1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Where did you buy your wedding dress?

Discussion in 'Girl Stuff Forum' started by geminigirl, Jul 19, 2010.

1. geminigirl

geminigirl TRIBE Member

Ok ladies, I need your help!

My cousin is getting married in *2* months. She has not got her wedding dress yet. She's nuts, I know!

She is not a frilly girl at all. She rides race horses for a living and also works for her brother's landscaping company.

This wedding is basically being planned in 2-3 months. It's an outdoor wedding on my aunts huge property out in the country.

She lives in Newmarket and will travel to Toronto for the right bridal store.

Can you PLEASE send us in the right direction to start this dress shopping stat!

I am not quite sure what her price point is. Nothing too pricey I suspect. She has the money, I just can't see her spending too much on a dress. She comes from a very traditional eastern european family(Hungarian), so the dress has to be somewhat of a big deal.

This whole dress shopping/wedding stuff is rather foreign to me. Help!:)

2. geminigirl

geminigirl TRIBE Member

My best friend just told me she bought hers at Windsor Bridal.

And also mentioned Ritché Bridal

Any more help is soo appreciated!

3. sk8

sk8 TRIBE Member

I bought mine here: Avioanni

Loved it and the place, at the time she was a small toronto designer, looks to have done quite well for herself :)

my dress was very simple, no frills, no poofs, but still fantastic - I'm a lot like your cousin. Not girly - I'm a wildlife biologist and i spend a lot of time in chest waders and getting pooped on.

4. geminigirl

geminigirl TRIBE Member

When making this thread I was hoping that you would post in here. I don't know you personally, but it is obvious by your posts that you are an outdoorsy girl like my cousin.

I will send her that link. Thank you.:)

5. Jennika

Jennika TRIBE Member

6. Booty Bits

Booty Bits TRIBE Member

i think if she only has a turn-around of 2 months, she will need to buy a sample dress, no?
    ritche is very large and carries a lot of stock so that is a good option.
    there's also Bridal and Beyond that carries a lot of stock.
    there is a whole block of bridal shops on danforth, east of broadview, so that is another good bet.
    then there are the shops on spadina south of queen, on the east side.

7. Bean

Bean TRIBE Member

I bought mine (off-the-rack, first dress I saw) at Fashion Crimes. Their website does not do justice to the amount of dresses that they have in stock! I recommend them for their great customer service. I purchased my dress 2 months before my wedding.

A friend bought her dress (also off-the-rack) at Avioanni and has nothing but positive things to say about the experience and dress. She purchased her dress about a month before her wedding.

Another option: The Brides' Project - Fighting cancer, one dress at a time (I don't have any first-hand experience with them, but have heard great things about them)

8. sk8

sk8 TRIBE Member

:D
    Happy to help!

9. skyparty

skyparty TRIBE Member

some small place called Eternity for $800 all in.

I never did find my perfect short wedding dress, but that was my second choice.

It worked.

It suited the purpose.

10. geminigirl

geminigirl TRIBE Member

Thank you Tribe ladies. Very helpful!:):)

11. awwnaw

awwnaw TRIBE Member

12. KillaLadY

KillaLadY TRIBE Member

I am going to purchase my dress from Bridal and Beyond. (I haven't decided which one yet, because I like two and I am having such a hard time picking "the one"). I am also wearing a saree and a lengha, so for me, it was important to find something that is comfortable, HOT as hell and made out of light material (I absolutely HATE typical wedding dresses).

Ritche Bridal has horrible service and their dress selection is full of crappy, cabagge-type skirts that I am far from interested in even trying, let alone buy.

I wanted a HOT, sexy non-typical wedding dress and Bridal and Beyond carry these types of dresses. They have a million store samples, they are super-friendly, not pushy sales girls.

Going through my second wedding, I know exactly what I want, how much I want to spend and I am not interested in small talk, nor suggestions from any of the sales people and this place definitely gives me everything that I need and more.
    Prices are also reasonable as well and with two locations, you are bound to find the dress you need.

13. Pyrovitae

Pyrovitae TRIBE Member

i got my dress off the rack at becker's bridal, purchased six weeks before the wedding:

Becker’s Bridal & Formal

it wasn't too expensive and they had a huge selection of dresses - i'm not a 'girly girl' either. my mom bought her wedding accessories there when she got married almost 45 years ago. :)

if she can't find anything plain enough maybe she could buy a bridesmaid's dress (if they have one in her size without having to pre-order,) in white or cream?

14. mcbee

mcbee TRIBE Member

I bought my dress as a sample off the rack at Lowon Pope on Queen St W. very non traditional, without a trace of beading, lace or poufy-ness. 5 years later and i still love my dress. now if only i still had the body to fit into it!

LOWON POPE. 779 Queen St West 416 504 8150

:)sarah

15. Psyrel

Psyrel TRIBE Member

My friend just started looking for an elegant, non-poofy wedding dress for a destination wedding. I've passed on the rec's from here and she's very grateful.

16. Bean

Bean TRIBE Member

^^^ I was married in the Caribbean and my dress was very appropriate for it - length: just below my knees; design: off-white, with a sheer, organza-type material overlaid, which had a smattering of tropical flowers, a few of which extended below the hem of the dress. :)

The best part: travelling with it was super easy. I turned it inside out, rolled it up in a pillow case and put it in a compression sac in my carry-on. Once there, I unpacked it and hung it in the bathroom with the shower on to steam out what few wrinkles it had.

17. awwnaw

awwnaw TRIBE Member

^ Psyrel - fyi - in case your friend is factoring transport into her selection; most airlines allow brides to bring their dress on board in a sealed garment bag and they hang it up for you in their own little cabin closet area.

18. KillaLadY

KillaLadY TRIBE Member

Great tip! I am definitely going to ask them to do that for me. :)

19. kick

kick TRIBE Member

I got my dress at Fashion Crimes on Queen St (they have a bridal section). I was young...It was short and cute...$500 off the rack :)