• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Where do you people live?

orchid

TRIBE Member
Have people moved out of the city in droves to buy houses elsewhere and commute downtown? I was checking out Pickering (shudder) on MLS just now, and I can't believe how much more affordable a brand new nice house is there! With a nice big yard too!

I can either live way up at Jane and Lawrence to afford a detached house in the city with a yard, if you can even call way up there the "city". Or I can move to say, Pickering, and buy a way nicer house with way less potential problems because it's newer. Take the Go Train, and probably get to work faster. There's just as little soul up in the distant corners of T.O. as there is in the suburbs like Pickering and Mississauga.

The house we bought in spring 2010 up around Jane/St. Clair had termites. We're super lucky our home inspector found them in the one and only exposed wall in the entire house. We got out of the deal obviously.

I'm sure this had been discussed a lot on here, but let's just talk about it again. In Google search, Tribe is
the huge Toronto online community and social network focused on downtown living.

Is it really? Where are you living, and are you happy there? What's life like?

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

kuba

TRIBE Member
First Leslieville. Bought for $400K and sold for $540k in 3.5 years. That home today is probably $600-625 and I would never buy it (18x80, I renovated it to a degree, no parking). Moved to Don Mills. 11 minutes down to L-ville by the DVP for brunch, 70 by 140 lot, close to 401/DVP/work/downtown/friends.

Depending where you're looking I would never in a billion years move out of the city. I would rather move to something smaller in a better 'hood than live in the suburbs. UNLESS you're talking moving to another city, that's another story.

What's your budget?

orchid

TRIBE Member
To B.F.:

Did you buy a house? How is it living there? Do you pretty much need a car to get around locally for your shopping? Do you work downtown -- how long does it take you to get there?

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

orchid

TRIBE Member
First Leslieville. Bought for $400K and sold for $540k in 3.5 years. That home today is probably $600-625 and I would never buy it (18x80, I renovated it to a degree, no parking). Moved to Don Mills. 11 minutes down to L-ville by the DVP for brunch, 70 by 140 lot, close to 401/DVP/work/downtown/friends.

Depending where you're looking I would never in a billion years move out of the city. I would rather move to something smaller in a better 'hood than live in the suburbs. UNLESS you're talking moving to another city, that's another story.

What's your budget?

Nice profit there! You must've gotten in at a great time! Budget is maybe $350 - $375.

So you still need a car to get around -- what's the difference then between living there and the burbs? Taking the ttC downtown from where you are is probably almost out of the question.

Right now I'm in Parkdale - takes me 20 mins to get to work. It's pretty sweet. I kind of figure, if we're going to buy a house so far away from downtown (which is all we could afford to do here), why not just move to the burbs, get way more house for the same $$$ or less, and probably have a shorter commute to work? If you're way the hell up at 401, you're not really a part of the city anyway, right?

Either option seems dreadful, but so does renting forever.

NemIsis

TRIBE Member
I find Toronto very expensive, and more and more of my friends are moving out. Even those who are outside of Toronto are moving further out as they get older, prefering a quieter setting. My sis is considering moving to Meaford in the next year. Great for holidays though. It's a cute town.

I love where I live in Etobicoke, but if positions became available (at work), I would move out as well.

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
wow crazy! nice to meet you! i was a mess by the time you guys showed up.
LOL

so we found a 3 bedroom townhouse (built in 2006) on a little tucked-away side street that no one was buying because the owner had decorated it really terribly.
the house is in incredible condition, we basically just had to paint and change some light fixtures when we moved in. the lot is not terribly big - we have a backyard but it's small. we are also a 3 minute walk to TB park, so it doesn't pose much of a problem.

NemIsis

TRIBE Member
^^It's a long story, but as brief as i can be, I do understand her points. They can sell their house and buy a 1 acre property free and clear in Meaford. No more mortgage. Her best friend lives across the street (whose family is in the 'upper echelon' of the town.. so she has an in as she does love to volunteer for stuff). My sis can easily get a job at a pub, or work on her jewellry business (Her stuff is absolutely beautiful by the way. I get so many compliments on my silver bracelet). She and her fiance love to fish... They fish. She hates camping but she loves fishing :O. She was a huge clubber as a kid, and HATES it now. She's very different. It really makes sense.

Our 'brother'(my ex-roomie for 12 years/bro from another mother) is having a hard time dealing with this though. He's gay, and left saskatoon to get away from the small-town attitude. He can't imagine anyone not wanting to live in the T.dot. He also loves my sis to death and is pissed he'll have to travel to Meaford to see her :p. We'll manage though.

solacevip

TRIBE Promoter
Woodbine and Danforth......They be calling it "Upper Beaches". I love it here. So quiet but far East. Semi Detached house. Would rather move to a bigger detached house in the city. In due time.

NemIsis

TRIBE Member
^Depending on traffic, almost 2 hours north of Toronto. Once you hit Colllingwood, you keep going :O

That drive will kill me.

NemIsis

TRIBE Member
Woodbine and Danforth......They be calling it "Upper Beaches". I love it here. So quiet but far East. Semi Detached house. Would rather move to a bigger detached house in the city. In due time.

I love the upper and lower 'Beach' neighbourhoods. I also like the Bloor strip between Jane and Runnymede.

jocelyn dee

TRIBE Promoter
The house we bought in spring 2010 up around Jane/St. Clair had termites. We're super lucky our home inspector found them in the one and only exposed wall in the entire house. We got out of the deal obviously.

We're at Pape/Danforth in a small semi. When we bought 7 years ago we planned for it to be a starter home and to upgrade in 3 to 5 years.

7 years later we're still here and probably not going anywhere soon because we can't really afford a bigger house (unless we move farther out from downtown).

I can see the attraction of the suburbs because you get more house for your buck (and more yard). But the commute would KILL me.

I guess you gotta prioritize...

BTW - I grew up at Jane/Lawrence. If you work right downtown then you can take the GO train from Weston/Lawrence and it is pretty god. However, the neighbourhood is a little too sketch for me these days, so I wouldn't live there.

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
Hamilton near Gage Park.
wicked prices for 3 story 3+ bedrooms.
we bought for just under 200K.
in a few years time after interior reno's we'll up our value at least 50k.
after we're done with the backyard, we're laughing.
1 hour Go bus ride into Union station.

Last edited:

xtcfreak

TRIBE Member
Port Moody , BC. but fuck , I could never afford to buy here (or at least somewhere nice), so I will wait till I move back to Ontario. Then who knows, maybe out in the country somewhere.

Jay

sk8

TRIBE Member
South Barrie!

Love it!

my work is 20 minutes north of here, lots of stuff for kids, affordable housing, Lake Simcoe 5 minutes away, city has everything you'd need, only 1 hour from TO if the mood strikes (or to visit my family)... what's not to like?