - four levels (it just keeps going!) and the equipment is almost all new. They even have a hot tub in the locker room.

jocelyn dee

TRIBE Promoter
I know, but it's actually really big inside - four levels (it just keeps going!) and the equipment is almost all new. They even have a hot tub in the locker room.
aww - Bloor Park.

I worked out there for a bout 5 years when it was still part of the Sports Clubs of Canada.

Then it got bought by Goodlife and I found it got way more busy which kind of put me off.

It is still pretty nice inside there though - I used to spend almost as long relaxing in the sauna, hot tub, and steam room as I did working out.

The 4th floor is so bright and sunny it is nice to work out there in the winter.

Bacchus

TRIBE Promoter
Currently at the local community center for 40$ every 3 months.

it's a great deal, but there's certain a few things they dont have. I can get by with free weights for the most part, but it's frustrating sometimes.

thinking of joining Trainers when this is done (bloor and bathurst)

Hawk Eye

TRIBE Member
I could join The Adelaide Club for $21.50 a month. My work gets a huge discount with that club, except they only have 1 location which is the reason why im not joining it. The Adelaide club is freaking nice though.. you dont need locks for your locker as they have pin pads..everything is oak..they have a wet bar, pool tables etc etc.. it's more of a social club then a gym. There exercise classes are awesome as well. Best work out i've ever done was their boxercise class.. so good. They have other affiliate clubs that you can go to but you have to pay $10 or $15 each visit. I like Good Life bc they're just all over the place.. so convenient.

Last edited:

jazzsax

TRIBE Member
i pay 13 biweekly at premiere for a grandfathered plan.

never have an issue finding machines, though the location i visit usually can use an upgrade. Only time that's tough is in january, but now the post new years fatties are done coming. (except for 400 lb, diet coke on a treadmill guy... too funny)

miss riot

TRIBE Promoter
I did my free trial at 99 Sudbury and just joined with a corp rate $40/month and no contracts.

Towel service, sauna, but no pool.

I love it there. It's still a bit under construction so it has a nice raw feeling to it. It's never too busy, and I have a beautiful studio, usually to myself to do all my stretches and yoga in, after a work out.

I like spying on the people with trainers so I can pick up tips for myself.

Not a lot of selection of classes, but I don't really care for that.

Part of the deal also includes a biofit test to check you out and the guy who did mine was super cool and we hit it off so he is willing to train me for free here and there to get me to my goals.

Their mandate is really about the education of fitness, rather than pushing packages and trainers on you.

I am completely addicted and have been going everyday. I plan to ultra buffed up by the summer.

NemIsis

TRIBE Member
I joined when it was Bally's and that was the promo prior to their sell-off to Extreme I guess. When they switched they had to honour all old agreements.
Same ($40 a month and access to all locations). I'm presently with Goodlife, but it was a Bally's before and I signed up at the promo rate 10 years ago. It does increase, but barely.