• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Where can I get 3D printing done in Toronto?

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I am developing a small product and need to produce a prototype and perhaps a mold to replicate the product. It is pretty simple and has no moving parts so I was thinking that a 3D printer might work for me.

Are there places like Kinkos where you can go to get stuff 3D printed?

What kind of software do you need to create 3d objects for 3#D printing?

Liability

TRIBE Member
The Printing House (TPH) offers 3d printing services.

Alternatively, if you want invest a little time, several libraries offer 3d modelling software and printers all for the cost of a library card and the materials used. You would need to take the cert course and learn the software.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
The Printing House (TPH) offers 3d printing services.

Alternatively, if you want invest a little time, several libraries offer 3d modelling software and printers all for the cost of a library card and the materials used. You would need to take the cert course and learn the software.

Thanks!

workdowntown

TRIBE Member
FreeCAD (simplified for end-users) or Blender (full-on 3D modelling, steep learning curve but far more advanced) for design, Ultimaker Cura for slicing/gcode/printing.
If you'd rather not go balls-deep into figuring this stuff out yourself, most graphic designers should be able to cook you up an .stl file of what you need at a reasonable rate.

Also check if someone else has uploaded something like it (depending on their copyright-licensing you may or may not be able to use it or derivations thereof in a commercial product): Thingiverse

You can also get a decent resolution 3D-printer these days for sub-CAD$500, but know what you're getting into and the limitations of the platform in producing anything that requires fine-precision/use in mission-critical projects.

Also worth figuring out the differences between the types of filament used and their respective use profiles.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories