1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Where can I get a Rane DJ mixer serviced in TO?

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by alexd, Apr 9, 2010.

1. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

My Rane MP22z is starting to get a little crusty on the input 2 fader... I think its time to get it cleaned, checked, and serviced. Any suggestions on where I can get this serviced in the GTA?

2. djfear

djfear TRIBE Member

Alex, are you up to do it on your own? Often times you just have to take the electronics apart, clean it up with some lubricants, clean any dust, ensure the fader contacts are working and connected, solder any loose wires and you're good to go.

You really just need a mini screw driver set some pliers and a soldering gun. But that's if you have time....

technics1200

3. alexd

when i move the Input 2 fader side to side a bit it crackles. also, the right channel on input 2 drifts higher and lower a bit so I think it might need replacing. I tried blowing some canned air into the slit but it hasn't done anything.

It's such a clean mixer, when something like crustiness happens, it's a travesty!

4. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

that's what she said!

5. alexd

I have all that on hand. What kind of lubricant are you talking about?

6. solacevip

solacevip TRIBE Promoter

7. rulz

rulz TRIBE Member

long and mcquade ?

8. ian

ian TRIBE Member

A second vote for Moog. I think they will fix it up, or at least know where to do so. You could also call Shakedown sound.

9. litespeed

litespeed Well-Known TRIBEr

Play de Record
    Moog
    Audio Dynamics
    Westbury

10. djfear

djfear TRIBE Member

Ah sorry I'm answering so late....

When I used to skratch a lot I would always try to make my fader(s) as smooth as possible, so I would take them apart, lube them up, bend the contacts back a bit so there was less resistance, anything to make them smoother.

The crackling sounds like a loose connection of some sort, possibly to do with the soldering joints and/or fader connectors being broken or loose. I forget what the actual lubricant was called... it's at my parents house probably so maybe I can find out. But... if you don't want to take everything apart and mess with it, then I would recommend the other suggestions on this board.

You could also just buy a new fader and replace it. From what I recall they were in the $100 range.... but this info is based off of a 05pro ltd circa 1999 mixer. Wow it's been a while!

11. djfear

djfear TRIBE Member

When you say the right channel "drifts" higher and lower... does that mean it does it on its own? Try unplugging the fader and playing something on that channel to see if you still get that drifting sound problem. If you don't, then it's the fader, if you do... then you may want to get your mixer serviced.