• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

When's the Last Time you went Bowling?

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
I think I would go bowling more often with a downtown location. I think I would prefer a straight up bowling alley though.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

IgStar

TRIBE Member
ouch! $65???! that's a lil much for bowling.

I went cosmic bowling a few years ago..that was fun.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Nightclub resto bowling... hmmm.... it seems to me that people go bowling on special occasions like someone's birthday, or a meetup or something, so I don't know if that is a huge demographic they are going to tap into. And the existing hardcore bowlers have their own leagues and venues already that are probably not as chichi and expensive. Perhaps this place will actually create a new scene and a new type of scenester: the post-hipster-bowler, or the gino-bowler...

Where do people get millions of dollars to pour into far fetched ideas like this (and Circa, Lucid, etc)?

Eclectic

TRIBE Member
Dudes in the picture look like first class douches who attach themselves to whatever the new "hip" trend is.

And I went bowling last weekend.

It helps that I live like 5 minutes from an alley and my best friends have 2 little kids who love bowling.

Bumpers up FTW!

Eclectic

TRIBE Member
And $65 an hour for a lane isn't *that* pricey....it's about double what a regular game costs if you get 5 people...

unique2100

TRIBE Promoter
Big up Newton Brooks $2 games. Almost went around here the other night $25 an hour was more then we felt like wasting. What's this $65 shit? FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Last game I bowled was a 188. I had 6 strikes in a row before my lane got fucked up and I had to switch lanes thus throwing off my chance at a perfect game.

PAUZE

TRIBE Promoter
I'll be honest, I will probably check it, but again I think it's something that will last for a year then die.

Is 10 lanes enough for busy downtown?

TRO

TRIBE Member
most of you probably won't go as some of the Uniq guys are involved (Cobra, Brant, chavel)

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

alison87

TRIBE Member
In Australia those nightclub/bowling joints took off about 10 years ago. They're a nice change from just going out to the pub and playing a few games of pool. It's especially popular with parties. One place i remember had local DJs spinning several nights a week, which is a nice way for up-and-comers to get some gigs under their belts. I've never been to an oldskool bowling alley and i would never want to. No champagne bucket next to the scoring table? Criminal!

Destiny Productions

TRIBE Promoter
Correct - its the ownership group from Cobra, Cheval, Jacob's, Brant House (Uniq) along with some investors. I like the idea - gives some variety for the area.

sianspherica

TRIBE Member
I got excited by "downtown bowling alley" until I heard it would be at Richmond and John, because that instantly raised suspicions it would try to be some upscale hipster place that charges ridiculous fees for lanes.

and low and behold sounds exactly like it's going to be.

:(

Playtime Bowl at Dufferin/Lawrence, nice place, their peak rates are $33/hour. $65 is ridiculous.