• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Where can I get my suit altered?

MoFo

TRIBE Member
I just found a vintage pin-strip suit from the 70's to early 80's. VERY dapper. VERY slick and sharplky cut. It fits me pretty well but I'm not sure if it really does because I really don't know how a suit should fit.

I also don't want to look like a banker. I want to take the "rules" of what a suit should look like and give it a slicker, tighter, rock and roll twist.

So I want to go to someone who actually knows about how suits should fit on a body, at least to know the rules.

The sleeves are too short, armpits are too high... anyone know if those can be fixed?
Can anyone recommend a place to go for alterations? I'm willing to pay if they do a good job.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Any suggestions on the colour of the shirt? My suit is very dark blue with thin grayish stripes about 3/4 of a centimeter apart.

mcbee

TRIBE Member
i can totally picture the type of suit you got sunny!
sweet.

try an ice blue shirt or a cranberry?
solid with a big collar.
i'm thinking styled a la brad pitt in oceans eleven.

any suggestions on an excellent dressmaker? i need my bridesmaid dress altered for the summer.

:)sarah

Little1

TRIBE Member
Take it to Moores, they do alterations there, and they know how a suit should fit. You'd be able to get it back within a few days, and its a bit cheaper than taking it to a tailor. As well, if you don't know how reputable the tailor is, are you going to trust him with a suit that he might screw up on?

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Bean

TRIBE Member
I take all my stuff to High Park Tailoring. It's on the East side of Roncesvalles, south of Howard Park Avenue.

It costs about $10 for him to shorten pants. i'm not sure what it will run you for a suit.

he's reasonably priced; my dad gets his suits done there.

also, he might sell you another vintage suit (you'll see what i mean if you go there!) :)

peace,

sabina

.:. share what you know, learn what you don't .:.

LadyLinzee

TRIBE Member
Holt Renfrew!

Sonny baby! Might be a bit pricey but you KNOW they will do a great job!

2 words! HOLT - RENFREW on Bloor Street!

Linzee xx

PS. What happen to you on the weekend! You were missing in action! :)

Aphrodite

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by swenard
Try a tailor. I heard they're good with alterations
Bwahaha!!

ps ~ I wouldn't go for a big collar.. that's been done to death. can't wait to see you on Saturday Bobos :)

OPEN BAR SAY WHAT?

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Re: Holt Renfrew!

Originally posted by LadyLinzee
Sonny baby! Might be a bit pricey but you KNOW they will do a great job!

2 words! HOLT - RENFREW on Bloor Street!

Linzee xx

PS. What happen to you on the weekend! You were missing in action! :)
Yah, that was my backup. But I wonder if they'll scoff at my vintage suit. It's not like it's a Gucci suit. It's what the new Gucci suits were probably inspired by.
Well, I hate trance so I didn't go to System. I went to a jungle party which was way fun.
And I was doing the DGRDG party, honey on Saturday! The party we created!

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Little1
Take it to Moores, they do alterations there, and they know how a suit should fit. You'd be able to get it back within a few days, and its a bit cheaper than taking it to a tailor. As well, if you don't know how reputable the tailor is, are you going to trust him with a suit that he might screw up on?
There's a Moore's by my house. But that's the thing, I want someone who will know about the dandy kind of look. Not the professional banker look. I'm scared they'll loosen it and make it fit my body for the office or something.

Right now the sides go in a bit and contour my torso.
The suit is tight. I have to sort of be in pain to get the blazer part on. But it looks fine. I'm wondering if that's wrong cuz I wanted it to be sort of tight anyway...

Last edited:

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by mcbee
i can totally picture the type of suit you got sunny!
sweet.

try an ice blue shirt or a cranberry?
Cranberry? As in a reddish orange? Or a deeper red?

Nicorory

TRIBE Member
Honestly the best place I know of is my local cleaners up in my hood at Yonge and Sheppard.
Most of the better dry cleaning places also offer alterations, even specialty ones. Some have a tailor come in one or two days a week especially for that purpose. Even if they don't have a regular tailor, the will at least be able to recommend someone they know for the alterations.
Hope this helps,
Rory

vinder

TRIBE Member
sunny, if the sleeves are too short, you might have a problem getting it to fit at all if there's not enough material left. as well, it will leave a crease where the old sleeve ended too.

but still take it to a tailor, you never know. i wouldn't go to a moore's though, they fit daddy's suits, not exactly what you're looking for.

and there's nothing wrong with teh banker look!

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Yeah, there's JUST the right amount of material actually. And could I iron the crease out?

And where would u suggest, Vindy?

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

vinder

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by MoFo
Yeah, there's JUST the right amount of material actually. And could I iron the crease out?

And where would u suggest, Vindy?
ironing the crease out might be doable, but considering that sleeve has been that length since the 70's......

honestly, i'd try and go to the oldest tailor you could find...one with a really ghetto sign. i'm sure they haven't seen much business since the 70's either, so they'll know exactly how to tailor it!

hehehe...

or you could go to holt's and take the snobbery, but at least they'll prolly be able to do what you want...although most of the tailors there are old banker suit wearing guys too....i suggest doing what bean said, that high park tailoring, if they've got stuff like that, then most likely they'll be knowledgeable in how it's supposed to fit, and they can work their magic...

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by janiecakes

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!
Doesn't he? Unless he wears short-sleeve shirts and polyester grandpa pants and hides in the back with his coffee and stress ball...

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by vinder

and do NOT call me vindy or i'll break your rack ass in three
LMAO!

Random body parts! Random sections that you'll break it in, even! NICE!