• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Where did all the goths go?

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories
Barrie still represents hard with the cyber goth movement last few times I was up there. They got a pretty small, black metal goth vibe too.

Hamilton is where any cultural movement that lasts beyond it's expiry date go to die. Used to be populated with mad metalheads in the late 90's early 00's.

Last edited:

praktik

TRIBE Member
Ya I still see the odd one in Toronto.

They're just more rare.

This should be a thing right, like "birding" but for people?

Instead of "oh! I see a ruby throated hummingbird on that tree!"

Its

"Look at the patterning on the hosiery of that goth chick, so distinctive! That's the best goth I've seen all month!"

When I went to the Guillermo del Toro exhibit at the AGO, there were a large number of Lolitas - kind of goth, but with an anime inspired twist.

They've fractured into subcultures. Just like ravers did.

Queen St. is so gentrified now - Foot Locker, Gap, Adidas Originals boutique, A&W. Urban Outfitters and other chains. There's still pockets of where goths used to hang out (like Velvet Underground) but they're leaving or their days are numbered. That fire that happened near Bathurst on the South side of Queen around 2008/2009 just accelerated the gentrification.

Last edited:

zerOGda2nd

TRIBE Member
The Toronto goth scene today (2015-present)
While goth has declined in popularity in Toronto, a loyal following still exists, congregating at clubs such as Nocturne[35] (the former Savage Garden[36]) on Queen Street West for the weekly Black Friday nights and various monthly and other regular events, and The Orb (popularly known by its previous name, The Devil's Cellar), which is in the basement of Celts Pub on Dundas Street West, for the monthly Dracula's Daughter night. A Goth Pub Social event also takes place on a monthly basis at Pauper's Pub on Bloor Street West, and Borderline Plus, a clothing and accessories store on Queen Street West, caters primarily to the goth/industrial scene. Velvet Underground, a stalwart of the alternative scene and once home to weekly live broadcasts by Toronto FM station 102.1 The Edge,[37] closed its doors at the end of August 2015[38] due to its owner, Liberty Entertainment Group, deciding to focus on its wine bars. The last event was the final night of the 2015 iteration of the Aftermath Festival. Velvet Underground was reopened by a local entertainment group Embrace Presents on February 12th, 2016 but as a live music venue.

Toronto goth scene - Wikipedia

praktik

TRIBE Member
When I went to the Guillermo del Toro exhibit at the AGO, there were a large number of Lolitas - kind of goth, but with an anime inspired twist.

They've fractured into subcultures. Just like ravers did.

Queen St. is so gentrified now - Foot Locker, Gap, Adidas Originals boutique, A&W. Urban Outfitters and other chains. There's still pockets of where goths used to hang out (like Velvet Underground) but they're leaving or their days are numbered. That fire that happened near Bathurst on the South side of Queen around 2008/2009 just accelerated the gentrification.
Those guys don't know how to do ________

Our _______ is the best _______

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

JamesM

TRIBE Member
Forget that guys name he was awesome he ended up opening a nightclub next door to the pit. I think I went once. Then he moved his shop to College and Yonge.